Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 VW Touareg TDI
Most Compatable phone for 2012 X5 / Coding

I am considering an 2012 X5 Diesel. I was wondering what the members thoughts are on iDrive and what is the most compatable phone - I work for a carrier so I have access to many phones - what is your experience on which phones work best, the phones I have are now are:

Iphone 5
Galaxy SIII
HTC One X+

Any input of some of the neat things you can do with the phones and office functionality? Does SIRI work?

Finally - can someone point me to a good coding resource - ie what is possible with coding and how does it affect warranty?

Thanks so much.

Trying to decide to keep my 2011 Touareg, or go to a X5d or Audi Q5. THe deals are so good on the X5d it is hard to pass up! OK - thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 11-27-2012, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
Wife has a iPhone 5 which fully integrates itself with the iDrive (phone book, calls lists, etc + audio controls).

My SIII gives me all the phone features but not the audio controls.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:59 AM

Thanks, sorry for my ignorance - but what do you mean audio controls?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
Using the iPhone 5 you can all Audio media can be seen on the screen and song selection can be made using the idrive interface... With the SIII, I have to do the selection or song changes via the phone rather than the iDrive
Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck_x5 View Post
Using the iPhone 5 you can all Audio media can be seen on the screen and song selection can be made using the idrive interface... With the SIII, I have to do the selection or song changes via the phone rather than the iDrive
that's great to hear. I do not have any music on my galaxy s3 so that doesn't matter.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:30 AM
Lifetime Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 2012 535 xi GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck_x5 View Post
I don't think this is accurate. Much depends on whether you use Bluetooth to connect to the Audio or if you connect via USB. Both phones will allow full audio controls via USB including Album art, searching, etc. When you connect via BT, you can only advance the track based on whatever list, artist, etc that you selected on the phone itself.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 PM

Any comments on the coding? Thanks!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:23 AM

So in reading this it is better (read more functionality) when you connect via USB rather than BT? Is that correct? I also am assuming that the iPhone wors better than the Android phones?