Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

View Poll Results: BMW vs toyota?
2010 Prius 40k-50k miles cpo 5 50.00%
2006 325i 100k-110k miles non-cpo 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2013, 03:53 AM

Mein Auto: Future bmw owner :P
BMW 325i vs Prius? Maintenance?

I know interesting title. Should this even be a comparison? That isn't really my question :P
I feel like I have somewhat of a dilemma and your guys opinions and expertise would be much appreciated!

So, I am looking to buy a "new" car (my own money) and wanted to know your guys opinions. I was wondering what route to take.

My options:

A 2010 toyota prius about 40-50k miles for about $20k-$22k CPO.

OR-

A 2006 BMW 325i sedan about 100k-110K miles for about $13k-$14k. NON-CPO private seller.

My parents say I should get the prius, and in all honestly I wouldn't mind driving the prius. It is newer and the thought of saving the environment and gas would make me happy too. BUT, I would much rather have the 2006 bmw over the 2010 prius. I have two side when it come to driving, save gas and the environment or drive in a car with the ability to pass traffic and merge into traffic easily type of driving.

This is what i was thinking, which one would cost more or which one is more worth it?

The prius is about $20k-22k(nav., leather, sunroof w/ solar panels, heated seats.) . my monthly payments would be about $300-$350 a month (down payment about $4k) and the insurance from a cheap company for me is about 700$ a year full coverage.

The BMW (base) that is $12k-14k my monthly payments would be about $160-$220 (down about $4k). The insurance from a cheap company about the same $712 a year full coverage.

So I would save about $130-$160 a month from monthly payments driving the bimmer that I could put toward the more expensive maintenance, repairs, and gas I would be facing with the bmw.

I do drive about 1K a month if that helps.

But I was wondering is that enough to somewhat "even it out" so to speak? Will the bimmer cost much more to own if im already saving about $130-160 a month driving it over the Prius?

And even after i pay off both cars how much more will it cost to maintain this bimmer that already has an existing 100k miles on it over the prius? but would is it worth it?

Is there anything else I should take into consideration that i have over looked? At least i think i have the bases covered.

The opinions and comments would be appriciated! THANKS ALL!

Last edited by benbmw; 01-05-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
I own a 2011 Prius that cost me $22K brand new in Fall 2011 (has ~12K miles today). Also have an E93 and current gen MX-5 (both ~11K miles)

If you have to think about it get the Prius. It's my car of choice for any long journey: more comfortable than the BMW + obviously better mpg and way, way better reliability.

The Prius is obviously down on power + cabin noise is higher but it's pretty close to a luxury car. Handling in the Prius is better than you'd think; it's no where near my MX-5 with aftermarket suspension but neither is the E93.

Keep harassing Toyota dealers and don't pay more than $23K for a brand new Prius

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 01-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
I own a 2011 Prius that cost me $22K brand new in Fall 2011 (has ~12K miles today). Also have an E93 and current gen MX-5 (both ~11K miles)

If you have to think about it get the Prius. It's my car of choice for any long journey: more comfortable than the BMW + obviously better mpg and way, way better reliability.

The Prius is obviously down on power + cabin noise is higher but it's pretty close to a luxury car. Handling in the Prius is better than you'd think; it's no where near my MX-5 with aftermarket suspension but neither is the E93.

Keep harassing Toyota dealers and don't pay more than $23K for a brand new Prius
Also, the E90 in the mix is rather late in its lifespan. I doubt an extended warranty is available for that car. OP would be rolling the dice on significant repairs.

Re. the Prius, things can be done to improve the handling (wider wheels & tires, front and rear suspension braces, possibly rear sway bar). The biggest downside of stock Prius is its susceptibility to cross-winds. Adding the suspension braces cures the cross-wind problems.

If the Prius is going to get the nod, be sure to check the service history on the car. If the oil changes have not been done at 5,000 mile intervals, there is a risk of sludge build-up.

MP3 - you really think the Prius is more comfortable than the E93? What seats do you have in your E93? Both the E90 and my ex-E93 were equipped with the Sport package, and I would rate the Sport package seats on par with the best (Volvo, MB) seats. Prius has manual adjustable seating that has its limits. I have gone on 5 hour road trips in the E90 with no seat problems. I doubt I would make a similar attempt with a Prius.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Re. the Prius, things can be done to improve the handling (wider wheels & tires, front and rear suspension braces, possibly rear sway bar). The biggest downside of stock Prius is its susceptibility to cross-winds. Adding the suspension braces cures the cross-wind problems.

If the Prius is going to get the nod, be sure to check the service history on the car. If the oil changes have not been done at 5,000 mile intervals, there is a risk of sludge build-up.

MP3 - you really think the Prius is more comfortable than the E93? What seats do you have in your E93? Both the E90 and my ex-E93 were equipped with the Sport package, and I would rate the Sport package seats on par with the best (Volvo, MB) seats. Prius has manual adjustable seating that has its limits. I have gone on 5 hour road trips in the E90 with no seat problems. I doubt I would make a similar attempt with a Prius.

Some good made points there

The Prius does not like cross winds

Handling is really not bad. For the first week or so I felt it was terrible but once used to it one finds it's predicable at the limit even with lots of body roll. There are no bizarre geometry changes like cheap cars had twenty years ago. Absolute corning speed is obviously not that high but it's predicable and fun can be had - honestly. Several on the Prius forum upgraded to TRD shocks/springs but that's not why we bought the Prius

Good point on sludge. Our Prius was changed to synthetic at 1,000 miles - I imagine less than 1% of owners would do that. Most owners will do minimal servicing using Jiffy Lube etc once out of warranty

Our E93 has the sports package which is reasonably smooth considering the limited roll (during sensible driving). For me it's just not that comfortable on long journeys compared to the Prius. The BMW SP seats are totally light years ahead. The seats are perhaps the most impressive thing about my BMW - almost cannot believe how many ways they adjust

In Europe I tend to drive ~90mph+ on motorways and likely would prefer the BMW there, in the US we drive at 70->80 mph on the highways which tend to be rougher. The Prius is just so smooth and fairly quiet that'd even on trips to the beach (300+ miles) we'll likely take the Prius even though it would great to have the convertible there

Soon-ish virtually all cars will have self adjusting dampers. That time cannot arrive soon enough

Quote:
since replacing the hybrid drive battery is on the order of $5,000.
Untrue. At least the myth is getting better, most used to quote $8K+. A new OEM battery is $2,299, install cost takes it to about $3K IIRC. It's possible to recondition to original battery just swapping out the dead cells - that's obviously much less expensive. Many on the Prius forums have the original battery at 200K miles and have spent little or sometimes nothing on repairs. How many BMWs even last that long before being junked?

Any BMW owner who hates the Prius should check out the Prius 299,999+ mile club and prepare to weep http://priuschat.com/threads/299-999-mile-club.79235/ Some are nudging half a million miles (with few repairs!)

It would be fun to take out Prius to a track day and see how many I can pass in the beginner sessions. With TRD suspension it'd certainly be possible

Last edited by MP3_E46; 01-06-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
snip...

Untrue. At least the myth is getting better, most used to quote $8K+. A new OEM battery is $2,299, install cost takes it to about $3K IIRC. It's possible to recondition to original battery just swapping out the dead cells - that's obviously much less expensive. Many on the Prius forums have the original battery at 200K miles and have spent little or sometimes nothing on repairs. How many BMWs even last that long before being junked?

Any BMW owner who hates the Prius should check out the Prius 299,999+ mile club and prepare to weep http://priuschat.com/threads/299-999-mile-club.79235/ Some are nudging half a million miles (with few repairs!)

It would be fun to take out Prius to a track day and see how many I can pass in the beginner sessions. With TRD suspension it'd certainly be possible
What is dealership price on the battery pack replacement? A friend who is a service manager at a Toyota dealership mentioned that the replacement cost for a hybrid battery pack runs just under $5,000. I stopped in to pick them up for a Lunch meeting and a 2nd Gen Prius was in the shop with the whole back end opened up. Curiosity got the better of me and I asked what was the matter with the Prius. Battery pack replacement was the answer. My next question was how much and that was when I learned about the AT-PZEV coverage.

IMO playing games with replacing individual cells is venturing into voodoo land. Also can be hazardous to your health if you don't know exactly what you are doing. Toyota techs don't venture there; they just replace the old with new.

Edit: If memory serves, the TRD suspension consists of lowering springs and maybe shocks. Cross-wind problems are due to body roll when the wind hits the wide surface area of the side of the Prius. I suspect there is more side surface area to the Prius than the E90.... Anyhows, I have personal experience with curing cross-wind problems - a friend was complaining about the cross-wind problem with their 2nd Gen Prius. I suggested the suspension braces and wider tires (205 series) and after adding the bits (TOMS is one vendor), the car is steady with no buffeting in cross winds. Before the mods, in a good wind, the car would change lanes. I think you would do better with suspension braces and wider tires than lowered car in an autocross. If a rear sway bar was available, that would help as well.

Last edited by anE934fun; 01-06-2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: See Edit:
Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
What is dealership price on the battery pack replacement? A friend who is a service manager at a Toyota dealership mentioned that the replacement cost for a hybrid battery pack runs just under $5,000.

IMO playing games with replacing individual cells is venturing into voodoo land. Also can be hazardous to your health if you don't know exactly what you are doing. Toyota techs don't venture there; they just replace the old with new.

Edit: If memory serves, the TRD suspension consists of lowering springs and maybe shocks. Cross-wind problems are due to body roll when the wind hits the wide surface area of the side of the Prius. I suspect there is more side surface area to the Prius than the E90.... Anyhows, I have personal experience with curing cross-wind problems - a friend was complaining about the cross-wind problem with their 2nd Gen Prius. I suggested the suspension braces and wider tires (205 series) and after adding the bits (TOMS is one vendor), the car is steady with no buffeting in cross winds. Before the mods, in a good wind, the car would change lanes. I think you would do better with suspension braces and wider tires than lowered car in an autocross. If a rear sway bar was available, that would help as well.

Your buddy was taken to the cleaners, he is a perfect candidate for used BMW ownership with dealership maintenance

A quick search shows was one owner quoted $3,400 for main dealer replacement. By ~150K miles even at $3,400 the battery has long been paid for. My commute mpg in the E93 is 14->18 mpg; it's 36->41 in the Prius, it get ~48->58 in regular use.

This is a DIY which forum members say takes about four hours:
http://www.priusrebuilders.com/how_t...hybrid_battery

Swapping cells means ~$400->800 when paying someone else to do it. A BMW dealer charges $480 to change a basic 12V battery Plenty have swapped cells, it's not vodoo but of course a main dealer is not going to mess around; they want a high profit total swap which requires almost zero skill from mechanics.

Cross winds are likely mainly due to aerodynamics but your suggestions should make it less likely to move. Its not that bad, way better than panel vans I've driven (Father had a grocery store in the UK so I drove them pretty often). Car and Driver says "It tracks better and is less susceptible to crosswinds than the Insight".

This summer I aim to do a cross country trip in the Prius towing a popup camper (~1,100 lbs); they are versatile cars. One guy uses his to ship motorcycles around the country and makes far more profit than his competitors thanks to his fuel savings. http://jalopnik.com/5905722/meet-the...s-with-a-prius

Last edited by MP3_E46; 01-06-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Prius will be cheap to run and for maint until the battery/electronics are off warranty, eventually the batteries will be done and the car is worthless at that point, but that is 10 years away.

BMW's are notorious for things going wrong in the 100-130k range, you will be looking at struts, shocks, suspension bushings, water pump, radiator at minimum. Depending on current upkeep, brakes are likely and then typical Vanos, plug coil and other electronic issues are normal, the BMW will be much more to run over time than the Prius for many reasons.

That being said, the Prius is probably the most unfulfilling driving car on earth - it is a toaster with wheels and less power - everything about the car is boring and dull, the entire world hates you being in their way and because of all that you will turn into the kind of person that would buy a prius, eventually you will just move back in with your parents and live in their basement hoping that at some point it will all just end. With the BMW you will wakeup every day and be excited to drive your car, your car will probably have some issues and need towed to the mechanic sometimes, you will be excited waiting to get it back so you can drive it some more!

It all depends on what it is worth to you to have a fun to drive interesting car - it does cost more.

From experience, I have an E93 and a Civic, the Civic was an LX, traded it for an SI (one of the more exciting Honda products) and i drive the Civic on rainy days and in the winter - it is a fun car compared to a Prius and every time I drive it, it just makes me miss my E93 even more - after winter is over, I can't wait to get back in the BMW and drive it again. BMW is a driving experience, the Prius is an appliance to move people between 2 points!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:24 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Prius will be cheap to run and for maint until the battery/electronics are off warranty, eventually the batteries will be done and the car is worthless at that point, but that is 10 years away.

That being said, the Prius is probably the most unfulfilling driving car on earth - it is a toaster with wheels and less power - everything about the car is boring and dull, the entire world hates you being in their way and because of all that you will turn into the kind of person that would buy a prius...
First point is a myth. Many previous generation Prius owners have over 200K on their cars with few or no repairs (BMW owners who have that kind of mileage have virtually all spent more on repairs than their car is worth or got handy with DIY). When the Prius battery finally goes the option is to have a few bad cells swapped out (low cost) or buy a new OEM battery pack for ~$2200. By the time the current generation needs a new battery pack there will lots of aftermarket options as the Prius is a far more popular car now.

As an owner of a Prius and a ton of sports car now and in my past I can assure everyone it's far from un-fulfilling. It's always a giggle 'racing' crazy owners in BMWs etc. Not long ago one owner literally left the road trying to keep up with my Prius - he/she kicked dust everywhere. The bozo was tailgating me so I floored it around the next curve; they stayed on my bumper for a while

BMW cannot hold a candle to Toyota's quality/engineering/ reliability testing. Are you sure you can drop $6K for annual maintenance + want a car that runs rough/ won't even start in the morning? Take a look at this forum and you'll fine many owners complaining + many spending $4K+ on repairs but still having the original issue.

It's funny how many comments you get on forums from people that have never even driven the car. Currently I own a Prius and have the E93 is my seventh BMW - have learned to make the BMW a 3rd car as their reliability is terrible. Not sure I'd trust one for a long distance trip these days unless I had to time to risk being a breakdown. 325i is probably the most reliable BMW from that time but that's not saying too much. We had one of the first ones on the road in 2006 (Euro Delivery) and it was ok.. din't break down but had a few niggles from brand new.

If there was a hardtop Prius convertible my E93 would be gone tomorrow.

Last edited by MP3_E46; 01-05-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:

BMW's are notorious for things going wrong in the 100-130k range, you will be looking at struts, shocks, suspension bushings, water pump, radiator at minimum. Depending on current upkeep, brakes are likely and then typical Vanos, plug coil and other electronic issues are normal, the BMW will be much more to run over time than the Prius for many reasons.

That being said, the Prius is probably the most unfulfilling driving car on earth - it is a toaster with wheels and less power - everything about the car is boring and dull, the entire world hates you being in their way and because of all that you will turn into the kind of person that would buy a prius, eventually you will just move back in with your parents and live in their basement hoping that at some point it will all just end. With the BMW you will wakeup every day and be excited to drive your car, your car will probably have some issues and need towed to the mechanic sometimes, you will be excited waiting to get it back so you can drive it some more!

It all depends on what it is worth to you to have a fun to drive interesting car - it does cost more.

From experience, I have an E93 and a Civic, the Civic was an LX, traded it for an SI (one of the more exciting Honda products) and i drive the Civic on rainy days and in the winter - it is a fun car compared to a Prius and every time I drive it, it just makes me miss my E93 even more - after winter is over, I can't wait to get back in the BMW and drive it again. BMW is a driving experience, the Prius is an appliance to move people between 2 points!
In CA (and I think the same applies for states that have adopted the CA emissions model) cars certified as AT-PZEV come with a 10 year/150K mile warranty on the AT-PZEV components. The hybrid drive (which includes the battery) is covered under the AT-PZEV warranty. If the Prius the OP is considering was first delivered in CA, the AT-PZEV warranty applies. The AT-PZEV warranty is a big thing, since replacing the hybrid drive battery is on the order of $5,000.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: Citroen DS-21
Quote:
everything about the car is boring and dull, the entire world hates you being in their way and because of all that you will turn into the kind of person that would buy a prius, eventually you will just move back in with your parents and live in their basement hoping that at some point it will all just end.
Awesome prose.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbmw View Post

My parents say I should get the prius, and in all honestly I wouldn't mind driving the prius. It is newer and the thought of saving the environment and gas would make me happy too.
"None of the above".

The planet's environment won't care what you drive. Have you noticed what's going on in China? Driving a Prius to save the planet is like trying to stop superstorm Sandy with a roll of paper towels. It won't make any difference.

Low operating costs for used Prius do make sense for a taxi cab company, that's why taxi cab companies are gravitating away from used Crown Victorias and to the used Toyota Prius. (The new Prius buyer has already taken the big depreciation hit.)

Quote:

The BMW (base) that is $12k-14k my monthly payments would be about $160-$220 (down about $4k). The insurance from a cheap company about the same $712 a year full coverage.
1. If you can afford to pay $4000 for a car, buy a $4000 car! With a $4000 budget, look for a used Toyota Corolla, Toyota Camry, Honda Civic or Honda Accord. Don't buy it from a car dealer, look to friends, family or neighbors.

2. If you really are a motor head and don't like recommendation #1, consider a used E30, E36 or (at a stretch) E46 and a good set of metric tools. Again, if you're on a budget look to friends, family or neighbors to find a BMW that's not going to be a nightmare.

BMWs are very maintenance intensive. It's preferable to find a job that pays $100k+ or learn to work on the car yourself. (Or both.)

I'm past the BMW "free maintenance" period, I just did the annual service on my car, and the parts (oil, filters, wiper blades) cost $180.50. With the BMWCCA, etc. discounts.

I've never had a car loan, and neither has my wife. My $0.02 ($0.05 with inflation.)
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when you pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 01-05-2013, 08:17 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
"None of the above".

The planet's environment won't care what you drive. Have you noticed what's going on in China? Driving a Prius to save the planet is like trying to stop superstorm Sandy with a roll of paper towels. It won't make any difference.
This. Not to mention the global impact of actually creating and destroying a hybrid vehicle is far worse than a petrol engine. Rare earth elements are the world's new "blood diamonds".

As a side note, the OP is comparing one of the world most un-sexy, ugly vehicles ever made to a BMW. I'm thinking a crack pipe was next to the keyboard.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 01-05-2013, 03:16 PM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
1. If you can afford to pay $4000 for a car, buy a $4000 car! With a $4000 budget, look for a used Toyota Corolla, Toyota Camry, Honda Civic or Honda Accord. Don't buy it from a car dealer, look to friends, family or neighbors.

2. If you really are a motor head and don't like recommendation #1, consider a used E30, E36 or (at a stretch) E46 and a good set of metric tools. Again, if you're on a budget look to friends, family or neighbors to find a BMW that's not going to be a nightmare.

BMWs are very maintenance intensive. It's preferable to find a job that pays $100k+ or learn to work on the car yourself. (Or both.)

I'm past the BMW "free maintenance" period, I just did the annual service on my car, and the parts (oil, filters, wiper blades) cost $180.50. With the BMWCCA, etc. discounts.

I've never had a car loan, and neither has my wife. My $0.02 ($0.05 with inflation.)
Some good advice here. For #1 skip anything from Toyota (unless it is something like a RWD/AWD Celica or mid-engined MR2) IF you want something with a bit of personality. Among compacts, the Civic used to be the best back in the day (not so anymore)
Old 01-05-2013, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Funny how opinions of cars differ. I drove a Prius (the slightly older generation) as a rental for a weekend and then drove a friend's for a weekend when my previous car was in the shop. I was both surprised and disappointed. Surprised at how well it accelerated (but it's no diesel!), disappointed in overall handling, ergonomics and general driving dynamics. As others have said, basically a toaster on wheels. I found I could not live with one as my daily driver.

For dense urban living, hybrids are great, particularly plug-in ones, as they move the source of the pollution away from the dense urban center and significantly reduce smog impacts. I do not think they "save the planet" overall though; you'd be better off with a very high fuel economy gas or diesel powered car if that is your intent. They have a much lower cradle-to-grave overall impact.

Last edited by Pasa-d; 01-05-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasa-d View Post
Funny how opinions of cars differ. I drove a Prius (the slightly older generation) as a rental for a weekend and then drove a friend's for a weekend when my previous car was in the shop. I was both surprised and disappointed. Surprised at how well it accelerated (but it's no diesel!), disappointed in overall handling, ergonomics and general driving dynamics. As others have said, basically a toaster on wheels. I found I could not live with one as my daily driver.

For dense urban living, hybrids are great, particularly plug-in ones, as they move the source of the pollution away from the dense urban center and significantly reduce smog impacts. I do not think they "save the planet" overall though; you'd be better off with a very high fuel economy gas or diesel powered car if that is your intent. They have a much lower cradle-to-grave overall impact.
The more I research the plug-in cars, the less impressed I am with them. The greatest down-side is the battery pack (number of discharge-recharge cycles for a lithium battery pack is around 750 - 1,000). Unless the manufacturer is giving a 100,000 mile warranty on the battery pack, the owner is going to be eating a big chunk of expense around the 80K to 90K mile point. If economy is the deciding criteria, I would go with a non-plug-in hybrid, especially if city driving is going to be a significant factor. Highway, I would stick with my d.

As regards the relative clean-ness of the battery manufacturing process, the issue has been debated ad nauseam over on priuschat.com.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
The more I research the plug-in cars, the less impressed I am with them. The greatest down-side is the battery pack (number of discharge-recharge cycles for a lithium battery pack is around 750 - 1,000). Unless the manufacturer is giving a 100,000 mile warranty on the battery pack, the owner is going to be eating a big chunk of expense around the 80K to 90K mile point. If economy is the deciding criteria, I would go with a non-plug-in hybrid, especially if city driving is going to be a significant factor. Highway, I would stick with my d.

As regards the relative clean-ness of the battery manufacturing process, the issue has been debated ad nauseam over on priuschat.com.
I guess I'm always thinking in terms of leasing, not ownership. An associate at my office turned in his BMW lease and got a Volt. We have charging stations at our office. In several months of commuting he's purchased gas exactly once. No matter how you look at it, that's pretty cool. When his lease is up the battery becomes someone else's problem. Plus he gets to use the HOV and toll lanes!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
Without knowing your exact situation or your ability to fix stuff when it breaks in the car, I'm going to say check out the 2013 accord. Brand new car, more fun than prius, years of worry free operation.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ew?redirect=no

E90s are not as diy as the e46. I would look at one of those, but make sure to have the cooling system and the rear sub frame checked. As mentioned above, once you get passed 100k, suspension parts start to show their wear - this is with any car, just not bmw. Keep that I mind if you are looking at cars that old.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
Without knowing your exact situation or your ability to fix stuff when it breaks in the car, I'm going to say check out the 2013 accord. Brand new car, more fun than prius, years of worry free operation.
+1. Or a 2103 Camry or Altima. Then you can plan for a new BMW as your 2nd or 3rd car a few years down the road.

Tom
Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Neither.

New Honda Fit; $20k OTD, 37 mpg, warranty, fun to drive.

PS I've driven a Prius; it is not dissimilar to operating a washing machine. You put people in, they arrive at their destination. End of story. It had zero 'driving enjoyment'; no grip, resolute understeer, and no power. Also, I hate it when the buggers creep up on you in an Ikea parking garage on battery. Have been almost run over several times here in Atlanta by the things.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 01-05-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
I was initially going to suggest a new Accord (or Fit), too ...

BUT under 25 insurance for a new car will probably be fairly expensive. Plus -- why be a wage slave to a bank or finance company? Happiness is too important to have career decisions made by a payment book.

We also have an older Corolla that we keep around for house guests and when my daughter trains down from NYC in the summer. It is by far the most reliable car we have. The Toyota Corolla is the most popular automobile model in the History of Mankind *. There are reasons for that.

Is it a lot of fun to drive? Compared to, say, a Porsche? No. But it beats walking and it's a lot more fun to drive than it is fun to fix a rusty old German car.

* Over 39 million Corollas have been sold worldwide as of 2012.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when you pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Also, I hate it when the buggers creep up on you in an Ikea parking garage on battery. Have been almost run over several times here in Atlanta by the things.
That might be us. If it had a trailer it almost definitely was us.

Great car especially with the trailer/ hitch mounted bike rack. Not bad storage space thanks to the hatchback; a much better buy for a young outdoorsy person.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prius at Ikea.jpg
Views:	1142
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	356054  

Last edited by MP3_E46; 01-05-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
That might be us. If it had a trailer it almost definitely was us.

Great car especially with the trailer/ hitch mounted bike rack. Not bad storage space thanks to the hatchback; a much better buy for a young outdoorsy person.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 PM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Neither.

New Honda Fit; $20k OTD, 37 mpg, warranty, fun to drive.
I'm thinking along the same lines...a new Honda Fit, Hyundai Elantra, Mini Cooper, Mazda3, Impreza, or Focus rather than a used Prius...even among hybrids the Honda Insight and Civic have lower resale values so could be better buys as used cars.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
the BMW is fun to drive

But its not particularly fuel efficient in town an on short drives.
thing 16 to 18 mpgs in town.
Its not that expensive to maintain but if something breaks parts are
expensive.
I'm hoping my next car will be all electric or will do at least 40 miles
without gas .
I agree with Majikthese42 don't buy it if you can't afford don't get in the
habit of making payments and living beyond your means.
Credit is the Enemy you want other people to pay you interest if you
are in the credit game.

Last edited by ctuna; 01-05-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
I know interesting title. Should this even be a comparison?

A 2010 toyota prius about 40-50k miles for about $20k-$22k CPO.

A 2006 BMW 325i sedan about 100k-110K miles for about $13k-$14k. NON-CPO private seller.

My parents say I should get the prius, and in all honestly I wouldn't mind driving the prius. It is newer and the thought of saving the environment and gas would make me happy too. BUT, I would much rather have the 2006 bmw over the 2010 prius. I have two side when it come to driving, save gas and the environment or drive in a car with the ability to pass traffic and merge into traffic easily type of driving.

You will be stunned by the true power available in a Toyota Prius! With maximum torque delivered from a standing start to its top speed, Prius is the vehicle to have.

BMW's are frought with issues. Just scroll through any BMW forum, and you will be dunned with problem after problem, from difficult dealers to unsolvable and egregious malfunctions in addition to the many, many, many issues that can be resolved. They don't remind us that you gotta have money to own a BMW fer nuthin'!!

Japanese reliability is legendary. BMW's are like being wedded to a wife with anger issues. Just try to find a Prius owner who is not very proud.

No. There is no comparison. Your choice should be crystal clear - enjoy your new hybrid, and the adoration of all who see you have one!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 01-05-2013 at 08:50 AM.