Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Hissing sound from center console

My car has developed a hissing sound coming from the climate controls in the center console. In the past the hissing sound would occur briefly when adjusting the temperature or the AC, but now the sound is relatively constant. The hiss stops when you turn off the AC, but otherwise it is fairly constant.

My guess is that the thermostat for the AC has some sort of pneumatic linkage. The thermostat in my office makes a similar hissing sound when you adjust the temperature setting.

My hope is that something minor is stuck and will resolve itself. My fear is that if I don't address the problem soon, it may cause some bigger failure.

Anyone experience anything like this? Any thoughts on whether I should give it time, or take it in right away?

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 11-13-2012, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 02 Accord & '12 535xi
Sounds like the makings of a not so awesome sequel starring Samuel L. Jackson. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

2012 535xi DG II, Blk nappa lthr, Prem sound, CWP, Head-up, Multi cont seats, Lux seats, Prem, & Tech.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:55 AM
Serious About Shine

Send a message via Yahoo to bighungry618
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDraper View Post
Sounds like the makings of a not so awesome sequel starring Samuel L. Jackson. (Sorry, couldn't resist)
LMAO...."Snakes in my Mother*****g 5'er"

OP, get it checked, def not normal.

"IRENE" = 2011 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Dakota, Premium, Cold
Mods:
JB4 Stage 2, Black Grille Surrounds, Black Fender Signal Trim, Body color front / rear reflectors and rear diffuser, DeBadged, 20% LLumar ATR premium tint.
To keep your car looking its very best:
Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies
Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighungry618 View Post

Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Well, I finally got around to getting this fixed (when the system stopped blowing cold air ). Turns out I had a pinched o-ring and all of the freon leaked out. The o-ring was under the hood by the compressor, so not sure why there was hissing coming from the climate control panel. Anyway, figured I'd give an update.

What's the chance that I damaged my AC by running it without freon? Works great now, but my guess is that I put some undue wear and tear on it....
Old 12-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgscott987 View Post
Well, I finally got around to getting this fixed (when the system stopped blowing cold air ). Turns out I had a pinched o-ring and all of the freon leaked out. The o-ring was under the hood by the compressor, so not sure why there was hissing coming from the climate control panel. Anyway, figured I'd give an update.

What's the chance that I damaged my AC by running it without freon? Works great now, but my guess is that I put some undue wear and tear on it....
Shouldn't be.

Your compressor would have a low pressure cutoff switch that would disable the compressor once the refrigerant pressure got below a certain level for exactly this reason. Because after all, the refrigerant is also the lubricant.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-11-2012, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighungry618 View Post

Funny - I was just reading about the snake pavilion collapsing at the Denver Zoo. Now the snakes don't have a pit to hiss in!
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 11-14-2012, 06:22 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
It's not normal, I would take it to the dealer.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)