Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2014 335i
Learn how to work on BMWs

Sorry if this has been posted before. Any suggestions on where you can learn how to work on BMW engines and drivetrains? My mechanical knowledge is limited to older engines (ie. 350 sb) and I've heard BMWs can be tricky and a little complicated to work on. I'd like to find an older E46 M3 or something similar that could be a project car but I want to do all the work myself.

Is there somewhere to learn more about the complexities of these engines, or do you just book it and learn by doing?
2012 F30 335i Sedan - BSM, Sport Line, PP,Tech,HK,CW,DA2
2010 E90 M3 - JBM PP,TP,ES,CW,Beast

BMWCCA #471315
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2012, 01:43 PM
BMW master tech

Mein Auto: e30 318
I learn from BMW NA technician training and BMW workshop.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: '98 328is
You buy a Bentley manual for the mechanic's how to of working on the car. It has torque specs and walk throughs for every project. Then you have BMW forums and helpful people who have done DIYs for you. I've learned by having a friend who was knowledgeable, a car that I'm willing to tinker on and lots of internet research.

Youtube can be very helpful, pelican parts has a good set of DIY write ups that mostly focus on e36, but I think a fair amount translates.
-durty