Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
Have some question on the M6 conversion project?

I've checked several thread around here but I think it's better for me to create my own since all other are outdated.

Here's a few issue:

The whole Duraflex kits, from Extreme Dimension, Bought from Driven By Style website (so I don't know who really own it), only the side skirt fit decently.

The rear bumper barely, but the shop have to take out my reinforcement something. Sound dangerous.

The front bumper way off the OEM. Lower, doesn't fit, the gap between the bumper and the front reinforcement is about a pillow, 5 inches or something. Totally, there is no way to fit the front bumper to the car.

Here are the pics:

OEM VS DuraFlex (Side by Side pic)

I really regret to buy from Duraflex/ Extreme Dimension/ Driven By Style/ Duraflex Body Kits what so ever they call it.

The cost of a bumper is ~$500 + paint and installation (~400-500) = $900. Lots of work required do to drill, cut, and the fiberglass material doesn't look that good. The bumper come uncutted, not as the picture. The company seem fraud, they ask me to file a claim to supplier so they will forward my claim to supplier, they sell it as a agent. And charge 25% for restocking fee.
The shop I do have the used OEM genuine one, painted and installed for $1,000. F$%*!!!

Have anyone has this issue before?

What should I do with my rear? Without reinforcement? Do I have to purchase the one for M6 and put on my car or is it because of this fake Duraflex rear bumper, if I got the real one then I can use the rear reinforcement.? Any help?

Do I have to purchase this to put on my rear for safety?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E63-64-M...9033cf&vxp=mtr

Last edited by reytran; 12-07-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw e63
Hi rey. i have complete M6 look OEM and it was no problem with the front bumper. Sorry to ear your problem with the duraflex. A friend bought a kit for a supra tt and it doenst fit on the car....Did you find some eisenmann race exhaust?....im looking for them but the prices are high....
Old 12-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Yeah I did, a guy local has one Race Oval Tips M6 for $2,000. I bought it. Albert, how's ur rear, do you have to take out the reinforcement? I'm not sure is it because of the Duraflex or to install the rear have to take out the 650i reinforcement and put on the M6 one.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:17 AM

Mein Auto: bmw e63
Quote:
Originally Posted by reytran View Post
Yeah I did, a guy local has one Race Oval Tips M6 for $2,000. I bought it. Albert, how's ur rear, do you have to take out the reinforcement? I'm not sure is it because of the Duraflex or to install the rear have to take out the 650i reinforcement and put on the M6 one.
Congrats for the eisenmann....let me show how it sounds when you install it....I cant tell you about the rear.bumper.because i did not the body work...sorry. it seems you are preparing a pretty good 6!!!!!! Good luck!!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
I think you need to find a new body shop. It normally requires a skilled shop to make aftermarket bumpers fit. The fact that they would even consider installing the skin without a carrier in place would make me run for the hills to find a new place. There might be fitment issues but still, suggesting the carrier needs to be removed is crazy.

What ever you do DO NOT drive the car without your rear reinforcement bar installed. That bar is designed to take the hit when you get rear-ended, without it your car would probably be a write-off even in a small accident. And I would bet insurance would not cover the repair if they knew you removed the bar.

The M6 bar in your eBay link is a CF version of the 650i bar, it will not help fitment since it is the exact same shape as the aluminum 650i bar.

It's hard to tell from the pics but I do not see any major problem with the front bumper. In the pic there is a 5" gap to the front carrier but the bumper is 5" out from the final resting spot. The top lip on the bumper skin (which was not pre-drilled so the shop needs to dill the 7 holes) goes where those 7 holes are by the hood latch receptacle. The bumper skin does not attach to the carrier in any event. I would compare the Duraflex vs the OEM bumper and check how close the attachment points (holes) are between the two.

There are other holes that need to be drilled based on the pics.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 12-07-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

http://ltmotorwerks.com/

They are quite reputable in the 3 & 5 series modification. But he told me this was his first time dealing with a 6. He explained the rear won't fit if the rear reinforcement is on.

BMW CCA ID: 473647
Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Thanks Yorgi. The owner tried to fit it in front of me but the Duraflex is thicker than the OEM about 3-4mm. And shorter than the OEmM at least an inch. I took a horrizontal picture to show the height different.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:29 PM

If the bumper is 1" short in height that is a huge problem. Sorry to hear that, because I think you will need to return it if it's fitting that bad.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

I emailed the Driven By Style company, they explain I need to file a claim on a website, but I order by phone, so there is no history record on the web. They explained they are only distributor for the Extreme Dimension company. What a fraud business. Still waiting for the customer service to reply.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Frustrated. The shop delay till monday. Saying some paint problem. Why can they give a precise estimate date for completion.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Here is what the customer service replies on my return request:
"Rey,

We do apologize for the inconvenience however, all items are shipped directly from distributor/manufacturer so what we'll need from you to get this claim started is a picture of the fitment issue with the parts you received along with a picture of the part # that's on the product label. Please send pictures of the kit dry-fitted to show that it doesn't fit. We will forward over the pictures along with your issue to distributor Megan Racing for their review. Upon their review, if your claim was approved, they will issue RMA # and return label/address for your return. Please do not send anything back until you receive that info. Once again we do apologize for the inconvenience. Let us know if you have any other questions.

DBS
Claims Dept.

Driven By Style LLC
http://www.drivenbystyle.com"

They probably trying to force me to give up on this.

What's the hell is this process. Bought from a Company called Driven By Style. The box came from a company called Extreme Dimension. The parts are labeled as Duraflex. Lastly, the Distributor is Megan Racing. So who to blame. What a trash business!

Last edited by reytran; 12-10-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:24 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Quote:
They probably tryinf to force me to give up on this.
Dam Skippy...
Make them pay and/or then tell them how your going to trash there name all over our web site...

It sh@t like this that make my blood boil... Don't give up...
I'm surprised there wasn't a plain old return policy....

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

It's finally done but not a perfect job. There is no way the rear reinforcement can fit in. I'll just wait until have more cash then I'll find an OEM one. However the sound is so crazy. It's drone crazily. My combination is aFe intake + magnaflow x-pipe + M6 Eisenmann Race Oval. I think I'm gonna put the resonators back.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 PM

It looks great. You should post a video clip on YouTube so we can hear it.

Several people have installed an OEM M6 bumper skin on their 650 using the standard aluminum 650i reinforcement bar. So I don't think buying a CF OEM M6 bar will help you. The guys had to drill some holes in the 650i reinforcement bar to line up a lower bracket in the M6 skin (due to the slightly different location of the lights on the bumper) but otherwise there were no fitment issues.

I think your problem is with the Duraflex bumper, not the carrier bar. Do you know what/where the clearance issue was?

Old 12-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

They didn't tell me. All the answer I get was not fit. They said they put in lots of effort to make it happens. However, I got the car back at 7p.m. I stopped by Chevron and found out this.

Thanks Yorgi, I'll tell them what you said tomorrow to see if they can help anything. If not I'll just find a local reputable shop (I don't think it's gonna cost a lot for put the rear reinforcement back).

Personally I like this shop, except for the bad experienced with Duraflex. They are friendly, good customer service, but I think they are more professional on 3 series. They just recently built a M3 Wagon. I saw a B7 and couple of F10.

P.S: I'll post sound clip tomorrow. It's 10p.m now I don't want my neighbor to call police haha. I had to shift to high gear with max ~2,000rpm for 40 miles home due to the drone and extreme sound. The in Cabin sound was quite terrible, I haven't hear that sound since my old Accord Coupe gone.

Last edited by reytran; 12-10-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i LCI
Really? You find a drone with an eisenmann? Give it a week or so bud... The exhaust is never as loud as the 1st time you drive it!!!

I have all resonators removed, x pipe and eisenmann race. I dont feel I hear it unless im in sport mode with high rpm's.

As I said, give it time and it will grow on you. Plus, they don't develop their true "race" sound until about 5000km

2008 BMW 650i Convertible- LCI.
- ACS style rear spoiler
-Eisenmann Race Exhaust, resonators removed, Magnaflow X pipe.
- LED Angel eyes, plate light and interior package
- Tinted Windows- Charcoal 20%
- Stock 19" summer wheels & 18" M6 Winter wheels
Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

I stopped by the shop today and they show me the instruction comes with the kits. In the instruction (it's a general instruction for all their kits), it said some minor adjustment, if still not fit, removed reinforcement is required for fitment. The owner says it's fine for the rear but not the front, so he didn't do it. I got the rear + side install + rear muffler + 2 back up tail light (he said required for M6 bumper) on for $1,300. I talked to people and they say it's a good deal. What do you think?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I stopped by the shop today and they show me the instruction comes with the kits. In the instruction (it's a general instruction for all their kits), it said some minor adjustment, if still not fit, removed reinforcement is required for fitment. The owner says it's fine for the rear but not the front, so he didn't do it. I got the rear + side install + rear muffler + 2 back up tail light (he said required for M6 bumper) on for $1,300. I talked to people and they say it's a good deal. What do you think?
That is a great deal for sure.

But if you get rear ended, even at 10 mph in a parking lot by some grandma, you will not be thinking it was a great deal. Here is a 3 series with the rear bumper skin removed. Try to imagine getting hit with the reinforcement bar removed. The 6er has shock absorbers in the mounts for the reinforcement bar which will obviously do nothing without the bar installed.

Last edited by Yorgi; 12-11-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:13 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

I think Duraflex is really a piece of s%^t!

http://www.duraflex*************/bod...uide-i-21.html

They stated "Installation at your own risk" and "some product for show and off road" only. I think I'll need sometimes to save up for the new OEM Genuine set of bumpers.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Screw Duraflex..

The M6 front and rear bumpers are very close to the top of my to do list on mods and PRIOR DESIGN is looking better... plus after reading all this I think they are more committed to the BMW product...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-15_thumb.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	353027   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-19_thumb.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	353028  

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Im not sure about Prior Design. I live near there location in LA, I suggest u should ask if they have installation fercilities. If not just screw it.

My conclusion now is:
M6 conversion OEM genuine kits

Plus:
Hamann (wing for e64)
Vorsteiner (fron splitter and rear diffuser)

Hamann diffuser wont fit my oval tips so i think i'll go with vorsteiner. The hamann wing looks great, but I prefer get it matte black or wrap carbon than exterior color match. Because it will mess the combination of CF from Vorsteiner.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
I did conversion on my dads 650 and we left the reinforcement on in the rear. Just had to grind a little piece off with the grinder and all was good.

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos
Old 12-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakaveliFaison View Post
I did conversion on my dads 650 and we left the reinforcement on in the rear. Just had to grind a little piece off with the grinder and all was good.
Did you use the Duraflex bumper or the OEM one?

@All:

I'm thinking about putting these wheels on. What do you all think?

Old 12-17-2012, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
All oem parts

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos
Old 12-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

Sound clip here:

I'll try to put on the re-bar later after new year, if nothing gonna change then I'll just forget about the Duraflex and order an used M6 bumper. For Peace of Mind. Everything is fine by now, but yeah, we never know when s**t gonna happen. I don't like driving with insecure feeling, especially those moron stop too close to my rear.