Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-23-2012, 11:03 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,471
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Tpm?

I am getting a TPM error even after resets. All pressures are correct. I assume I have a bad sensor. How do you tell what wheels are working and how do you test these transmitters?
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 12-24-2012, 01:32 AM
rebel.ranter rebel.ranter is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cork, Ireland
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 466
Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
That's strange, I thought all e63 had the RPA system? This system does not have its own sensors but relies on measurements from each wheel speed sensor from the ABS system. It can determine a change in rolling radius from this & therefore flag this change as a drop in tyre pressure.
During the calibration stage it takes measurements at different speeds, as the diameter will be different as the speed of the car changes. That is why you see the system message "initialising" when you first reset it iDrive.
Have you reset it since you fitted your new M6 wheels? It's under "i" -> "Vehicle Settings" -> "RPA". You must do this after any change in tyre or top up of tyre pressure.

(Tyre = tire)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-24-2012, 07:52 AM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,471
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
That's strange, I thought all e63 had the RPA system? This system does not have its own sensors but relies on measurements from each wheel speed sensor from the ABS system. It can determine a change in rolling radius from this & therefore flag this change as a drop in tyre pressure.
During the calibration stage it takes measurements at different speeds, as the diameter will be different as the speed of the car changes. That is why you see the system message "initialising" when you first reset it iDrive.
Have you reset it since you fitted your new M6 wheels? It's under "i" -> "Vehicle Settings" -> "RPA". You must do this after any change in tyre or top up of tyre pressure.

(Tyre = tire)
Thanks but no, it's a TPM system with sensor in each wheel valve. At least on the '07 I have. Maybe late models are different.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-24-2012, 08:09 AM
645/333's Avatar
645/333 645/333 is offline
Michael
Location: uk
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,174
Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
+1 on checking codes first before looking at each sensor, if my understanding is correct this is built into the wheel and given you bought these wheels after they were chromed you may have duff sensor???? It is not uncommon !!!
__________________

Does my bum look good in this !
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-24-2012, 11:19 AM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,471
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
+1 on checking codes first before looking at each sensor, if my understanding is correct this is built into the wheel and given you bought these wheels after they were chromed you may have duff sensor???? It is not uncommon !!!
No, these are not built into the wheels. They are separate sensors that mount in the wheels. Here is the detail on the parts, #1 and 2.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-24-2012, 06:02 PM
HerbP HerbP is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,693
Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Did this happen after you changed your wheels?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-24-2012, 04:45 AM
Mulchman's Avatar
Mulchman Mulchman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Valley Forge, PA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 537
Mein Auto: '07 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
I am getting a TPM error even after resets. All pressures are correct. I assume I have a bad sensor. How do you tell what wheels are working and how do you test these transmitters?
Roseng -You have a DIS/NCS setup don't you? Connect to DIS and see if you're getting any faults in the system. RRanter is pretty knowledgable with the PC stuff maybe he can point you in the right direction. I'm going into the office for a little while this a.m., but I'll plug into mine when I get home.
__________________
'07 650i Coupe - Black Sapphire Metallic
M6 bumpers, skirts & wheels
BMW M Cross Spoke Composite 101 Rims 20"
HUD, Comfort Access

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-24-2012, 07:50 AM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,471
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman View Post
Roseng -You have a DIS/NCS setup don't you? Connect to DIS and see if you're getting any faults in the system. RRanter is pretty knowledgable with the PC stuff maybe he can point you in the right direction. I'm going into the office for a little while this a.m., but I'll plug into mine when I get home.
Good thought. I'll give it a shot and see if I can tell anything.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-24-2012, 10:39 AM
coug60's Avatar
coug60 coug60 is offline
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg
Location: Nothern California - Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,025
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
On the TPM system doesn't it give you psi for each tire? On my 7 series it did. You should just be able to look at the affected tire in the system. If you aren't maybe the TPM receiver is bad...
__________________

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-25-2012, 09:43 AM
colink colink is offline
Registered User
Location: Oklahoma
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 90
Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
Wink

"Same sensors, same tires, new wheels same but size."

Freudian slip or a Christmas Bangle?

I hope you get a resolution for Christmas Roseng.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-25-2012, 11:08 AM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,471
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by colink View Post
"Same sensors, same tires, new wheels same but size."

Freudian slip or a Christmas Bangle?

I hope you get a resolution for Christmas Roseng.
Oops, too much egg nog!
It is the same size wheels.

Thanks for the XMAS wishes, not sure how I can unwrap it though
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-26-2012, 12:04 AM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,471
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by colink View Post
"Same sensors, same tires, new wheels same but size."

Freudian slip or a Christmas Bangle?

I hope you get a resolution for Christmas Roseng.
Well Colink,
Your wishes may have worked. Kind of bizarre but I ran out to the store today and on the way there no change and same errors. When I came back suddenly and for no apparent reason, all was ok and no errors.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White

Last edited by roseng; 12-26-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:21 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,471
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
Well Colink,
Your wishes may have worked. Kind of bizarre but I ran out to the store today and on the way there no change and same errors. When I came back suddenly and for no apparent reason, all was ok and no errors.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Well not surprising, it's back I have an appt. with my local shop next week. He thinks it may be one of the sensors.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-26-2012, 07:16 AM
colink colink is offline
Registered User
Location: Oklahoma
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 90
Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
I wish, I wish for a new M6 for everyone on the list!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-26-2012, 07:57 AM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,471
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by colink View Post
I wish, I wish for a new M6 for everyone on the list!
Now I'm going to have to come to Oklahoma and buy you a beer.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms