Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
Weak or No Start...battery test shows battery is fine

I have been having issues for the past couple days with my car not starting. At times it would start, but it would be a very hesitant and weak start. At other times it won't start at all. When I hook the jump box up to it, it starts up after a minute or two. I took the battery to have it tested and it came back the battery is fine. What could be causing this??? From what I understand, it can't be the alternator. I know there was a recall on some kind of cable to the battery. I have an appointment to have this fixed this weekend, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with it...
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
That sounds 100% like a battery on the way out. Do you know how old the battery is?

Was it load tested? If yes I would get a second opinion.

If you hook up a charger for a few minutes, it partially charges the battery giving it enough juice to start the car. Most jumper cables are not thick enough to jump a car right after hooking up, they need to stay connected for a few minutes to charge up the dead battery.

If the battery is good the only other things I can think of are:
1) something is putting a constant drain on the battery even when the car is off for more than 45 minutes. This would drain down the battery to the point where the car will not start.
2) your battery cable is not properly connected (loose or corrosion) so it passes some electricity but not enough to start the car. The connection problem can be at the battery or the other end of the cable.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 01-08-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: typo - repeated word
Old 01-08-2013, 12:09 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shan904 View Post
I have been having issues for the past couple days with my car not starting. At times it would start, but it would be a very hesitant and weak start. At other times it won't start at all. When I hook the jump box up to it, it starts up after a minute or two. I took the battery to have it tested and it came back the battery is fine. What could be causing this??? From what I understand, it can't be the alternator. I know there was a recall on some kind of cable to the battery. I have an appointment to have this fixed this weekend, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with it...
There is a battery cable recall. I just had mine done before I bought my car from the seller during a BMW PPI.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 AM

I called the dealership to confirm the battery wasn't still under warranty. They said it expired the 36th week of 2010 which makes the battery about 2.5 years old. He said the life of a battery here in FL is about 3 years. I'm thinking the battery is dying as well and I don't think the people at Advanced Auto Parts knew what they were doing when they tested the battery. All she did was hooked a machine up to the battery while the car was off and said ok it's fine. I can't get it in to the mechanic till tuesday of next week because he is all booked up. Again, I go this Saturday to get that recall on the battery cable taken care of so fingers crossed that fixes it, but I don't see where there's any corrosion or loose connections to the battery or anything. I'm also not sure about there being any kind of constant drain on the battery. I did read on here that if you leave your car unlocked overnight, this can drain the battery. And since I park my car in the garage I never lock it. I don't know how true that is though.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
I did read on here that if you leave your car unlocked overnight, this can drain the battery. And since I park my car in the garage I never lock it. I don't know how true that is though.
You can leave it unlocked, but take the key out of the car. If the key stays in the car may not go completely off as it will read the key.

I think the battery test was not accurate so I would ignore that and have a proper mechanic test it. It does sound like that's the issue.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 PM

I took my car in Saturday to the dealership to have the recall done on the battery cap/cable issue. They tested my battery and said I had a bad cell and needed to replace the battery. Makes sense with what's going on although I still don't understand why twice when I tested the battery it read it was good as did the alternator. Anywho...he quoted me a price of 450 to install the battery and program it to the car. I told him no thank you, I have an appointment with a local Indy mech to get it checked out Tuesday morning (battery replacement and install $250-300)....he then seriously tried to tell me there was no way this Indy mech could properly program the battery to my car because he doesn't have the correct machinery/software or whatever to do so. He said they have 4 $85,000 machines in there shop ( said the name of the machine was otis or itis) to do the necessary programming and he guarantees an Indy mech doesn't have these or whatever is necessary. Sounds like a load of bs to me...right??? I also asked him about my brake light being on. When I installed my brake pads I put akebono ceramics on it and the sensor didn't seem to fit very snug. When I reset the service interval I got an error that the service was -9000 past due for the front and -15000 for the rear or vice versa. He said this is because the sensors don't fit aftermarket brakes...also sounds like bs and they can't be bypassed (contrary to what I've read on the net) for safety reasons. He said you can only go with the OEM brake pads or you will have to deal with the brake light, there's no way around it. Also said the aftermarket brakes will end up burning up my rotors. Sorry for the extremely long post, just need some feedback here on these issues. Thanks!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
The register part is complete BS, there are many individuals who register themselves by buying the cable and going through the lengthy learning curve on coding the car.

Many people have put other pads on their cars, that is a load of crap also. Good job not caving in and sticking with your decision to go to the indie.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Quote:
Hi! Sorry to hear about your battery issues.. Exact same thing happened to me! I end up taking it to the dealership and they quoted me 550$ plus tax to put in a new battery and to reprogram it. As well as a $120 fee to check out the car..

I said no and purchased a battery from interstate. Cost was $280, I switched out the old battery and put in the new one and havn't had any issues with it so far.. I called a local indepedent BMW shop and they said I didnt need to reprogram it, so far everything is working well
Old 01-15-2013, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Most aftermarket battery warranties are for 6 years, & most auto parts store's, don't know they need to be registered!. BMW battery gets 2 years on a warranty. If a BMW battery fails inside of 2 years, they demand more of your hard earned money. It surely can't be their fault that the battery failed prematurely.

It is best to register the battery, just to be on the safe side?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:13 AM

The dealer sees a young female waliking in and they automatically assume that I have no idea what time it is. Thank goodness for you guys on the board! You should have seen the look on the SA's face when I told him I didn't want to purchase the battery there, I mean they had to jump start my car just to get me out of there! It was comical!