Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Repainting Entire Car

What would be a fair price to have my 325i sedan completely repainted? I know with various demographics its hard to say for sure, but I'd like some input to develop a ball park estimate.

Member No. 470379
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
If you plan on keeping your car for more than 6 months, do not put a cheapie paint job on it. A *good* paint job can (and usually DOES) cost thousands of dollars because the finished product is directly proportional to the amount of prep work that went into it (which is where the *serious* money adds up).

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
A *good* paint job can (and usually DOES) cost thousands.
You might get a zip-code specific answer here:
- Generic repairpal labor/job/shop rates by zip code (1)
Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
If you plan on keeping your car for more than 6 months, do not put a cheapie paint job on it. A *good* paint job can (and usually DOES) cost thousands of dollars because the finished product is directly proportional to the amount of prep work that went into it (which is where the *serious* money adds up).
Honestly, I may keep this car for the rest of my life. Some people want a Corvette or Ferrari, I always wanted an E46. Of course I have two bimmers, but this one will always be my first.

I'm trying to talk my insurance into repainting the whole car. We had a bad storm a few days ago; the wind blew down a dartboard that was hanging up in the car port onto the car leaving a small dent, and some branches scratched up the left side of the car. All in all, its nothing major, you can't even really tell unless you get right up on the car, but maybe I'll get lucky. So far they have had their own appraiser come and and have offered me $1400.00; however, it was raining when the appraiser came out and he made note of additional damage that could exist and that the estimate might need revisions. I'm thinking, once I get some appraisals from third parties, I might be able to get about $3500 total which could completely go for a paint job.

I plan to keep the original color: titanium silver.

Member No. 470379
Old 12-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330ci (and Archer II)
Same color or different color? It can make a big difference. If different color that means many other areas (door jams, under hood, trunk, etc.) must also be painted.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
If you DIY at all and don't mind working hard, you can opt to do lots of prep yourself. Saves tons of money, which translates to a much better spray quality you can afford.