Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:11 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
New iDrive Firmware Released - Email Finally?

Looks like there is another update available, Version 1006.

Release notes:

> Office: Improved support for email messages. Improved display of text-message sender on iPhone devices with iOS6.

> Telephone: Improved USB connection for iPhone devices with iOS 5. Improved connectivity of certain devices. For certain devices, better display and stability during calls. Improved Bluetooth connection with HTC devices. Improved sorting of the phone book in Android devices in Japan.

> Multimedia: Improved display of additional album and track information. Improved connection and control in Bluetooth audio devices.

> Improved functionality of TeleService, BMW Online and Internet for iPhone
devices with iOS 5.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...update_vin.jsp

I am sick in bed, someone else will have to be the guinea pig on this one.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Cool! BMW is now allowing some software updates to be done at home. That was totally impossible on my old E60. Probably old news to a lot of festers, but new to me...

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 12-21-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
Cool! BMW is now allowing some software updates to be done at home. That was totally impossible on my old E60. Probably old news to a lot of festers, but new to me...
Yup.

Go to that download page. Enter your VIN. Download the file. Do not decompress.

Put the file in the root of a virgin thumbdrive. Can't be in a folder, can't be on there with other files. Empty thumbdrive, just the raw downloaded BIN file on there.

Start the car. Wait 60 seconds for iDrive to spool up fully. Insert the thumbdrive in the armrest USB port (not the glove compartment). Wait another 30 seconds for the drive to be recognized.

Scroll to Settings > Update and choose the 'update firmware' option. It'll see the file, reboot iDrive, and tell you when it's done.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Yup.

Go to that download page. Enter your VIN. Download the file. Do not decompress.

Put the file in the root of a virgin thumbdrive. Can't be in a folder, can't be on there with other files. Empty thumbdrive, just the raw downloaded BIN file on there.

Start the car. Wait 60 seconds for iDrive to spool up fully. Insert the thumbdrive in the armrest USB port (not the glove compartment). Wait another 30 seconds for the drive to be recognized.

Scroll to Settings > Update and choose the 'update firmware' option. It'll see the file, reboot iDrive, and tell you when it's done.

BJ
Does the motor actually have to be running or just have the ignition on.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
Does the motor actually have to be running or just have the ignition on.
Not sure, assume as long as iDrive has electricity it's going to take the update.

BJ

Old 12-21-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Not sure, assume as long as iDrive has electricity it's going to take the update.

BJ
I'll try without starting the motor tomorrow.

The expected behavior AFAIK is you can either do the cable or the Bluetooth. One will disable the other in the menu. I did find that iTunes Match doesn't work with the cable. So I will try BT to see if it works that way.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Awesome, doing it now. Will report back with results. Thanks again BMW for providing me with the flash drive to do it with.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 12-21-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
Awesome, doing it now. Will report back with results. Thanks again BMW for providing me with the flash drive to do it with.
Cool.

Just so you know.....these updates always have email that works the very first time you try it. But the next time you turn the car off, walk away, and then come back and turn the car on, email dies.

If you get it working, test email a few times to confirm that it 'sticks' after you've shut the car off and turned it back on again a bit later.

BJ

Old 12-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Software Engineer

Happy to report that the email issue has now been fixed. After the update I sent myself an email and it showed the notification in the control display and I was able to read it.

Another fix you now get an audible notification as well through the speakers. Not just for email but you also get audible notification for any app that has one so for example the gmail app on iOS you can hear the 'ding' through the car speakers.

Quote:
Just so you know.....these updates always have email that works the very first time you try it. But the next time you turn the car off, walk away, and then come back and turn the car on, email dies.

If you get it working, test email a few times to confirm that it 'sticks' after you've shut the car off and turned it back on again a bit later.
Good to know, I will try again shortly then.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 12-21-2012, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Happy to report that the email issue has now been fixed. After the update I sent myself an email and it showed the notification in the control display and I was able to read it.

Another fix you now get an audible notification as well through the speakers. Not just for email but you also get audible notification for any app that has one so for example the gmail app on iOS you can hear the 'ding' through the car speakers.

Great news! I have the file downloaded and will test myself shortly...
Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Interesting. Is Bluetooth Audio turned "off" on your phone?

BJ

Old 12-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
Interesting. Is Bluetooth Audio turned "off" on your phone?

BJ
No, audio is turned on for me. I tried both streaming through bluetooth on my iPhone 5 and through my iPod Touch thats plugged in to USB.

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
No, audio is turned on for me. I tried both streaming through bluetooth on my iPhone 5 and through my iPod Touch thats plugged in to USB.
Well, were you able to test it again? Did the email "stick" this time?

BJ

Old 01-05-2013, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Quote:
That is AWESOME news! I was silently hoping there would be an update that fixes this before I get my car and there it is! So cool! Now I wish there was some progress in my car production. I received the production number from my CA before Christmas and when I go to bmwusa the car isn't even showing in production yet.... :-|

Old 12-21-2012, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:

No "ding" through my speakers. I repaired the phone and it only allowed me to check telephone and audio. Nothing else was listed. Is that how yours was? When I plug the phone in my cradle it says bluetooth audio disabled. This is a 2012 car with iPhone 4S and iOS 6.0.1
Old 12-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Software Engineer

The motor has to be running and the car has to be in park.

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 12-21-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks. But as a fellow manual transmission brother, we do not have Park

But I get it, car stationary. Don't know who the hell would update while driving, but you see worse on the commute to work everyday.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive
I did the update on my E90, just pressed the button once to turn electronics on without starting the car and it worked fine. Also, I had the file on the root of the USB drive, but also had other files on there without a problem.

I just checked that the update properly installed, but didn't notice any immediate changes in functionality, but again it is an E90 so not sure how many of the improvements mentioned will pertain in my case. I'll need to play with it more over the weekend.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Did mine with motor off
Old 12-21-2012, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:

Release notes:

> Office: Improved support for email messages. Improved display of text-message sender on iPhone devices with iOS6.

> Telephone: Improved USB connection for iPhone devices with iOS 5. Improved connectivity of certain devices. For certain devices, better display and stability during calls. Improved Bluetooth connection with HTC devices. Improved sorting of the phone book in Android devices in Japan.

> Multimedia: Improved display of additional album and track information. Improved connection and control in Bluetooth audio devices.

devices with iOS 5.

BJ
Thanks BJ unfortunately I didn't read this until 10:40 pm so I will up date mine in the morning. Hope you feel better.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 328I
I installed the update successfully but emails are still not coming through....I do receive txt msgs as per usual with no audio notification however.

Multimedia: MX-003.005.004
Telephone: MX-003.005.006

Golovko: If you can spell out your set up for both the iPhone and the idrive it would be appreciated

P.S. I'm on iOS 6.0.2 / iPhone 5

**Update... Good news: After spending some time in my car I was able to get it receive both emails and txt messages on a regular/frequent basis...
Bad news: After the success that I outlined above, I decided to turn off the car and let it sit a few mins....after which I restarted the car and tried to send an email.....No luck...emails were no longer coming through....but txt msgs continued to work fine....

It seems that this software update did not fix our issues after all....back to the drawing board.

Last edited by B1aze; 12-21-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:24 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1aze View Post
I installed the update successfully but emails are still not coming through....I do receive txt msgs as per usual with no audio notification however.

Multimedia: MX-003.005.004
Telephone: MX-003.005.006

Golovko: If you can spell out your set up for both the iPhone and the idrive it would be appreciated

P.S. I'm on iOS 6.0.2 / iPhone 5

**Update... Good news: After spending some time in my car I was able to get it receive both emails and txt messages on a regular/frequent basis...
Bad news: After the success that I outlined above, I decided to turn off the car and let it sit a few mins....after which I restarted the car and tried to send an email.....No luck...emails were no longer coming through....but txt msgs continued to work fine....

It seems that this software update did not fix our issues after all....back to the drawing board.
The email fix must be at Apple's end as this feature was working in one iOS 6 Beta version and then got broken by the release version.

New text/emails sound via the car speakers has worked since day 1: flip the speaker switch to on on the upper left side of the iPhone.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: 328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The email fix must be at Apple's end as this feature was working in one iOS 6 Beta version and then got broken by the release version.

New text/emails sound via the car speakers has worked since day 1: flip the speaker switch to on on the upper left side of the iPhone.

I think you are right...I guess we all have to wait/hope that apple will get this problem resolved in upcoming updates.

P.S. my toggle switch on the upper left of the phone was in the 'on' position when I was testing but I still did not get any audible tones via the car speakers for new emails/text msgs
Old 12-22-2012, 06:40 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1aze View Post
I think you are right...I guess we all have to wait/hope that apple will get this problem resolved in upcoming updates.

P.S. my toggle switch on the upper left of the phone was in the 'on' position when I was testing but I still did not get any audible tones via the car speakers for new emails/text msgs
Ummm... it works with my iPhone 4S with the latest iOS version connected via USB.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
Quote:

Release notes:

devices with iOS 5.

BJ

Thanks for sharing. None of these are useful to me, but its nice to see updates being released. Hope you feel better.

BMWCCA #471315