Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Razor535

Mein Auto: 2009 535
What else can go wrong with a window tinting?

So I bought a 2009 cpo 535 and may I say I couldn't be happier with the sweetest ride ever. I wanted to polish it up a bit with tinting the windows. I shopped around for the best price and lifetime warranty. Going rate in my area was $220, but I found a place for $185 and same lifetime warranty. After the job was done I found that their solution dripped and basically bleached the leather on each of the doors. Needless to say I was furious, but they managed to clean it off. It looked fine upon inspection, but I took it home and found that there was damage to the rear left door. See pics. They have agreed to refund the entire price, but I'm still left with a damaged door. Any tips on how I can fix this myself (the wood panel only)? The leather seems unfixable unless I replace the entire door. Any off the cuff guesses as to how much it would cost to take to the dealer to fix? Any better suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	350134  

2009 535i space gray/black dakota - bamboo anthracite - premium package - navigation - heated front seats - 6/30/2012 purchased CPO, free maintenance until 2015 or 100k miles

Last edited by Ggramirez; 11-19-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Razor535

One more pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	350135  

2009 535i space gray/black dakota - bamboo anthracite - premium package - navigation - heated front seats - 6/30/2012 purchased CPO, free maintenance until 2015 or 100k miles
Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 550i
Guy buys a BMW but can't muster an extra $35 to get a proper tint from a reputable shop.
Do you live in an apartment complex too?

seriously WTF is it with people who buy these cars but cut corners on cost? They don't want to put premium fuel in the car. Look for discount this and that...
But hey, you got a free tint at the end of the day so I guess that's the ultimate cost saver!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay View Post
Guy buys a BMW but can't muster an extra $35 to get a proper tint from a reputable shop.

seriously WTF is it with people who buy these cars but cut corners on cost? They don't want to put premium fuel in the car. Look for discount this and that...
But hey, you got a free tint at the end of the day so I guess that's the ultimate cost saver!
Someone needs a hug
Old 11-20-2012, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:

Vandalay, who pissed in your Cheerios? Dont be a such an a-hole 13 posts into your forum life....

To the OP, regardless of the "free tint" job I would be talking to the manager of the shop to have them cover the expense of a new door panel... that was a serious bootleg job. When they realized they couldnt remove the panel they should have called you to say so... Prior to having my car tinted I looked around for a BMW "specialty shop" for tinting and actually found one by using this forum. They did a great job and knew my car inside and out. For you, hindsight...

Mods
MTEC V3.0 AE's, Black and white roundels, Clear LED Side-markers, New Conti ExtremeContact DWS's, Charcoal Filter Delete, 35% Tint, 20%rear.

http://s705.photobucket.com/albums/w...%20BMW%20545i/

GARY BETTMAN IS A TOOL!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:53 AM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
What's wrong with this?
I had my first Bimmer living in an apartment.
Now I have two and live in a 5 bedroom house!!

On the account of what else could go wrong. If you have tint above the AS1 line on the front windshield it can cause the mirrors to dim and remain so all the time. There are threads about it happening to many. It happened to my X, and I didn't do it to the five so I'm not positive it will happen. Just something to look out for.
Good luck.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550I
I did mine all around tint + rear light markers for 80$
the solution you are talking about should not damage the leather, as far as I know it goes away after some time, because they use water and soap.
They should not have touched the door wood trim at the 1st place, otherwise try to clip it back in or glue it or make them pay for it.

Last edited by GOR777; 11-20-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to rok8man
Mein Auto: BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
What's wrong with this?
I had my first Bimmer living in an apartment.
Now I have two and live in a 5 bedroom house!!
I have one and in my apt complex I see people also have a slew of 3 series, 1 M3, few X5's,one X6. I park next to a 550i all the time. Nothing wrong with living in an apt and owning a BMW.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Razor535

Good to see there is such a supportive BMW forum community. Seriously, what good does your post do? Thanks for the invaluable feedback.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: 09 528i
That looks like someone tried to pry the trim off with a screwdriver and damaged the leather as well. Is there a chance that you didn't notice it before you bought the car? I can't see any logicial reason a tint shop would try to do this. I think the only repair that you aren't going to notice is if the door panel gets replaced. Easy enough job but I don't have a clue how much one would cost.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 AM
George

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 4.4i x5 sprts pg
That totally blows!!! I agree with Jaycal3 i would make them make good on it!!!

Let us know how this turns out!!

2002 4.4i BMW X5 - 166K Topaz Blue Ext/ Tan/Beige Leather Int

1994 Nissan Pathfinder SE 132K Black Ext / Grey Leather Int
Old 11-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Its how I roll

Mein Auto: 1985 M635csi, 2008 535xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggramirez View Post
So I bought a 2009 cpo 535 and may I say I couldn't be happier with the sweetest ride ever. I wanted to polish it up a bit with tinting the windows. I shopped around for the best price and lifetime warranty. Going rate in my area was $220, but I found a place for $185 and same lifetime warranty. After the job was done I found that their solution dripped and basically bleached the leather on each of the doors. Needless to say I was furious, but they managed to clean it off. It looked fine upon inspection, but I took it home and found that there was damage to the rear left door. See pics. They have agreed to refund the entire price, but I'm still left with a damaged door. Any tips on how I can fix this myself (the wood panel only)? The leather seems unfixable unless I replace the entire door. Any off the cuff guesses as to how much it would cost to take to the dealer to fix? Any better suggestions?
The first thing you need to know is that very few E60's (or BMW's in general) have leather covered door panels. They are almost always vinyl. A good interior trim shop should be able to repair it like new. The door trim panel covering is available from BMW for about $700.00 for vinyl or about $800.00 if it turns out to be leather. There is some skill involved in this replacement procedure, so you will still probably need a trim shop.

That said, if it were I, my opinion would be have it repaired. Just don't go to the guy with the cheapest price this time!