Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 AM
pigrad pigrad is offline
Ray
Location: Lincolnshire
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: bmw 320d
clutch

Hi all, I am having a problem engaging first gear. on my e90 320d 2006. It takes a bit of effort to get it in, but if i put it into second and push it into first it goes straight it. any ideas what the cause would be or anyone had similar problems.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 AM
jburke4689 jburke4689 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ellicott City, MD
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 622
Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Sounds like a worn synchronizer on first gear in the transmission. How many miles are on the 320?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 AM
pigrad pigrad is offline
Ray
Location: Lincolnshire
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: bmw 320d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburke4689 View Post
Sounds like a worn synchronizer on first gear in the transmission. How many miles are on the 320?
73000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-06-2012, 12:23 PM
jburke4689 jburke4689 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ellicott City, MD
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 622
Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Is it all of the time or just occasionally? Next time it happens don't pull it into second. Try releasing the clutch pedal and pushing it in again then try going into first again. It if goes in smoothly then it is probably a worn synchro and you will just want to live with it. It would require a transmission rebuild to fix and it isn't really much more than an annoyance.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 PM
pigrad pigrad is offline
Ray
Location: Lincolnshire
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: bmw 320d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburke4689 View Post
Is it all of the time or just occasionally? Next time it happens don't pull it into second. Try releasing the clutch pedal and pushing it in again then try going into first again. It if goes in smoothly then it is probably a worn synchro and you will just want to live with it. It would require a transmission rebuild to fix and it isn't really much more than an annoyance.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Tom K. Tom K. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,612
Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
You might also try changing the transmission fluid. I found that going to RedLine fluid on my E46 at around 70,000 miles greatly improved the shifting and eliminated the "where is 1st" problem when the car was started in near freezing temps.

May not completely solve the problem - but it's cheaper than a new tranny.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:54 AM
DSXMachina's Avatar
DSXMachina DSXMachina is offline
Non compos Mentos
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,653
Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburke4689 View Post
Is it all of the time or just occasionally? Next time it happens don't pull it into second. Try releasing the clutch pedal and pushing it in again then try going into first again. It if goes in smoothly then it is probably a worn synchro and you will just want to live with it. It would require a transmission rebuild to fix and it isn't really much more than an annoyance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
You might also try changing the transmission fluid. I found that going to RedLine fluid on my E46 at around 70,000 miles greatly improved the shifting and eliminated the "where is 1st" problem when the car was started in near freezing temps.

May not completely solve the problem - but it's cheaper than a new tranny.

Tom


Three last things. Is it worse first thing in the morning, and seems to improve after your engine/tranny warm up?
If you are stopped and try to put it into first is it any different than downshifting into first while slowing down?
Do you ever feel a vibration or hear a noise when snicking into first gear?
Oh, a real last thing...The next time it is difficult to get into first, put it back into neutral. Push the clutch pedal down rapidly three times and hold it. Does it now go into first gear 'normally'?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Squidget Squidget is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 459
Mein Auto: 2011 335i E90 (MT,Sport)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post


Three last things. Is it worse first thing in the morning, and seems to improve after your engine/tranny warm up?
If you are stopped and try to put it into first is it any different than downshifting into first while slowing down?
Do you ever feel a vibration or hear a noise when snicking into first gear?
Oh, a real last thing...The next time it is difficult to get into first, put it back into neutral. Push the clutch pedal down rapidly three times and hold it. Does it now go into first gear 'normally'?
Are you thinking bad master cylinder and insufficient hydraulic pressure?
__________________
BMW CCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-11-2012, 01:11 PM
pigrad pigrad is offline
Ray
Location: Lincolnshire
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: bmw 320d
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX Machina View Post
:thumbs up:

Three last things. Is it worse first thing in the morning, and seems to improve after your engine/tranny warm up?
If you are stopped and try to put it into first is it any different than downshifting into first while slowing down?
Do you ever feel a vibration or hear a noise when snicking into first gear?
Oh, a real last thing...The next time it is difficult to get into first, put it back into neutral. Push the clutch pedal down rapidly three times and hold it. Does it now go into first gear 'normally'?
1) it goes in easier when its warm
2) if your moving slowly it goes into first easy
3) there is no vibration, but you hear a noise like a knuckle crack.
I tried pushing the clutch down three times, there is no difference. pigrad
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-13-2012, 10:41 AM
usaret usaret is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: All Over
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigrad View Post
Hi all, I am having a problem engaging first gear. on my e90 320d 2006. It takes a bit of effort to get it in, but if i put it into second and push it into first it goes straight it. any ideas what the cause would be or anyone had similar problems.
I switched from BMW MTF-LT3 to Redline MTL about 80,000 miles ago and mine has exhibited "balky" cold shifting into 1st ever since. But Redline MTL is thicker so it was expected and I'm just gentle with it until it gets warmed up. For me a 5-6 shift seems to line everything up so it will go smoothly into 1st when cold. So to me is sounds like you need an oil change. If it were hydraulic I would think you would have engagement problems in every gear.

I went with the thicker MTL because I live in the SE USA where summer temps are brutal and I wanted a thicker oil in my tranny. With the OE oil I used to get very pronounced gear rattle at idle in neutral with the clutch out. With the MTL it's almost imperceptible even on the hottest days. My tranny oil changes show just a couple of gold specs of synchro material and virtually no steel so I'm very pleased with the results of the Redline MTL.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 AM
ctuna ctuna is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,385
Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
The recommended fluid is redline D6 for manuals

The recommended redline is D6 this is closer in viscosity to the bmw spec and provides
better start up lubrication than a heavy oil. At least that is what I have read and its
what redline says to use in there app. Some were using D4 which is more viscous I believe.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-13-2012, 02:51 PM
usaret usaret is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: All Over
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
The recommended redline is D6 this is closer in viscosity to the bmw spec and provides
better start up lubrication than a heavy oil. At least that is what I have read and its
what redline says to use in there app. Some were using D4 which is more viscous I believe.
You are exactly right.... D6 is what's recommended but only for ease of shifting at low temperatures. I talked to Redline about this very thing but went with MTL 82,000 miles ago. I've changed it twice since then and I've had zero wear issues. The ZF GS6-37 transmission is splash lubricated so the thicker oil will have no negative effect on "start-up" lubrication.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZF GS6-37.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	353127  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms