Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i
TONS of whits smoke

I recently went to a car wash and as soon as i pulled out tons of white smoke was comming from the muffler and the car was making a put put sound. I would not turn back on. When ever i would turn the key in the ignition the car would just make a ping sound. I took the car to a machanic and he just said i need a new engine. I am not satisfied with his diagnosis and think i should get a second opinion. Any suggestions? I am new to this site and thi sis my first bimmer. I dont want to be taken advantage of. I have a 2000
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2012, 02:42 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
This sounds suspiciously like a blown head gasket to me, although the timing seems a bit odd (after exiting a car wash). Still, it could be just coincidental... Do you have an aftermarket air intake, like a 'bottom-breather...?'

A blown head gasket doesn't necessarily mean that you need a new engine -- but you could. If it is the gasket, and enough coolant leaked into the cylinders to cause hydrolock, you're looking at major repairs. Or if water was somehow ingested into the engine (as a result of being in the car wash), you may have hydrolocked the engine that way... Further investigation is warranted.

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 12-13-2012, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i
i do have an after market air intake on my car.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:51 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman27 View Post
i do have an after market air intake on my car.
Hmm. Well, not being being able to see the setup for myself, I'd start by being suspicious of that... Aftermarket/cold-air-intakes (CAI's) can be much more susceptible to water ingestion than the OEM setup... Is the breather element low on the car; exposed; susceptible to standing/puddling water or water immersion; etc...? Was this an automated car wash, or one of those do-it-yourself-er's with a spray wand...?

There's at least a possibility that enough water got sprayed or sucked into the air intake to cause this problem. And because of it's incompressible nature, it takes surprisingly little liquid to hydrolock an engine -- even a larger-displacement V8 like you've got in your 540i... You don't have to fill the entire engine with water; maybe a cup or so in one or two cylinders... Once something like a connecting rod gets bent, the engine may run briefly (and poorly), but it's pretty-much done...

Sorry to be bringing doom and gloom to you for the holidays, but that's where my suspicions are at the moment... Granted, it's all pure speculation on my part, and I sincerely hope that I'm wrong. But either way, someone is probably going to have to take a closer look at your engine, I think; or provide some kind of evaluation of your aftermarket air intake setup at the very least...

Old 12-20-2012, 07:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
If a mechanic told me I needed a new engine, I'd get at least two more opinions. I think you just got water somewhere it should not be. I had water once get past a torn spark plug boot on my Porsche and I had similar symptoms. It's possible moisture in an electronic component could cause problems. Someone needs to read the codes as a starting point. I would be very surprised if a defunct engine would not cause the SES light to come on and you never mentioned that it did. I agree with Timfitz,hydro lock could be a possibility. Get several opinions from knowledgeable mechanics.
2013 BMW X3 35i Carbon Black M-Sport
Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
OP is apparently a 'real communicator'...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...571&highlight=

My guess is he ingested water into the intake, hydrolocked the engine.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:16 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
OP is apparently a 'real communicator'...
Indeed. I guess the engine really is toast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
... My guess is he ingested water into the intake, hydrolocked the engine.
Yeah, that's the odds-on favorite, I think.