Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 12-23-2012, 05:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Barcelona, Spain (need suggestions: favorite things to do/see)

Honeymoon Only have 4 days. (taking a bigger trip this summer)

We like to walk a lot. It looks like we'll have enough to explore around where we're staying. Any recommendations on what we *must* see and must do? Average high is 55F and low is in the 40's, so mild-cold.

Any sight seeing tours in-particular that you liked, didn't like, etc. Favorite restaurant? (I'm reading up on TripAdvisor, but figured I'd check in here too)

I know you guys(gals) travel a lot, so would love to hear your suggestions/experiences traveling in Barcelona... I've never been there, hubster has (only once). ...should be a nice fun get away.
Ads by Google
Old 12-23-2012, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
On your first day, take the Barcelona city bus tour. Double-decker buses with recorded guide in many languages. They will take you to all the significant sites in the city and give you a good overview explanation of the city. You can get off at any stops that look interesting and then get back on a later bus to continue the tour. During the winter it will probably be the shorter route, but you will still get an extensive tour of the city. Then you can decide what to do for the next three days. It's a great city.

Where are you staying?
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).
Old 12-23-2012, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMikeTX View Post
On your first day, take the Barcelona city bus tour. Double-decker buses with recorded guide in many languages. They will take you to all the significant sites in the city and give you a good overview explanation of the city. You can get off at any stops that look interesting and then get back on a later bus to continue the tour. During the winter it will probably be the shorter route, but you will still get an extensive tour of the city. Then you can decide what to do for the next three days. It's a great city.

Where are you staying?
+1 Great way to see all the hot spots and then decide where you want to spend more time on later days. Of course you have to spend a few hours here:

http://www.sagradafamilia.cat/

Incredible architecture (sp?) all over the city. Great place, you'll love it!!
Old 12-23-2012, 06:25 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
There are so many fantastic cathedrals to see - check them out! The statues and carvings are great to see.

We had a hotel in the old town area - Cate Dral I believe. Fantastic walking/eating area.

Also, I don't remember the mountain, but take the train to see the Black Madonna. It is high and colder, but nice to see. Train to tram which takes you to the top.

Tapas at some of the local restaurants is a must also!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!

Last edited by madurodave; 12-23-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMikeTX View Post

Where are you staying?
http://www.grandmarinahotel.com/en/hotel.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
There are so many fantastic cathedrals to see - check them out! The statues and carvings are great to see.

We had a hotel in the old town area - Cate Dral I believe. Fantastic walking/eating area.

Also, I don't remember the mountain, but take the train to see the Black Madonna. It is high and colder, but nice to see. Train to tram which takes you to the top.

Tapas at some of the local restaurants is a must also!
Will have to look into that!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Good hotel location. At marina and close to La Rambla.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).
Old 12-23-2012, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Picasso museum
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 12-23-2012, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 635csi
The most beautiful women in the world

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 12-23-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockomoth View Post
The most beautiful people in the world

Fixed your post. Spain really does have some great specimans of the human population. Must be the water.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Black Redstart

Red Kite

Black-headed Gull

Yellow-legged Gull

Gray Heron
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 12-23-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockomoth View Post
The most beautiful women in the world

Going for honeymoon. Not to check out chicks.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfan1964 View Post
+1 Great way to see all the hot spots and then decide where you want to spend more time on later days. Of course you have to spend a few hours here:

http://www.sagradafamilia.cat/

Incredible architecture (sp?) all over the city. Great place, you'll love it!!
I think the architecture is what I'm looking forward to most!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
I think the architecture is what I'm looking forward to most!!!
Just wander through the old town then. It is pretty incredible. We were there this summer.

BTW. . . Congratulations on getting married. I used to hang out here all the time about 6-7 years ago and remember your name. I was more of a lurker than a poster, though. I only check in now every few months.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Local food and local wine. Walk to the center of the city and ask around who serves the best paella (pronounced pa-eh-ah).

Seriously, the food is great there. I'd be careful not to waste too much time on lame tourist attractions. Instead, mingle with the locals and ask them what's the best things to do. For me, going to a foreign country is about the local's way of life, not architectures.

And be prepared that their "schedule" is not in any way similar to our "schedule".

Great choice of a country and city, BTW. Say hi to my ancestors in Barcelona.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Local food and local wine. Walk to the center of the city and ask around who serves the best paella (pronounced pa-eh-ah).

Seriously, the food is great there. I'd be careful not to waste too much time on lame tourist attractions. Instead, mingle with the locals and ask them what's the best things to do. For me, going to a foreign country is about the local's way of life, not architectures.

And be prepared that their "schedule" is not in any way similar to our "schedule".

Agree with bolded . . . . except that I'm a great lover of architecture, so to me that IS a lot of what I enjoy most and I'm really not all that interested in the food when I travel. I'll come home with hundreds of pictures of buildings with amazing architecture and not one with me or anyone else in them. If you're a foodie, the food is great there though - and paella is their claim to fame. If you like sea food, then you need to try it there.

I fell in love with Barcelona the first time I went and started going back every year for my birthday for several years when I always seemed to vouchers or enough miles for a free trip. Once I stopped traveling so much for business and would have had to actually pay for the fare, I stopped going so much. But but it really is a great city just to hang out in and "do as the locals do."

There aren't a zillion tourist attractions in Barcelona proper that take days to knock out like there are in cities like Paris, London and Rome though, and I'm not normally one for tours, but the bus tour mentioned above is your best bet for Barcelona, as you can probably knock out the main one's in a day that way and still not feel rushed. I'm pretty sure Park Güell is on it. If not (and weather permitting), it's really interesting and well worth checking out. After that, just take your camera and wander. You'll find amazing architecture just walking around in neighborhoods that aren't on any tour. Passeig de Gràcia which is Bacelona's version of the Champs-Élysées in Paris. A very wide, beautiful boulevard with more great architecture, upscale shopping and tons of restaurants.

Have fun!
Old 12-25-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post

I didn't realize you were spanish. Cool!
Schedule...as in they're always late, running behind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillnTime View Post
BTW. . . Congratulations on getting married. I used to hang out here all the time about 6-7 years ago and remember your name. I was more of a lurker than a poster, though. I only check in now every few months.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
Agree with bolded . . . . except that I'm a great lover of architecture, so to me that IS a lot of what I enjoy most and I'm really not all that interested in the food when I travel. I'll come home with hundreds of pictures of buildings with amazing architecture and not one with me or anyone else in them. If you're a foodie, the food is great there though - and paella is their claim to fame. If you like sea food, then you need to try it there.

I fell in love with Barcelona the first time I went and started going back every year for my birthday for several years when I always seemed to vouchers or enough miles for a free trip. Once I stopped traveling so much for business and would have had to actually pay for the fare, I stopped going so much. But but it really is a great city just to hang out in and "do as the locals do."

There aren't a zillion tourist attractions in Barcelona proper that take days to knock out like there are in cities like Paris, London and Rome though, and I'm not normally one for tours, but the bus tour mentioned above is your best bet for Barcelona, as you can probably knock out the main one's in a day that way and still not feel rushed. I'm pretty sure Park Güell is on it. If not (and weather permitting), it's really interesting and well worth checking out. After that, just take your camera and wander. You'll find amazing architecture just walking around in neighborhoods that aren't on any tour. Passeig de Gràcia which is Bacelona's version of the Champs-Élysées in Paris. A very wide, beautiful boulevard with more great architecture, upscale shopping and tons of restaurants.

Have fun!
Oh great tips! Thank you!!! I'm so excited. I can't believe I've never been to Spain. I wanted to go back to Italy, but he insisted on Spain since I'd never been. ...and said Barcelona is one of his favorites! We're getting a new camera for Christmas, so we are definitely looking forward to wondering around and taking pictures! (nothing fancy, but better than my iPhone LMAO)

I may need to learn a little bit of the language before we go... just the basics at least.

Thanks for all the info. If you guys can think of anything else, LMK! I'm getting a list together!!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Have fun!
Any wineries to recommend? Is April a decent time of year for that sort of thing?

Funny, I've only been to Europe in the really cold months.... I'd imagine Spain would be pretty warm in the spring.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-25-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Oh, you mentioned an iPhone. There are some translator apps out there you can download that will translate words for you and even speak them so you can hear how they sound!
Omg. Awesome. I will have to play around w it later today. I went to sprint yesterday to see if there was anything special I needed todo to make sure my phone worked there. (More concerned about not having a phone when we spent almost a moth in Australia, but asked about Spain too)
(I'm new to iPhone and was used to the card in androids...didn't know how it worked for this)

Do you use any of the aforementioned apps? Do you have one in particular to recommend?

What a great idea...duh...should have thought about that.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
Omg. Awesome. I will have to play around w it later today. I went to sprint yesterday to see if there was anything special I needed todo to make sure my phone worked there. (More concerned about not having a phone when we spent almost a moth in Australia, but asked about Spain too)
(I'm new to iPhone and was used to the card in androids...didn't know how it worked for this)

Do you use any of the aforementioned apps? Do you have one in particular to recommend?

What a great idea...duh...should have thought about that.
I have one on my phone called Trippo, but I haven't traveled abroad since I've had an iPhone. I know there are several apps like this out there now, but don't know which is best. I'd get whatever's free and go with that.

EDIT: Hey, didn't realize you already tied the knot. Congrats!

Last edited by 1Dreamer; 12-25-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Sandy, congrats on your wedding and upcoming honeymoon. Your thread has my attention as Barcelona is one of our stops on next year's ED. Enjoy your trip and tell us all about it when you return!

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 12-25-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
EDIT: Hey, didn't realize you already tied the knot. Congrats!
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
Sandy, congrats on your wedding and upcoming honeymoon. Your thread has my attention as Barcelona is one of our stops on next year's ED. Enjoy your trip and tell us all about it when you return!
Will definitely take notes for you guys
Old 01-01-2013, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
We was one of few ED who drop off in Madrid in 2006.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157222

OP - congrats on your marriage!
I think, I saw you ones when you fly to LA for Bimmerfest.
Tapas in Barcelona best in the World.
One of the poster send me this recommendation for my ED:
Quote:
I would recommend a two British guys who run a walking tour called Adventurous Appetites. They give you an evening walking tour of Madrid that stops in several Tapas and Sherry bars for a very reasonable amount of Euros. I don't remember the web site but you can Google for them.

I also suggest a stop in the Westin Palace near the Prado for a really cool dining room under a huge stained glass ceiling. Not Cheap to eat there but really worth a look.

Cheers
http://www.gomadrid.com/tapas/tapas-tour.html

http://www.partner.viator.com/en/345...6-2294ADVTAPAS

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB330 View Post
We was one of few ED who drop off in Madrid in 2006.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157222
Oh, just noticed this post. The link provides a trip down memory lane!

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 01-23-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I will try and stay organized and keep details of where we went/what we did. Favorite places, restaurants, etc. Perhaps we can give you guys some "must see" ideas for your ED. (itineary for your trip is quite impressive, btw).

I finally got a "real" camera, so we will take and share as many pictures as we can! GarySL has us on a bit of a birding mission, will be interesting if I can snap a few shots of some of his feathery friends.

Doing laundry and starting to pack today; we leave Saturday am! Someone told me we are going to share a suitcase. ...I'm a bit of an over-packer, so we'll see how that goes.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Good luck on the packing!
Have a great trip and "Bon Voyage!"

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos: