Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: Nissan Frontier
Bluetooth without iDrive?

Hey everyone,

I ordered my X1 a few weeks ago and I am anxiously awaiting arrival. I did not order iDrive on my X1. Is it possible to still pair my phone with my X1 and make calls / play audio?

I looked through the manual, but I can only find information detailing how to pair bluetooth with iDrive. I am hoping that I just haven't found the right documentation yet and bluetooth will still work without iDrive.

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 12-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Hit menu on the business radio. If there is a phone option navigate there to setup Bluetooth. If no phone option, then you don't have Bluetooth.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
On US models without iDrive, you can pair your phone and make/receive phone calls. However, you will not be able to stream audio through bluetooth. In order to play music you will need to use the Aux port and a 3.5mm cable to connect your phone with your car.

Another option that I am currently playing with is the Blackberry Music Gateway. It plugs into the aux port and a is powered by a micro usb cable and will enable your non-iDrive car to stream music via bluetooth. It works really well for me so far and can be tucked out of sight with very little effort.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: X1
This video shows up to pair up phone with radio using Bluetooth. I don't have iDrive either and has the "BMW Professional Radio", exactly like the one shown in this YouTube video. .

Once paired, all ringtone, notification (e.g. email, GPS guidance...etc) can be heard via the car speakers. If using the Y-Cable for the iphone, you can control the Music function via the steering wheel controls. However, you cannot play other audio (e.g. Youtube, online radio) once Y-cable is connected. You have to use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable to play those type of audio.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:14 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by miataken View Post
this video shows up to pair up phone with radio using bluetooth. I don't have idrive either and has the "bmw professional radio", exactly like the one shown in this youtube video. .

Once paired, all ringtone, notification (e.g. Email, gps guidance...etc) can be heard via the car speakers. If using the y-cable for the iphone, you can control the music function via the steering wheel controls. However, you cannot play other audio (e.g. Youtube, online radio) once y-cable is connected. You have to use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable to play those type of audio.
^_+1~
Old 12-22-2012, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 35i
Bluetooth calling is there, but it wont use the phone's address book if you voice dial. You can scroll and manually go through the phonebook to make calls with the steering wheel controls. As mentioned no BT streaming audio.

The only manual online is for the iDrive, the car will come with the proper non-iDrive manual.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP49 View Post
Bluetooth calling is there, but it wont use the phone's address book if you voice dial. You can scroll and manually go through the phonebook to make calls with the steering wheel controls. As mentioned no BT streaming audio.

The only manual online is for the iDrive, the car will come with the proper non-iDrive manual.
If it's the same Bluetooth as in my 328i you can program voice commands for selected numbers or you can verbally dial a specific number. It's all in the specific Bluetooth manual that comes with the vehicle.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: Nissan Frontier
Excellent, thanks for the info everyone. It is a big deal to be able to pair via Bluetooth and make calls, so this makes me feel much better.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 AM

I also went without the iDrive. Personally, I haven't seen any in-dash navigation/entertainment system that is even close to what I have on my Android. So my plan is to use Bluetooth to make calls and then run the power/aux cable behind the front panel and place my Android where the normal in-dash system would go.

I am a bit disappointed that non-iDrive doesn't allow for bluetooth music streaming. I feel like even the Hyundai(s) I rent on business trips have that, how much more would that have cost BMW to include since I believe it's just a software thing.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1-tahoe View Post
I am a bit disappointed that non-iDrive doesn't allow for bluetooth music streaming. I feel like even the Hyundai(s) I rent on business trips have that, how much more would that have cost BMW to include since I believe it's just a software thing.
Totally agree. I bought a new Ford fiesta earlier this year, with only mediocre options, and even that streams music from my phone via bluetooth, and it will begin doing so with a simple voice command. I had simply (and foolishly as it turns out) assumed that certainly, BMW would offer this as standard. After all, it's 2012/13. Streaming music is the new Compact Disc!

I read some posts from another thread which suggested the lack of streaming via bluetooth, is not so much the fault of software, as it is a fault of the head unit on the non-iDrive cars. Need to dig into that more to see if there's any truth to that, and if so... would a simple head unit swap work? Nah... nothing could be THAT easy.

I am taking delivery of my X1 today; it does not have iDrive so it will not stream music. I'm hoping some ingenuity will fix that. At the very least, I'm sure I can find an elegant aftermarket solution.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone907 View Post
I am taking delivery of my X1 today; it does not have iDrive so it will not stream music. I'm hoping some ingenuity will fix that. At the very least, I'm sure I can find an elegant aftermarket solution.
Let me know if you figure it out. Other than having it built in to the system I don't think you will find an elegant solution. By the way, the Hyundai(s) I am talking about are from at least 2 years ago so I don't blame you for assuming that it would be standard.

TBH, I think the best solution based on everything I've read is to put your music on USB and plug in your USB to the USB port. I tried this at the dealership and it worked great. I bought 2 really small looking 16GB USB drive and dragged half my music on one and half on the other (differentiated by gendre). You can then put in the USB and have it play random and it displays the songs.

So my solution will probably be bluetooth for calls, USB for music.

I hope that the navigation instructions on my Android will play via the bluetooth connection.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 AM

Hmm... didn't think about the USB angle. Once I get my car, I'll be able to play with it more and actually find out where the USB port(s) is/are. And the aux connector for that matter. While Pandora is great for playing music I don't currently have stored on my hard drive, I think I can find some decent tunes for use with the USB option.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone907 View Post
Totally agree. I bought a new Ford fiesta earlier this year, with only mediocre options, and even that streams music from my phone via bluetooth, and it will begin doing so with a simple voice command. I had simply (and foolishly as it turns out) assumed that certainly, BMW would offer this as standard. After all, it's 2012/13. Streaming music is the new Compact Disc!

I read some posts from another thread which suggested the lack of streaming via bluetooth, is not so much the fault of software, as it is a fault of the head unit on the non-iDrive cars. Need to dig into that more to see if there's any truth to that, and if so... would a simple head unit swap work? Nah... nothing could be THAT easy.

Signed a 3 year lease on a 328i this past March and just assumed that bluetooth audio streaming would have been a standard feature! Geez, my 2012 Camry SE had BT streaming and touchscreen (non-entune) standard.

I did ask the salesman if it had bluetooth to which he answered yes.. and it does have bluetooth, for calling, but not for audio streaming. C'mon you cheap bastards!, you're better than that!! Just glad I'm leasing it so I can ditch it soon..

Anyways, just ordered this thing on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , half the price of the crackberry gateway and just as Chinese
Old 08-04-2013, 09:01 AM

Re: Bluetooth without iDrive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljumper View Post
Signed a 3 year lease on a 328i this past March and just assumed that bluetooth audio streaming would have been a standard feature! Geez, my 2012 Camry SE had BT streaming and touchscreen (non-entune) standard.

I did ask the salesman if it had bluetooth to which he answered yes.. and it does have bluetooth, for calling, but not for audio streaming. C'mon you cheap bastards!, you're better than that!! Just glad I'm leasing it so I can ditch it soon..

Anyways, just ordered this thing on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , half the price of the crackberry gateway and just as Chinese

The blackberry gateway might be more expensive but it saves you from turning the module on and off all the time. Instead it comes on when you start your car and goes off when you turn your car off. Much cleaner and more OEM like.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
In our 128i we have the business radio. We need the USB Y-Cable (supplied at no charge by our dealer) for iPhone integration. iPhone 5 requires lightning adapter alongside Y-Cable.

I haven't tried USB flash for music, I assumed only iDrive supported this.

Last edited by nospam; 12-27-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:52 PM

Great video describing how the music gateway works:

!

Last edited by tim330i; 12-31-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
alright, I just ordered one, i'll post how well it works... wife picked up a new iPhone 5 and i don't want to shell out $$$ for another adapter
Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 AM

Well everyone, I received my Media Gateway kit yesterday and for the most part, it's a huge step in the right direction! Now, instead of having to connect my phone via cable to the car's stereo, i simply press "play" on my Pandora app, and then this kit takes over and channels my music into the stero system. The phone can stay in my coat pocket from that point forward.

A few observations:

Connecting my phone and its music in this manner, means losing the ability to skip songs via the steering wheel or radio buttons. When I had my phone connected via cable, I could still accomplish this. When using the media gateway however, I must use the phone itself to skip tracks. It's a minor inconvenience as I don't skip much, and it still certainly pales in comparison to the hassle of having to connect my phone via cable every single time. You will also lose the ability to see your song information on the radio display.

Fortunately, the volume buttons on the steering wheel still work to control the volume. I initially had a problem with the volume being too quiet on the streaming music, so I would respond by turning the volume up. But then if I changed sources to the radio, for example, suddenly it would be TOO loud. As it happens, the AUX mode on the BMW's radio comes with its own volume adjustment. When in AUX mode, you should see one of the radio buttons on the bottom labelled with "VOL ADJ" or some such; i adjusted this up a few ticks and now my volume matches other sources perfectly.

This device itself is tiny; it's smaller than a box of tic tacs. The cords required to hook it up to the aux jack, and the power cord for charging, are the real problems. It's easy enough to tuck all this away into the storage tray next to the inputs, but I'm going to explore options involving routing the cords underneath the trim and to an out-of-the-way place where I can also keep the gateway. Once it's been set up, there's no need to ever touch it again so it need not be accessible.

Phone calls are handled the same as before; if you are streaming music via this device and you receive a call, the music quits out and the car's bluetooth takes over. When the call is done, the music returns with no intervention needed from the driver.

All in all, despite losing a few minor things, the overall improvement was well worth the $50.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:47 PM

I think you did a great job explaining the functionality of this device. One thing I would like to add, though, is that your comparison is with the iPhone. My android phone unfortunately never has had the ability to be controlled via steering wheel (with the exception of volume) on our non-iDrive BMWs.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:05 PM

Hmm, interesting.

I only had limited steering-wheel-button functionality; if I recall, I could skip to the next track by pressing "down" or replay the current track by pressing "up". But that was it. Then if I had Pandora playing, sometimes the buttons would not skip the track on Pandora but instead start playing the songs stored in my phone. It seemed 50/50 on whether I'd get the next Pandora song, or be bumped over to my stored songs. Because of that, it was almost useless... if your Android device never allowed for this "feature", then I don't think you were missing out on much!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
anyone tried Belkin Bluetooth Music Receiver?

I have a 2014 X1 without iDrive, and an iPhone 5. Bluetooth works great for calls, etc, but not for music and I get why -- they chose not to enable bluetooth audio streaming for the "Professional" Radio.

I see that many of you have suggested the Blackberry Music Gateway. Before I buy one of those, has anyone tried the Belkin F8Z492TTP Bluetooth Music Receiver instead? It's half the price, and also seems to somehow not require a separate power input, which would leave the USB port free to charge the iPhone itself...

thx!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
Damn, I think I just realized that the Belkin unit requires AC power. Doh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwelle View Post
I have a 2014 X1 without iDrive, and an iPhone 5. Bluetooth works great for calls, etc, but not for music and I get why -- they chose not to enable bluetooth audio streaming for the "Professional" Radio.

I see that many of you have suggested the Blackberry Music Gateway. Before I buy one of those, has anyone tried the Belkin F8Z492TTP Bluetooth Music Receiver instead? It's half the price, and also seems to somehow not require a separate power input, which would leave the USB port free to charge the iPhone itself...

thx!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: I wish it was a Bimmer
Bluetooth without iDrive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwelle View Post

thx!
I have the Belkin Bluetooth Music Receiver. Overall, I like it. It works well and is hiss free. The audio does sound a little compressed, but there's a mod you can do to fix it. There's a metal plate inside that can be removed, and that helps the audio quality.

It does need power, and I use the 12V port with a USB charger. That leaves the USB port open.

I have my iPad Mini mounted to my dash. I play the audio from the iPad to the Belkin. My iPhone still answers through the pro radio.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by tonydetiger; 08-07-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Help!

So I recently purchased a BMW 328i (without idrive) and can't configure my bluetooth! I watched the video posted on this thread & when I go to my "menu", there isn't a "phone" option! Only computer & settings (I think).

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or could help me!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
So I recently purchased a BMW 328i (without idrive) and can't configure my bluetooth! I watched the video posted on this thread & when I go to my "menu", there isn't a "phone" option! Only computer & settings (I think).

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or could help me!
Edit/Delete Message