Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 740 IL
Exclamation Security Code on 1998 740 iL E38

I have owned my 1998 740 IL for a couple years now. This site has helped me with many things and the car is flawlwss, except, I just got back from holidays, had the car secured in the garage, I set the SECURITY CODE on the Onboard Computer before I left.
Today I got in the car, and with family comption happening i punced the 4 digit CODE in, the car did not start, I quickly retentered it couple more times, douting myself, the alarm goes off....
I stopped, all my battery power is good, radio, key alarm working. Just read after 3 tries is disabels itself. Advice to all pay attention when You set an unlock CODE. I have done this 100 times. no problem, left the car at airport etc... Called my local dealer, they said to tow it in, however before that leave the key in ignition for 30 min.... Did that, nothing...

I am patiently wait untill tomorrow, I always used the same 4 digit code, maybee in this Holiday rush I might have put a # off by 1 digit....well hopefully tomorrow I get 3 tries without the Family running around with X-mass stuff....

Hope tomorrow I will figure it out, neighbour said disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and later try my CODE that hopefully is correct or 0000 Code....He owned a couple BMW's 5 and 3 Series, not 7

Any suggestions? Love my 7 BMW locked it out,,,, FYI all my alarm keys, power, etc works. I even charged up the battery after all this to make sure....

Any Ideas or suggestions......

Sincerely Mike S.
mikesiedliski@gmail.com
Ads by Google
Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 PM

Thank You all for any suggestions, hopefully I can set the right code without any Batt disconnecting etc. Happy New Year to all! Hope to taka My BMW for a spin soon
Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
hopefully I can set the right code without any Batt disconnecting etc
Sorry...but that's not possible...to overide the OBC's "coded" lock-out requires a "specific" amount of time that MUST be followed to the "T". Just think about it...an anti-theft override that can be disabled willy-nilly...is not much of an anti-theft device.

Depending on which set-up you have (MID or Nav)...the manual for that component has the procedure for emergency overide when the owner has forgotton the code.

Though it is something written/documented, for the sake of not having a very good anti-theft procedure easily found out by unscrupulous thieves/thugs/etc doing a google search...I won't post the instructions. But again, if you have the supplemental manuals for the MID or the NAV...you can find the instructions there. If you don't have the manuals for the Business MID or the NAV manual....you can find them in downloadable PDF form at www.e38.org ...just scroll down to the bottom of the left column.

Good luck and again, follow the procedures exactly as they are spelled out.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 01-10-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 PM

Thank You All :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Sorry...but that's not possible...to overide the OBC's "coded" lock-out requires a "specific" amount of time that MUST be followed to the "T". Just think about it...an anti-theft override that can be disabled willy-nilly...is not much of an anti-theft device.

Depending on which set-up you have (MID or Nav)...the manual for that component has the procedure for emergency overide when the owner has forgotton the code.

Though it is something written/documented, for the sake of not having a very good anti-theft procedure easily found out by unscrupulous thieves/thugs/etc doing a google search...I won't post the instructions. But again, if you have the supplemental manuals for the MID or the NAV...you can find the instructions there. If you don't have the manuals for the Business MID or the NAV manual....you can find them in downloadable PDF form at www.e38.org ...just scroll down to the bottom of the left column.

Good luck and again, follow the procedures exactly as they are spelled out.
I was able to start the CAR On the third try i trided my CODE# with one digit off. I was lucky. Going to be VERY CAREFULL using this security system....
Thank You for your help, I Love this web site.

Sincerely,

Mike S