Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: na
Snow.. Go i -or- xi?

With the caveat that if I go xi, it would be with all seasons, and if I go i, I would definitely keep a set of wheels and winter treads.

I have an E46 now with winter tires that I mount up (Blizzaks) and I've always done fine with that. But as I'm ordering the F30, I get to pick my path. I had been leaning xi, but as I learned that the sport suspension is deleted from the sport builds if you get the xi, I've begun to contemplate sticking with the i. I have never had the sport suspension on a BMW as I've always gotten used and took what it came with.

I know if I get the xi, that I'd have to add the adaptive suspension for $1000 to tighten up the roll. I learned that on some test drives with adaptive and non-adaptive suspension. There's a difference. So it'd be a bit cheaper to go i with a separate set of wheels and tires.

Thanks for your help everybody. I'm excited. My 3rd BMW. My first new one.
Ads by Google
Old 11-14-2012, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 335 luxury line
after having a 330 3 series rear wheel drive, a lexus is-f with 19 inch sport tires, and living in north jersey.. I have learned my lesson. I am getting an xi. it's up to you.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Living here in the desert, I bought the i version. But if I lived in PA (or elsewhere in the snow belt), I would get the Xi version. And despite your disclaimer, you can still buy snow tires if the AWD is not enough. Interestingly, the AWD will hold its value better than the RWD in the snowy north, so the effective cost is fairly low.

The alternative (if your budget will support it) is to get a dedicated winter truck or SUV, and park the 328i (or 335i) during the winter. Then you can order the sport suspension and summer-only tires for your F30.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: boat
Get the Xi, its like sex with a ribbed condom
Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner44 View Post
Get the Xi, its like sex with a ribbed condom
rwd is like sex without a condom
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
get the xi, its like sex with a ribbed condom
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeanuj View Post
rwd is like sex without a condom

Click image for larger version

Name:	Perfect 1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	349692
Old 11-15-2012, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
I live in one of the snowiest parts of Ontario and i know a few peopl ehere with RWD 2 series who say it is fine in the snow. You do have to change how you drive though. THe xdrive is not as low as the normal 335i either, so you do lose some aesthetics.

Last edited by jtuds; 11-15-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: S2000
order with rwd and with the price difference, purchase snow/winter tires for the 6 days we get snow here in New Jersey. I personally feel rwd with winter tires will perform better than awd with all season. My S2000 has performed just fine the past 7 years I have owned it.

Last edited by itsmeAnuj; 11-14-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Most Bimmerfesters with experience will tell you they'd rather have RWD with a proper set of winter tires any day of the week and that they have no trouble getting where they want to go with that set up. They'll also tell you they'd rather have RWD with winter tires than AWD with all seasons. Unless you routinely drive mountainous, snow packed roads a proper RWD 3er should work just fine for you and be more fun to drive when it's not winter.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-14-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Most Bimmerfesters with experience will tell you they'd rather have RWD with a proper set of winter tires any day of the week and that they have no trouble getting where they want to go with that set up. They'll also tell you they'd rather have RWD with winter tires than AWD with all seasons. Unless you routinely drive mountainous, snow packed roads a proper RWD 3er should work just fine for you and be more fun to drive when it's not winter.
This is exactly why I chose RWD and a separate winter tire/wheel set. I think a key consideration is the terrain where you drive most? Here in Chicagoland - it is mostly flat. My RWD Infiniti G35 wBlizzaks got me around just fine over the past 5 years and I expect my 335i with Dunlop Wintersports will do even better. And when it isn't winter, my RWD w summer tires is more fun to drive than AWD w all-seasons.

If I lived in Vermont and drove to ski areas alot in hilly terrain and frequent snow, I would have made a different choice.

Net - there is no right answer other than the one that meets your specific needs.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 PM
BMW Platinum Visa« Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0gue View Post

First off, congrats.

Secondly, no matter AWD or RWD, you need dedicated snow tires, period. In the United States, AWD is really nothing more than an excuse for drivers to be less safe because they're too lazy to swap their tires out 2x a year. I know this firsthand, learned the hard way.

So, you're real question is: "Do I get dedicated snow tires on XDrive or do I get dedicated snow tires on RWD?"

And the answer is: "You live in a location where you're going to have snow maybe 10 out of 365 days, so you get RWD."

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic« | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package«
Old 11-14-2012, 11:01 PM

Get the xi bro, belive me, the people that have went with xi regret that they did not do it earlier. I have read it so many times
Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i 6MT
It's a BMW. Get the "i" and buy a Subaru/Audi for snow days.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
It's a BMW. Get the "i" and buy a Subaru/Audi for snow days.
A used one?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 PM

No do not get rwd because its a bmw lol, get XI for the more planted to the road feeling, faster acceleration, better control in the rain and the snow. You do not need snow tires if you get the xi.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 PM

"xDrive or RWD both have significant pros and cons (many have been mentioned in this thread), and it's basically a matter of personal preference. In general, this is how I would summarize things:

- If you want greater traction when accelerating on snow/ice/wet pavement and don't want to have to deal with switching out tires twice a year, get xDrive.

- If you want to save a little money on the car and gas and prefer the lowered ride height of RWD sport models, go for that. You should get some snow tires if you go this route though (or all-seasons at the very least)."

Thats from another thread.

no one knows how much gas xdrive actually waste but if you get xdrive and care about how a car handles, just know you need the dynamic handling package. This is because the xdrive sport line does NOT come with a sport suspension. It has a softer more comfort like suspension. Unless of course you get dynamic handling package

Last edited by wayner44; 11-14-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
"xDrive or RWD both have significant pros and cons (many have been mentioned in this thread), and it's basically a matter of personal preference. In general, this is how I would summarize things:

- If you want greater traction when accelerating on snow/ice/wet pavement and don't want to have to deal with switching out tires twice a year, get xDrive.

- If you want to save a little money on the car and gas and prefer the lowered ride height of RWD sport models, go for that. You should get some snow tires if you go this route though (or all-seasons at the very least)."

Thats from another thread.

no one knows how much gas xdrive actually waste but if you get xdrive and care about how a car handles, just know you need the dynamic handling package. This is because the xdrive sport line does NOT come with a sport suspension. It has a softer more comfort like suspension. Unless of course you get dynamic handling package
i invite you to try driving in snow with Xdrive and summer performance tires.
i also invite you to explain how xdrive helps braking.

you still should run snow tires-- all season tires are mediocre in all conditions, master of none. max performance summer tires and performance snows give you the best traction in their respective conditions.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...etyBelow45.jsp

for the record i have had both. my 01 was a RWD. ran max perf summer tires, and snows
my S60R was awd, i tried the AWD + A/S route, it was terrible. soft sloppy tires in the summer, and so so grip in the snow. tossed that setup after a few months.
07 was RWD and swapped tires. never got stuck
2010 is awd. hate the ride height increase. still swapped tires
2013 will be rear wheel drive and 6MT
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 11-15-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
No do not get rwd because its a bmw lol, get XI for the more planted to the road feeling, faster acceleration, better control in the rain and the snow. You do not need snow tires if you get the xi.
You always need snow tires. No form of technology replaces the right rubber.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic« | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package«
Old 11-15-2012, 07:16 AM
1-5-3-6-2-4

Send a message via Skype™ to rtgirard
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
You always need snow tires. No form of technology replaces the right rubber.

BJ
I don't always agree with BJ, but when I do, it's usually on the topic of snow tires. Drive safely, my friends.

BMWCCA# 457109
Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0gue View Post
With the caveat that if I go xi, it would be with all seasons, and if I go i, I would definitely keep a set of wheels and winter treads.

I have an E46 now with winter tires that I mount up (Blizzaks) and I've always done fine with that. But as I'm ordering the F30, I get to pick my path. I had been leaning xi, but as I learned that the sport suspension is deleted from the sport builds if you get the xi, I've begun to contemplate sticking with the i. I have never had the sport suspension on a BMW as I've always gotten used and took what it came with.

I know if I get the xi, that I'd have to add the adaptive suspension for $1000 to tighten up the roll. I learned that on some test drives with adaptive and non-adaptive suspension. There's a difference. So it'd be a bit cheaper to go i with a separate set of wheels and tires.

Unless you have a specific reason to go RWD I would recommend the AWD. The AWD car, despite lacking the sport suspension, will give most drivers 99% of the fun offered by the RWD. The design of the AWD system is such that, under normal conditions, more power is delivered to the rear wheels thus providing the RWD feel. Likewise few people can push either car to their limits.

Last edited by sunny5280; 11-15-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
I personally like sports suspension, low ride height and staggered look. Well drive comfort is less but new F30 should solve it with adaptive suspension. If you live in area where you dont get lot of snow then I dont see reason to get xi. Those few days you can use alternate transportation.

335d Black Sapphire/Biege/Premium/Sport/Cold/Nav/CA/PDC/iPod

Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i X
I've had three BMW's all with X drive. We live in the Chicago area and get a fair amount of snow even though the last few years have been milder. We leave the all weather tires on and it hasn't been an issue. For really big snows we drive the Jeep. Easy Peasy.
1994 - Present Jeeps
Old 11-15-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn Lasser View Post
I've had three BMW's all with X drive. We live in the Chicago area and get a fair amount of snow even though the last few years have been milder. We leave the all weather tires on and it hasn't been an issue. For really big snows we drive the Jeep. Easy Peasy.

I lived in the frozen tundra of Northern New England for 14 years. My RWD E93 on snow tires could run rings around an E90 AWD on all seasons. Ultimately, it's all about the rubber. I was far more confident and planted in an E93 RWD on snow tires than I ever was in an E90 AWD on all season tires. Going uphill, braking, it's all in favor of the snow tire setup.

And as an owner of an E90 AWD who rode on the same snow tires as my E93 RWD I can tell you emphatically that while all-wheel-drive is superior to rear-wheel drive, it's only by a factor of 5 to 7% at most. Frankly, I was shocked at how little improvement there was in my all-wheel-drive car compared to my rear wheel drive car, again, both cars on the exact same snow tires, and in the exact same wintry conditions. Driving up my driveway, going up a hill, end of the day in an unplowed parking lot, only a marginal improvement for all-wheel-drive over rear-wheel drive.

I'm in New Jersey now, and just bought a rear-wheel drive F30 for just this reason. I get the great performance nine months out of the year, and for the other three months I bought a set of the same Nokian dedicated snow tires which is all anyone needs.

It's all about the snow tires. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people who buy xDrive cars do so because they're too lazy to change into them.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 11-15-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i X
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I lived in the frozen tundra of Northern New England for 14 years. My RWD E93 on snow tires could run rings around an E90 AWD on all seasons. Ultimately, it's all about the rubber. I was far more confident and planted in an E93 RWD on snow tires than I ever was in an E90 AWD on all season tires. Going uphill, braking, it's all in favor of the snow tire setup.

And as an owner of an E90 AWD who rode on the same snow tires as my E93 RWD I can tell you emphatically that while all-wheel-drive is superior to rear-wheel drive, it's only by a factor of 5 to 7% at most. Frankly, I was shocked at how little improvement there was in my all-wheel-drive car compared to my rear wheel drive car, again, both cars on the exact same snow tires, and in the exact same wintry conditions. Driving up my driveway, going up a hill, end of the day in an unplowed parking lot, only a marginal improvement for all-wheel-drive over rear-wheel drive.

I'm in New Jersey now, and just bought a rear-wheel drive F30 for just this reason. I get the great performance nine months out of the year, and for the other three months I bought a set of the same Nokian dedicated snow tires which is all anyone needs.

It's all about the snow tires. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people who buy xDrive cars do so because they're too lazy to change into them.

BJ
Thanks for the write up BJ! For my driving, which is essentially suburban/city driving on streets that have been mostly plowed, where the terrain is mostly flat (bummer) and the snow isn't blizzard like, the X drive with all season tires has been ok for me the last seven or so years. If I had to drive through more snow or in an area when the snow plows were infrequent, I'd probably go with the snow tires which we have on the Jeep. I'm definitely new to the forum and new to the technical car talk (which I am definitely liking), but I'm not new to driving a BMW with X Drive.

In terms of the vast majority of BMW users buying X Drive because they are too lazy to have the tires changed, pshaw. When we bought the first BMW the dealer told us with X Drive you don't need snow tires. Now, while that may or may not be true, I think suggesting people who buy it are lazy might not be the whole truth. Having said that, if I find myself in the snowy frozen tundra of New England, look for my 335iX *with* snow tires. Peace.
1994 - Present Jeeps
Old 11-15-2012, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: na
Thanks much for the awesome input. I've made my decision.

We do get some heavy snows here, and it does pile up a bit over time. But, I've driven RWD BMWs and for the last 5 years I've used Blizzaks with great success. The only big drawback was the expense of the strip and mount as I did not have an extra set of wheels. This time, I will get the extra set of wheels with winter tires.

I decided on RWD primarily because I am happy with the performance for 10 months a year and I park in a parking garage on the roof, which requires a LOT of tight turns up and down. I think the AWD would wear tires faster.

But the MAJOR reason was that they delete the sport suspension off the AWD cars. So I would be compelled to add the dynamic handling kit. So secondarily to the desires for how the car behaves, I'm figuring $3k for the xi difference with DHP. I can get mounted Blizzaks for half that.

With the difference, I pay for the upgrade from Sport to M-Sport!!!!

So 335i M-Sport, next to choose my options. As we are on a winter theme, I am DEFINITELY getting the cold wx package with the headed steering wheel. That compels leather.. Beyond that -- well, that can be another thread.

Last edited by r0gue; 11-15-2012 at 03:19 PM.