Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:29 PM
650i vert

Mein Auto: 650i
No audio following low battery

Seasons greetings, I had left the car standing for a few days and although car started the service light came on informing me of low battery, I took it for a nice long run but it was at night so did not get a full charge, initially I had problems with the cic irratic and shutting down this has now stabilised after a charge up but I still have no audio at all, I pulled the battery during the charge and have checked the fuses, next on list is check for water damage to amp and surrounding electrics, the thing I can't seem to get any info for is the most bus reset and where it is located, anyone out there give me any hints

Regards
Gaz (06 650 vert, sat nav tv)
Ads by Google
Old 12-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Have your battery load tested while you have it out. It must be fully charged to determine if the battery has a problem. If the battery is shot, a new battery with a fresh charge might fix the problem. The car will go into a load shed if the battery is weak. A fresh charge will not fix problems, if a cell is going bad.

Good Luck!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:04 AM
650i vert

Thanks Herbp for your reply, here is an update, battery fully charged and Load test good, removed left rear trim to get at amp and most bus, unplugged and reconnected both amp and most bus module, still no audio, all other idrive functions are working less audio. I noticed that I had red light going in through the blue connector in to the most bus but nothing coming out to brown and green optic connections and fan not operating does this mean the most bus is shot or not getting input? I have live feed into most bus also checked all fuses in car and in rear, all good, anyone out there any more ideas before the dreaded dealer has to be involved ?
Cheers Gaz
Old 12-29-2012, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
The online BMW TIS has been shutdown or been moved. If this was up & running, the WDS section would give the troubleshooting sequence. I have a copy of TIS, but I am not sure if it has the wiring diagram section in it. Maybe Yorgi or TxTaz might be able to help you out?

Good Luck!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:02 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
The TIS and WDS are separate discs. I think there is a WDS access on the net, just do a search. If I was looking at this, given the battery was the only fault you had before, ie low and now that you have recharged it to full charge, outside of maybe having to reset Idrive etc you should not have any fault. I believe that you cannot necessarily just disconnect things on these cars as they have to be coded in, and disconnecting can make the car believe the item is no longer there.
Check your fuses first, if the amp is working the fan will be running as again I think this is standard...... outside of this just verify there are no other resets to do???

Finally just a note of caution to those writers of threads about not using the car over the winter( or even for a couple of weeks) and not charging the battery whilst in storage,.....these cars can loose charge faster than water down a river and if you are not on top of the issue you will have lots of random problems even if you get the battery back to a full charge!!!!!

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 12-30-2012, 06:24 AM
650i vert

Guys thanks for your reply's, I agree I should not have a problem!! I have located the amp and other box (most bus I'm guessing) in the boot left side, the amp has a feed but there is no fan So no way of telling if it's working, however there is a fan on the larger unit that too has a feed and a red light on the blue connector but fan not running (it does kick in for a second when connected) what should I be seeing here, should I be seeing red light at the brown and green optical connections, what should I be looking for at the back of thee ccc' I'm guessing if all was ok there should be light at all these connections? I'm thinking go for dealer to check out my we check software and recode.
Again thanks for the reply and best wishes for the new year to all
Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Wilma

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Road, 650i, 328xd
I had issues just recently here in Cncinnati..weather got down to 15 degs F. My Car is driven daily...I left home and within 1 mile of the house, I had a transmission fault and the Engine stopped...It happened at a 4 way stop, with traffic in all directions...Embarrassed to say the least...Kept Calm and restarted the car and limped off to a parking lot understand what the message center was displaying...Earlier that day when parked in Walmart...the alarm system was chirping when I was returning back to the car and when I started the car it suddenly shut off with 30 secs of starting...Car restarted without issue...Having reviewed all threads on battery issues and transmission fault codes, I checked the battery...Black Eye indicated...so I associated my problems with the cold and the battery not functioning correctly when at low rpms or at stop...I have since replaced my Battery with an Interstate MTP H8 and had the local BMW Enthusiast garage reset the codes...Cost me $225 for Battery and Labor...Battery cost $175...All logged codes were reset and the battery registered to the vehicle electronic system...Have been out in 12 deg F weather and have had no problems since...My suggestion is find a Garage that will replace the Battery, Register it to the Vehicle, and reset all the codes and see what happens...Best to shop around...Local BMW Store & Jake Sweeney BMW wanted more than $520 for this service stating it took 3 hours to register battery to electronic system...It takes around 15 mins max for the registering update...
Old 01-05-2013, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i Convertible
Might be broken wires in wire loom from body to trunk lid I had a problem with my trunk latch. Traced the problem to the loom and broken wires. When I opened it I saw many broken wires it's crazy how they just snap in two. Comes from out of no where. I can look for some pics if you want to see it.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:27 PM

Wdkik

What do you mean by registering your battery? If you put in a battery will it not work? I've done it before with no problems. Thanks
Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrogen View Post
Wdkik

What do you mean by registering your battery? If you put in a battery will it not work? I've done it before with no problems. Thanks
The car keeps track of the age of the battery and changes the charging voltage as the battery ages. This helps get more life out of the battery.

If you install a new battery without registering it (ie resetting the battery age clock to zero in the cars main computer) then the car will be charging your new battery with a voltage that is too high, and this will shorten the life of the new battery.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 PM

Oh I see good to know. Is there anyway to do this reset myself? Kind of like reseting your brake wear or oil change lights. Or maybe I can buy a computer of some sort or a link to tap in with my laptop?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 AM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrogen View Post
Oh I see good to know. Is there anyway to do this reset myself? Kind of like reseting your brake wear or oil change lights. Or maybe I can buy a computer of some sort or a link to tap in with my laptop?
Yes, you can actually get "unofficial" copies of the exact same software the dealer uses to read codes and program the car. You can also download the TIS/ETK/WDS which are the shop manual/parts diagrams/wiring diagrams that the dealer uses.

Do a google search (or search the forums) for BMW DIS. You will also need a cable and lots of reading. Here is a decent thread, there are many others.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 01-06-2013, 12:28 AM

Thanks Yorgi! I will post my hacking results as soon as I can!

I work with computers all day so I am very good at programing.
This will be fun.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 AM
650i vert

Ok small update, still using as my daily and battery holding good with green colour in display, the additional issues have been caused by me messing around and not from battery deteriation, will update after reprogram tomorrow, it will be interesting as my indi has just spent $$$ on new equipment he claims is better than dealer, we shall see!!

regards gaz
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 AM
650i vert

Further update

Booked in with indi, picked up following day, tech said no faults found! I don't believe he actually looked at it, I know I have a headlamp steper issue that comes up all the time, won't be going there again, i completely stripped the ccc down to the bare frame and checked what I could with limited knowledge and tools, did not find anything, on a plus I managed to get the discs out by releasing the motor screw and manually winding the cog, I have concluded that the ccc is dead, just the fan spinning and surround lights on, have to pull the fuse to stop battery going flat looked on eBay they are about 400 + does any one know what fails on the ccc, or have one for sale? I am going to ring the dealer for a price tomorrow you never know!! Would love to be able to fix and post results to help fellow members with fridrive
Will continue to update any progress.