Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-23-2012, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Transmission light came on, wouldn't go in high gear, then was fine...

My brother was driving the X3 (2007, 150,000 kilometers) and the transmission light came on. It started downshifting really hard then wouldn't shift into high gear on the highway. He pulled over to see if he could see anything wrong, popped the hood, etc. Got back in and put it back in drive and it wouldn't move forward. It would go in reverse, but wouldn't drive forward. It just revved up like it was in neutral.

He turned it off and called me asking for some advice (I had nothing !). He then tried starting it again, tranny light turned off, went into drive fine and had no other problems. Got into high gear on the highway.

Any idea what may have caused this hiccup? I looked up resetting the learning algorithm so we'll do that. Anything else? Wondering if this was a symptom of a bigger problem.

Thanks for your responses!
Ads by Google
Old 11-23-2012, 05:28 PM

Is this the first time that this has happened? How old is the battery? Could it be a battery that might be dying?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:38 PM

Yes, it's the first time that had happened. Battery hasn't been replaced in at least 3 years, possibly longer. Is that the sign of a bad battery?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:46 PM

I have had intermittent rough running, an transmission light that came on once while my wife was driving, but for the life of me, I couldn't duplicate it. I wound up replacing the battery and it never happened again. 3 years does not seem too long for a battery though.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

It sure sounds to me like you lost your forward clutch pack. I would flat tow it to a dealer or Indy, for diagnosis.

This happened to my grandpa once in a 3/4 ton diesel Chevy towing a boat with a slide in camper...not a fun experience...I was riding shot gun and we ended up not going fishing that weekend .
Old 01-23-2013, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I'm having this very same issue. I have a 2007 X3. Last night my transmission light came on as I was exiting the expressway. I tried to get as far as I could to safely pull over, but when I stopped at a light it locked and wouldn't move forward. I let it rest for a moment (w/out turning it off) and I got it to move forward to move to the side.

I had it towed to my mechanic--my warranty ran out in November -- and he drove it twice today and cannot replicate the problem. He ran the diagnostics and it says the computer lost communication (whatever that means). He's going to keep it and drive it again tomorrow, but now I'm afraid to drive it!

A couple of weeks ago I had to replace my water pump and I'm just afraid I'm going to start having issues. I may be in the market for something newer that is more reliable and less expensive! I bought it CPO and it has been great until now.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
P.S I only have 78,000 miles on the car. I would think I shouldn't be having major problems at this point. Very disappointed.