Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-15-2012, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 328i
Unhappy Engine speed increases but car did not respond

Hello,

I really need your help and advice.
Just a couple of minutes ago,I've had a problem with my car.While I was driving the car, for a couple of seconds I realized that there was a problem with the acceleration.Because when I step on the gas pedal,the speed of the car did not increase.The engine speed on the tachometer increased but the car did not respond.What can be the problem?

I am waiting for your responses.

Thank you.
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Manual or automatic?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
Manual or automatic?
Automatic
Old 11-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Low trans fluid, and/or slipping clutchpack.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 11-15-2012, 02:52 PM

Thank you for the replies.

I just drove the car .While driving,sometimes I decelerated the speed and then try to set on the gas pedal but again the car did not respond.Then I removed my foot from the gas pedal and after a second again set on the gas pedal hardly.Then car responded and accelerated.This scene occurred a couple of times.
By the way , the reverse gear is not working now.A couple of months ago,I had a problem with the reverse gear.Then it disappeared.But now it has appeared.

Now regarding these new information,what could be the problem?Low trans fluid, and/or slipping clutchpack cause this kind of problem?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by teomanx View Post
Thank you for the replies.

I just drove the car .While driving,sometimes I decelerated the speed and then try to set on the gas pedal but again the car did not respond.Then I removed my foot from the gas pedal and after a second again set on the gas pedal hardly.Then car responded and accelerated.This scene occurred a couple of times.
By the way , the reverse gear is not working now.A couple of months ago,I had a problem with the reverse gear.Then it disappeared.But now it has appeared.

Now regarding these new information,what could be the problem?Low trans fluid, and/or slipping clutchpack cause this kind of problem?
If you look near the top of the E46 Forum page, you`ll see an ongoing Sticky Thread dealing with various auto trans issues. It would probably be a good idea for you to read this.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 11-19-2012, 02:03 PM

2 days ago, I took my car to a mechanic.Before going to the mechanic, reverse gear were not working.The mechanic sat on the driver seat for a test drive and reverse gear started to work.It was really interesting.
He drove the car at very high speeds and tried to test the transmission.The car did not do the respond problem I explained before.Mechanic said that the car is shifting at high gears very smoothly but at low gears shifting makes noise.
After the test drive, mechanic told me that the problem was in the transmission,not at torque converter or any other thing.He said that the transmission was failing.He recommended me to change /rebuilt the transmission and quoted $3000-$3300 price for the transmission.It was too much for me because I am a graduate student.He made this decision without checking the other parts of the car.Do you think this is normal?Can a mechanic make a such decision without checking the other parts of the car?

After that,yesterday while I was driving,the car didn't respond again when I stepped on the gas pedal.I remember that I stepped into the gas pedal hardly and a couple of seconds later I realized the burning smell.Besides these, yesterday reverse gear was not working for a time and after that it started to work.
I searched these symptoms on google and found that transmission fluid should be checked.

I am really looking for your advices,recommendations.

Thank you.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i, 2004 325i
Yes, before you go any further, have the transmission fluid level checked. But it's not a simple thing to do, so you might want to find a mechanic (or someone knowledgeable about these cars) you really trust to do it for you. If you want to try it yourself, here's what a very honest local BMW indy told me to do (which is different from the procedure used when doing a trans fluid drain & fill):

1). Jack up the car at all four points, and make sure it's perfectly level, or maybe even slightly higher on the left, where the fill plug is located.

2) Have a suitable container filled with a quart of your ATF of choice (another VERY contronversial subject) the siphon pump screwed on, the pump primed, nearby and ready for action

3) Loosen the fill plug, and unscrew it until it's just barely keeping the fluid from leaking out

4) Start the car, and then quickly dive under the car, remove the fill plug, stuff the siphon pump's line into the hole, and pump fluid into the transmission as quickly as you can. When it starts leaking out the hole (with any luck, you'll be able to add a fair bit of fluid before this happens), stop pumping, grab the fill plug, and screw it back on as quickly as you can.

5) Let everything cool off for several hours, and repeat the process. If you're able to get a significant amount of additional ATF in the second time, you may want to repeat it a third time.

The way the indy explained it to me that when the transmission is nearly full, which it usually will be, unless there's a leak, fully warming it up by shifting through the gears following the normal method after a drain & fill will quickly cause the fluid to cavitate, and cause the frothy fluid to spill out of the fill hole before the trans is really full. I experienced this first hand. The reason I think this method, strange as it sounds, is correct, is because when I did my drain & fill a year and a half ago, I was puzzled to find that a good half quart less fluid went back in than came out. I assumed I had measured wrong, and called it a day. When I recently followed the method described above, I was able to add a solid 1/2 - 2/3 of a quart, almost exactly matching the previous discrepancy. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test if topping up the fluid cured the car's transmission slippage when cold, because the very next day, the car was side-swiped by a recycling truck, and has been at the body shop ever since.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Did you read the thread Fast Bob suggested you read? Your symptoms are consistent with a failing transmission and are a common failure for certain automatic transmissions. Your mechanic is likely aware of that, hence his recommendation.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 11-19-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
Did you read the thread Fast Bob suggested you read? Your symptoms are consistent with a failing transmission and are a common failure for certain automatic transmissions. Your mechanic is likely aware of that, hence his recommendation.
Yes,I have read all of them.But I could not find an exact match for my situation.
So only choice is transmission rebuilt/change,right?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
Quote:
Originally Posted by teomanx View Post
Yes,I have read all of them.But I could not find an exact match for my situation.
So only choice is transmission rebuilt/change,right?
no, since it sounds like you are not a DIYer, I suggest you take it to a local trustworthy transmission shop-hopefully there is one in your town, and explain the symptoms and tell them you want the fluid level checked...like Variocam stated above!