Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 PM
GO GET IT $

Mein Auto: F10 550I
Battery discharge after a few days!!

I seem to be having an issue with the battery discharging after only a few days of not using the truck. I alternate between my F10 and the E53 often so in only 4 days of not using the e53. Battery is completely dead. I mean like I can't even unlock the doors. Trying to boost it as I type this but have no idea if it will crank when I got back outside.i figure I leave it boosting for 10 mins or so before I crank it.... Any advise? Is this happening to anyone? My 2000 E38 used to do the same thing. Is there a permanent fix for this or do I need a tender?
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2012, 12:29 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i
Connections clean?
Anything plugged into the cigaret outlets? Phone charger etc. Doors completely closed, no dome lights, hood/truck lights on or anything of the sort for a potential draw?

How old is the battery?
Does the battery have a full and complete charge? A small and short charge is not sufficient enough and the battery can be weak and losing full charging capabilities. May also have internal issues as well.

If not, this could be a parasitic draw issue and you'll need to track it down.

Check the above, if you need help finding a possible drain in your vehicle, and you have a VDOM here is two helpful links. However, Proceed with caution, shorting out your leads could pose harm to your OBC.

Use Caution:
BMWs are famous for their long shut-down times and purely from my own experience I expect somewhere between 16 and 18 minutes before sleep mode is reached. This wait-time is a real headache when trying to fault-find because, until you have allowed enough time to expire, you could end up chasing a problem that doesn't exist. Furthermore, start tracing too early by pulling or replacing circuit fuses and you're likely to reset a controller, adding more wait-time.

[U]Perform a Parasitic Draw Test/U]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=d3_yWnUH2Sw

Here is a helpful video as well... Get through the first 3 minutes of this video and it can start being very informative. Towards the end he also touches on issues with Luxury vehicles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=KF1gijj03_0

~Mud

Last edited by Mudnyrey; 11-15-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:33 PM
GO GET IT $

Mein Auto: F10 550I
Turns out the battery had a bad cell. Replaced it and now it's ok... In the intern found out I had two bad pulleys . Replaced those as well