Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-07-2013, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: your mom
Moving North, Need Advice

Hey all,

Long time lurker here. I finally broke down any bought a 2013 x3 3.5 the day after Christmas. Loving the car, hating the start/stop feature and after a few searches, will be getting that "feature" reprogrammed.

I'm going through a divorce now and looking at moving into Canada, but dealers seem to be very, very far from where I may end up (500km+). Does anyone know what options I might have for getting the vehicle serviced under warranty if I move into a location where there are literally no dealers?

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
You need to look up member c3uo, who is in Canada and very far from a dealer. Use the Search function here, look for posts by c3uo, and you'll gain some insight.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: Audi
Where are you moving? I've lived in Northern Alberta and New Brunswick. No local dealer does suck. Most towns have a local shop for general maintenance and you end up doing some things yourself. I prefer German, but if you are completely non-DIY it's not ideal. My old 3-seies was flat bedded 400 km three times to the dealership in it's first year. Luckily, the next three years were completely trouble free. They will flat bed the car to the dealer under warranty if it dies, and maintenance is required rarely so that should cover you. You unfortunately learn to live with little niggles or fix them yourself (for example, leaking headlight washers or rattles).

Where are you thinking about moving?

Generally, BMW's are rarer in small towns (but obviously they are very common in Vancover, Calgary, Tronto and Montreal).
Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: your mom
I'm looking at Thunder Bay. I have friends in Kapuskasing who want me to move up there... but ... it's pretty damn isolated.

I don't mind finding German shoppes, but if the car is under warranty and has four years of "everything" covered, it may be worth the trek to Toronto/Ottawa.

IT would be great if there were dealers in Northern Ontario, but I can understand why there are none.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Well warranty wise, its difficult as the official position for BMW USA is that any vehicles sold here will only have warranties if the consumer lives in the USA. however if you are currently emigrating permanently to Canada, I guess your warranty is voided. The only work around to this would be to see if BMW Canada would be ok if say, a US resident were to drive up north on vacation, experience a failure that requires warranty work, would BMW Canada make an exception since their on a holiday. I would search for this type of question to see how that goes.

However your only resolution is to

a) Figure out a competent indie
b) Hope nothing breaks in the vehicle that would require say a visit to dealership (I.e module malfunction).

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
You might want to check out these guys http://www.narvistruckandautoservice...r.asp?make=BMW...

Last edited by lbjgh; 01-07-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: x3
Welcome to Canada! A possible idea is to contact the Toll Free BMW Help Desk for possible warranty approved shops for this type of problem. BMW already provides unlimited servicing regardless of distance. So just leave the car at home an they will move the vehicle to the nearest locale for service or repair.

However, moving the vehicle to Canada might be an issue. Some mfg. include North American warranty, but a neighbour owned an Acura MDX moved from NJ and the Transmission was not covered since he is now a permanent resident.

Call the help desk regardless and they might allow you to purchase a CDN warranty to be sure.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Wow - talk about a rock and a hard place. I suppose there is no chance of getting the dealer to take the car back? If you have a brand new BMW way up there with no dealer support and a problematic warranty (will they or will they not cover it) it might be challengine to say the least. Good luck and be sure to check that warranty -- the brand new cars usually have some initial teething problems that need to be sorted out -- then they run fine (or at least that has been my experience).
Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
haha, thunder bay is the home of the sleeping giant... a big rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Wow - talk about a rock and a hard place. I suppose there is no chance of getting the dealer to take the car back? If you have a brand new BMW way up there with no dealer support and a problematic warranty (will they or will they not cover it) it might be challengine to say the least. Good luck and be sure to check that warranty -- the brand new cars usually have some initial teething problems that need to be sorted out -- then they run fine (or at least that has been my experience).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	356703