Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-07-2012, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i Msport
New to Forum - Fuel Injector recall??

hi all, new to the forum today

i have a 2008 335i purchased from a dealer in Chicago in 2010. it had the California buy back/lemon on the title for the Fuel Pump Recall.

Car has been excellent, recently noticed some sputtering issues on a cold start and brought it in to the same dealer today assuming it was related to that fuel pump recall that was performed which carries a 100k warranty. my standard warranty expired, and i have 67k on it now.

Dealer just notified me and told me i had 1 bad injector, and that i should replace all 6 at a cost of 1800 - OUCH!

Can anyone offer any advice on this or any backup info to help support my plea to have this covered under that recall warranty??

my vin: WBAVB73538VH26241.
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
your injectors not going to fix the issue.

This is the month to bring all this to light so it seems.

I too had the same issue. Hesitation rough idle and cold starts followed by misfires and eventually Service Engine Soon light. All this because my intake valves where fouled up something bad. Before you ok the replacement ask them if they offer a service to clean the intake valves. at 67,000 miles your well overdue a clean.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leekay07 View Post
your injectors not going to fix the issue.

This is the month to bring all this to light so it seems.

I too had the same issue. Hesitation rough idle and cold starts followed by misfires and eventually Service Engine Soon light. All this because my intake valves where fouled up something bad. Before you ok the replacement ask them if they offer a service to clean the intake valves. at 67,000 miles your well overdue a clean.
Well Leekay, we're jumping the gun a little to say it's carbon fouling when the problem was identified as a bad injector. No doubt you may be right, but calling the dealer wrong, without evidence, isn't the right way to go.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Well Leekay, we're jumping the gun a little to say it's carbon fouling when the problem was identified as a bad injector. No doubt you may be right, but calling the dealer wrong, without evidence, isn't the right way to go.
OP

Does it only happen on days when temps are below 37.

The dealers have a terrible way of diagnosing this issue and I have the bills to prove it and not from just one shop.

Here is how I showed it to the dealer besides the SES light.

Once you have your injector replaced find a stretch of road with 55-65 limit and if your in a Auto the best way to make it show its ugly head is to get to 25-30mph and then put the selector in to manual override and put the car in 5th gear. Now gas it as much as you can without hitting the last 1/3 of the travel (forces the car to wide open throttle in the current gear). Beyond this point tells the car to change down to the lowest possible gear. Keep it pegged till you feel its unsafe. You should experience some stutter / hesitation at this point.

Take the car back and ask them to service the intake valves. If you don't tell them they will run diagnostics and end up costing you a hell of a lot more.

If you do have a bad injector this would not cause the misfire. It just means it leaks and there is no way on earth a leaking injector causes your car to misfire when its cold.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
First, no need to replace all 6 injectors. Was the injector recall done on this car or not? If not you might want to see if you can get a goodwill repair compromise. If it was, then try running some Techron thru the system with some good highway miles to burn up a tank of gas.
Second, $1800 for 6 injectors is what I fantasize making in my next life. You need to get an indy to do it using BMW parts for significantly less money.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
First, no need to replace all 6 injectors. Was the injector recall done on this car or not? If not you might want to see if you can get a goodwill repair compromise. If it was, then try running some Techron thru the system with some good highway miles to burn up a tank of gas.
Second, $1800 for 6 injectors is what I fantasize making in my next life. You need to get an indy to do it using BMW parts for significantly less money.

thank you - the fuel pump recall was done before i got the car but i dont think any injectors were replaced, i'm also trying to figure out if there is a true injector recall out there that i can take advantage of. thanks for the advice on the techron as well.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awj001 View Post
thank you - the fuel pump recall was done before i got the car but i dont think any injectors were replaced, i'm also trying to figure out if there is a true injector recall out there that i can take advantage of. thanks for the advice on the techron as well.
Mine is a 08 and mine was not covered in the recall. The injectors mainly covered the 07 model.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:02 AM

I had 3 injectors replaced for 450. Didn't help the car one bit.