Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 12-17-2012, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 650
Taking Delivery Today - F13

Greetings F12/F13 Owners-

I am going to take delivery of a new 650 today. What should I look for at delivery and what accessories come with the car so I can inventory that nothing was mis-placed or scavenged from the car?

Car has been on the lot for a couple of months and I don't want to forget anything or get jipped!

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

JamesA
Ads by Google
Old 12-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Make sure the car has floor mats... Outside if that I can't really think of anything.. The cradle for your phone comes separate..
Old 12-17-2012, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
There's a little red kit in the compartment beneath the trunk that holds the towing hardware. There's supposedly a first aid kit behind the middle of the rear seat, but I've never bothered to look. Of make sure the tires have the silver caps - heard of someone getting crappy green plastic pieces instead. You should also get the manual with a leather case and a few other booklets of info on various aspects of the car.

If they haven't already mentioned it, they'll probably try to sell you the extended warranty, int. and ext. protection plans, etc. just something to think about so you aren't blindsided when you're signing the paperwork.

I hope it's a pleasant experience, and enjoy the new car!

P.S. Pics or it didn't happen

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 AM

Thanks guys (Southern, you are like the wise bard of F13 knowledge!). I know on my previous 650 (2006), there is a funny fake looking key in the glove compartment for emergency or something. Does the F13 have a similar set-up? That is the kind of thing I would miss.....I don't know what I don't know...

Any add'l guidance is appreciated. I meet dealer today. I'll post pics once I get everything settled. Hoping it does not rain today and get the new car all messy on the first day!

JamesA
Old 12-17-2012, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 6 series convertible
Pretty much everything is mentioned here.
I went for the extended warranty, won't only one of these without it!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:36 AM

You get 2 identical keys with the car, each containing the valet key feature. The backup/safety is a feature that allows the car to recognize the fob even if the key's battery is dead. You hold the key up to the key symbol on the steering column, and it recognizes the security sequence even with a dead battery.

Here are some pics that might help explain what I'm going on about...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1355769237.390723.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	353545   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1355769268.174650.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	353546   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1355769369.372387.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	353547  

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
Old 12-17-2012, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Few things to consider. I believe the First Aid kit was removed but the green tag for it is still there on the rear center armrest. I haven't bothered to check either. Unless there is an AED and a tourniquet in there at the very least, those first aid kids are comical

Also, I believe green valve stem caps mean that the tires were filled with nitrogen. The silver ones are still crappy plastic lol, just in silver.

Check to make sure all the options listed on the sticker are present in the car. The only loose items I can think of are in the trunk under the panel as mentioned by Southern and the floor mats as mentioned by EmM

Congrats and welcome aboard!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

Last edited by Itinj6; 12-17-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 6 series convertible
Only 2 tools in the tow pack in the trunk?

Or am I missing some thing?
There is under trunk panel that has a tow loop and one Phillips screwdriver.
There are 4 spaces in the pack am I missing 2 tools?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 PM

I haven't looked at it in a while, but I think there are only 2 pieces in the case.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6kat View Post
Or am I missing some thing?
There is under trunk panel that has a tow loop and one Phillips screwdriver.
There are 4 spaces in the pack am I missing 2 tools?
Sounds about right lol. You're not missing anything

Old 12-19-2012, 01:59 PM

As usual, you guys were spot on with the advice.

I sent my CA an e-mail asking him to make sure he could show me the tool kit, first-aid, manuals, etc. and he had everything lined up on the seat for me when I arrived. I purchased the car from Irvine BMW here in So. Cal. CA was Renzo Montoya and he was a pleasure to deal with....I know he worked hard to get the deal done quickly and I would recommend him.

Car is 2012 Vermillion Red over white-nappa. Driver's Assistance Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Sound, LED lights, 20" rims, heated seats, ceramic controls, BMW Apps...I think that's it for the options. I was able to use the 2013 upgrades as leverage to work a deal on the 2012 which had been on the lot for several months.

Car will be my wife's car (unless it needs gas, service or washing, then it will be "my" car for the day LOL) and she does not know / care about more power in the 2013 version so it all worked out.

When I initially went to see the car it was only to see if the vermillion red was acceptable because I thought the white / black two-tone interior would be a deal-breaker, but my wife really liked it and the more I stared at it (over several days) the more I liked it. I got black floor mats (in addition to the white standard mats) for both wear and aesthetic reasons. The black floor mats really tone down the mostly white lower half of the interior. I'll post pictures as soon as I take some.

Thanks again for the help. It is only because of the interest and enthusiasm of the regulars on this forum that this board rocks. I look forward to contributing where I can and I will lurk here daily. You may only see 1 post per month, but I am soaking up everything that is discussed.

PS: Now I'll need to commit Southern's blog to memory to help wife figure out how to make all the whiz-bang gizmos in this car work properly.
PPS: Tool kit had 2 items (tow hook and screwdriver)...
Old 12-19-2012, 08:17 PM

Did you get a first aid kit?

Old 12-19-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesA View Post
Now I'll need to commit Southern's blog to memory to help wife figure out how to make all the whiz-bang gizmos in this car work properly.
Don't forget about my instructions for the doodads - those are nearly as important as the crazy, anal leather care instructions

Congrats! Can't wait to see some pics of the inside and out. What color trim did you go for? The brochure car - vermillion, ivory, and aluminum with B&O - is stunning. Sounds like you've got a close sibling

Old 01-02-2013, 06:36 PM

Apologies on the delay in completing this saga. The holidays had me on holiday from any normalcy as I was off for 2 weeks!

Yes, the car appears to be an F13 launch car type of configuration. It does not have B&O, but many other options. My plan was to order a 2013 in Vermillion over black with the same 20" rims so visually, the exterior of this car looks like what I would have ordered EXCEPT it does not have shadowline which I thought I wanted. Frankly, the chrome accents and black / cream interior look a bit more upscale than what I had envisioned.

My CA pulled out the center of the rear seat and showed me the first-aid kit buried in the armrest or whatever. It took him a while to put it back in, he was pushing that thing like a blocking sled!. The first-aid kit along with the trunk tool kit, 2 keys, window sticker and owner's manual were all presented to me at delivery. They threw in the black floor mats and IPOD cord for me. I also bought her the iPhone integration kit for her iP4.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics that my buddy took with a fancy camera...it was at dusk so pictures are a bit dark, but you will get the idea. I have never posted a photo on this forum so apologies if this becomes an, ahem, iterative process!

Thanks for all your guidance. I have been on this board since 2006. It has never been a more friendly and informative space than it is right now. If you own a 6-series, this is a great place to spend a few minutes a day to see what's up.

JamesA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0694.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	455.8 KB
ID:	355712   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0714.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	487.4 KB
ID:	355713  

Last edited by JamesA; 01-02-2013 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Typ-o
Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:
Apologies on the delay in completing this saga. The holidays had me on holiday from any normalcy as I was off for 2 weeks!

Yes, the car appears to be an F13 launch car type of configuration. It does not have B&O, but many other options. My plan was to order a 2013 in Vermillion over black with the same 20" rims so visually, the exterior of this car looks like what I would have ordered EXCEPT it does not have shadowline which I thought I wanted. Frankly, the chrome accents and black / cream interior look a bit more upscale than what I had envisioned.

My CA pulled out the center of the rear seat and showed me the first-aid kit buried in the armrest or whatever. It took him a while to put it back in, he was pushing that thing like a blocking sled!. The first-aid kit along with the trunk tool kit, 2 keys, window sticker and owner's manual were all presented to me at delivery. They threw in the black floor mats and IPOD cord for me. I also bought her the iPhone integration kit for her iP4.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics that my buddy took with a fancy camera...it was at dusk so pictures are a bit dark, but you will get the idea. I have never posted a photo on this forum so apologies if this becomes an, ahem, iterative process!

Thanks for all your guidance. I have been on this board since 2006. It has never been a more friendly and informative space than it is right now. If you own a 6-series, this is a great place to spend a few minutes a day to see what's up.

JamesA
Congrats on your new ride! Would you share with us the deal the manager gave you? Was it a long negotiating process?

Would you compare and contrast to your 2006 6-series.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I really like the brochure build of this car. It isn't the build I'd choose for myself, but I think it is one of the most visually pleasing combos. It looks very individual sans the $7000 Individual price tag
I agree that is looks pretty plush, but clearly a bit "older". The urban rims keep it a little younger, but I wanted to go a bit more "elegant" rather than sporty with this car. If the car was for a young male, it would be M-sport in Imola over black to ideally suit my taste.

Quote:
Is there a special BMW iPod cord that gave you, or was it just a white Apple cable? I can't get enough of those white cables - can never have too many of them. A million Apple devices yet these things are never around. It just got x10 worse having the lightening adapter for my phone and iPad. I digress, but I'm curious if there is a special BMW-iPod cable now that it all goes through the USB
It is not your typical IPOD cord from Best Buy. It is white, but more robust with a couple of inputs (it looks more like a dongle). I'll have the boss take a picture and post soon.

Quote:
I agree: this place is the best. It makes 6er ownership THAT much better. Other forums are too big, or too serious, or too whatever. Glad you joined us.
It's the "too whatever" that freaks me out the most

Quote:
Congrats on your new ride! Would you share with us the deal the manager gave you? Was it a long negotiating process?
It would be in poor taste (IMHO) to discuss specifics on a public forum, but I would be pressing for 20% off sticker on a 2012 that had been on the lot for 6 months especially since we are now in CY 2013. That would be my first offer and I would have local examples to back up the offer....I negotiated over the course of a day via e-mail / phone after test-driving the car a week or two prior to purchase with the same CA so it was not a cold call thing, but a relationship thing...

Quote:
Would you compare and contrast to your 2006 6-series
It's amazing how inferior the 2006 feels to the 2012. I had trouble even looking for a new car because the 2006 had been such a wonderful vehicle. The masculine styling really grew on me over the years and the standard creature comforts (NAV, BT, IPOD, etc) were cutting edge for 2006.

That car took me to 50 rock concerts and 50 sporting events over the years. I drove it into the ghetto and into Beverly Hills and it always felt comfortable wherever I went. It never broke down on me or left me stranded...not once in 6+ years and ~87K. It has never been towed. Awesome vehicle, but I can't have my wife driving around in a car that is bound to start showing it's age through mechanical problems. We can't afford the down time for that stuff.

The new 2012 car has that same tank like feel, but it does everything better. Brakes are simply awesome. Power is crazy....there is a wee bit of turbo lag, so it takes a split second for everything to spool-up, but when it does the car shoots forward like a rocket. The extra torque is very noticeable. I did not think the car would seem so much faster based on the specs. The 4 tuning modes are a nice touch and we find ourselves driving in comfort mode most of the time. Sport mode feels a lot like the 2006 in terms of road feel, but I am getting a bit more Cadillac as I age.

Once she (and BMW / Apple) figure out how to get her e-mail, the car will again be the cutting edge ultimate driving machine as the 2006 was back in the day. She is getting her texts (thanks Southern!) and enjoying driving her new toy. The new larger display is welcome, the HUD is very cool and the LED lights are insane (it looks like an alien is pulling into the garage when she gets home).

Everyone is impressed with the vehicle. The HUD, LED headlights and the self-parking feature seem to generate the most ooohs and aaahs from the guys. Once she get's her e-mail working, that, and the interior will impress the ladies most.....

I'll keep you posted on the journey, get a picture of the IPOD cable ASAP and lurk on Bimmerfest daily as I have been for years...

Cheers

JamesA
Old 01-02-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Frankly, the chrome accents and black / cream interior look a bit more upscale than what I had envisioned.
I really like the brochure build of this car. It isn't the build I'd choose for myself, but I think it is one of the most visually pleasing combos. It looks very individual sans the $7000 Individual price tag

Quote:
My CA pulled out the center of the rear seat and showed me the first-aid kit buried in the armrest or whatever. It took him a while to put it back in, he was pushing that thing like a blocking sled!.
I haven't opened mine because of fear over improper repacking of the first aid kit and ski bag. My OCD would not be okay with that lol.

Quote:
They threw in the black floor mats and IPOD cord for me. I also bought her the iPhone integration kit for her iP4.
Is there a special BMW iPod cord that gave you, or was it just a white Apple cable? I can't get enough of those white cables - can never have too many of them. A million Apple devices yet these things are never around. It just got x10 worse having the lightening adapter for my phone and iPad. I digress, but I'm curious if there is a special BMW-iPod cable now that it all goes through the USB.

Quote:
I agree: this place is the best. It makes 6er ownership THAT much better. Other forums are too big, or too serious, or too whatever. Glad you joined us.

P.S. I wish that "a few minutes a day" applied to me. I need a life

Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 PM

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about the e-mails for now since the issue is with the software, not us (as far as we've all been able to determine). It will be a cool trick once it works effortlessly, but, for now, I can't be bothered to mess with it for my daily trips. Also, showing off said trick loses its luster when you have to tell the audience, "this is how I access my emails through iDrive - just hold on as I get my phone and switch some stuff around in the settings menu... and yes, I have to do this every time I get in the car." Not very pithy if you ask me

Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 AM

Got it. Thanks!

I am not a technofile, but in reading a little about this issue and talking with wife who has also investigated, it appears to me that the problem is with the iOS6 and that a revision to this software is the most likely solution to this problem. Is that the consensus or is it a BMW software update that is the more likely remedy? She has an iPhone4 at the moment if that matters.

Also.....

She is using an iTouch as her Aux input on the car for music. She has demonstrated to me several times that the volume from this device is, say, 25% lower than either the FM radio, Sat radio or in-dash CD player as she cycles through them seeking guidance from me. I turned the volume up all the way on the iTouch itself, but it is still quieter than any other inputs? I asked her to make sure the settings in iTunes for volume were up when syncing the iTouch and she says they are OK?

Does anyone have guidance on how I may remedy this issue?

Thanks much.

JamesA

Last edited by JamesA; 01-04-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: type-o
Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
She is using an iTouch as her Aux input on the car for music. She has demonstrated to me several times that the volume from this device is, say, 25% lower than either the FM radio, Sat radio or in-dash CD player as she cycles through them seeking guidance from me. I turned the volume up all the way on the iTouch itself, but it is still quieter than any other inputs? I asked her to make sure the settings in iTunes for volume were up when syncing the iTouch and she says they are OK?
I just made a short video using a decibel meter (okay, it's a free app, but decibel meter sounds much more scientific ), my deactivated iPhone4 plugged into my car via USB, and "Sweet Home Alabama" (couldn't help myself ) to provide some precise data to figure out this problem.

All you have to do is download the free app (and "Sweet Home Alabama" if you haven't already ) and see if you get approximately the same decibel readings at the same parts of the songs.

Here are the numbers I got:

60 dB = car idling with the doors closed and music off

70 to 75 dB = normal listening volume (I know this is pretty variable, but tolerances must be made in this experiment of mine lol)

~ 95 dB = maxed out volume

For those of you who think this is dull and boring, I've posted a little something extra at the end of the video to add something worth watching after I waste a minute and 20 seconds with coarse video of a cheap app. Just skip ahead to 1:25 and you'll get to the good stuff

Last edited by southern6er22; 01-05-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the follow-up Southern. Your original advice is what finally allowed me to crack the code on this problem over the weekend.

First I had her try her iPhone as the aux and it played at a like volume to the other inputs, so that pointed to a bad iTouch (nothing with car / cable). Then I took the iTouch and put it in my car and got a similar lower volume problem (it sounded bad, too...it was low and bad!).

So we restored the iTouch in iTunes keeping history (I think that was the option selected...it was not the most invasive reset to default). That did not help as it still sounded bad in both cars. So then we did a restore to factory defaults (or something like that....it warned me I may lose a few apps in the process, but I went for it anyway) and magically the problem was solved thereafter.

Even though we had "touched" what I thought was every possible setting in both iTunes and the iTouch, it required a complete reset to factory defaults on the iTouch to solve this problem.

It's amazing what a scientific approach can do to solve problems if you are smart enough to proceed in a methodical manner! Thanks for pointing me down the logical road!

Since I spent so much time in the garage fooling around with the iTouch, I decided to bite the bullet and attempt to program the garage door opener in the car to operate my garage door (even with it's complication of a rolling code). I'm glad to say that the detailed directions on the homelink website worked fine and I accomplished this task in 10 minutes even though I had to go up and down the ladder a couple of times to get to the control unit.

All in all a productive weekend for the new car. Don't worry, I'll be back with a dumb question soon. Thanks for your assistance (again!)

JamesA

PS When someone checks out the decibels in their car to try to help a total stranger 3000 miles away with their car, they have earned a night of free drinks. Let me know when you are in SoCal to collect Southern...be it milk-shakes or scotch, it's on me....
Old 01-04-2013, 05:52 PM

As for the software, I'm not really sure who needs to get their act together. However, since BBs work correctly, that shifts the blame toward Apple. I suppose BMW may have to do something special to be compatible with iOS6, but I'm just speculating.

As for volume, I think your idea if making sure the "max volume" isn't turned down is a good one. However, it seems like all volume controls go away when plugged into the cable, so iDrive might override the iPod. I use a deactivated iPhone 4S as my primary audio source, and I find it to be plenty loud - I've never turned it all the way up, even when I'm playing rock music like a stupid youth Maybe restore the iPod software? Try another iPod and see if you have the same issue? I'm just guessing here, but I don't think the 25% volume drop is normal.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:45 PM

Haha. I love a good Oreo milk shake!

Glad you got the iPod issue solved. While we're on the topic of Apple devices and iDrive, does anyone else notice the track info regularly not matching the cover art and the song playing? It isn't always the case, but it's fairly frequent.