Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Car Magazine Reviews

Car Magazine Reviews
I have to tell you folks that I'm always skeptical with most reviews I read. I'm especially skeptical of the ones in magazines that receive huge revenues from the car companies in the form of advertising.

So a plausible scenario Is the following: a writer for Road and Track or one of the other car magazines is invited to a cocktail party for the introduction of a new model car. He's wined and dined by car manufacturer's executives. Maybe there are some females there who flirt with the writer and it's a fun day for the writer. He gets to test drive the new model, eat some high quality food and hang out with some powerful people and beautiful women. In the meanwhile the advertising department at R&T has already collected money from the car manufacturer for advertising- lots of money.

Do you think it's possible that the writer may be influenced by the goings on that day? Do you think that it's possible that the advertising department who's going to place an ad in the very same magazine or electronic version of the magazine that the writer's review will appear may have some influence over the writer? Do you think that the writer would like to be invited back to an event in the future and is concerned that if he's too critical he won't be?

I'm involved in marketing, and also in politics. The unethical ways people conduct themselves AT TIMES is very disappointing.

I absolutely don't think my scenerio is the norm, but I KNOW it can happen.

I mostly rely on Consumer Reports for car reviews and secondly on people on these forums. You people are great! I love all the back and forth and objective and subjective commentary based on your love of cars and research.

I think the geeky, liberal, pink panty wearing guys who used to get their lunch stolen every day in high school, losers at Consumer Reports who couldn't get laid with a wad of 100 dollar bills at a whorehouse, are much more reliable than all the other car magazines combined. And the liberal women who work at CR who wear comfortable shoes and aren't even attractive enough for those same guys are equally reliable. They don't accept any advertising and that's all you mostly need to know about them. Oh, and they have a state of the art testing facility and buy all the cars they test secretly.

LOL, I truly look forward to your replies.

And if you're offended by this you don't have a sense of humor even though "you know you do".

. . .
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2012, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d M-Sport
Subscribed.

2008 535xi: now in lease heaven
Old 12-02-2012, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The notion that automotive journalists would allow themselves to be seduced by beautiful women, fancy junkets, all expense paid accomodations, premium booze and gourmet food at automobile manufacture's media gatherings is shocking, shocking I say.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Yes, and most other forums complains how BMW bought the press until F10 where I suspect Lexus up the ante. Once BMW realized their mistake, MT quickly amend relations with 2nd place out of shoot out. I am sure 2nd place is there to remind BMW of their mistake.

I don't ever recall seeing a CR recommend on BMW. Except recently, someone posted X3 28i actually got highest rating. We should enjoy it while it last because reliability is very important on CR chart.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
I wouldn't bet on CR so much. They thought the Pinto was a great car. Also, their reviews on electronics are almost always outdated. Not really their fault as technology changes at an exponential rate where there publications are set to a linear time line.

As far as your scenario. I think it is more the norm than the exception. I remember a business ethics teacher trying to tell a class that many of the payola and "Gifting' was a thing of the past due to Government safeguards.

I had gone back to college so had already been in business for some ten years. I informed him that he spent too many days in Academia. He quickly rebutted. I asked him why Doctors couldn't have their seminars in Toledo where there are great facilities instead of Hawaii.

I used to throw lavish parties with all the amnesties you mentioned and then some for my client base once a year before contract negotiations came up for the business I was in. My competitors did the same and we each tried to one up the other. Ummmm hey teacher we were bribing them to do business with us.

I have worked in radio some 25 years and this still continues with exactly what you stated as we were told not to tarnish the name of some clients that walked the line on ethics.

After buying the GJC 2005 that had great write ups and then the 2007 AT X3 that both were POS imo and later down the road many car publications back peddled on their reviews I will never trust any car or website that takes any advertising where the editors are not John (or Joan) Q public. Public forums are the only way to judge a car imo nowadays and in some cases even they can be sneaky and have sneaker-bots writing positive stuff for them.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 12-02-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
I wouldn't bet on CR so much. They thought the Pinto was a great car.
To be fair, CR does not do safety tests. The insurance institute is probably a better place to look that up. It would ask a bit too much for them to see the infamous safety problem. Unless of course, there are other problems for Pinto I am not aware off. I never known anyone whom owned a Ford Pinto.

I completely agree on CR technology review. It feels like they hate newer technology.