Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-10-2013, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Xdrive
Having problems with our CPO E90

My wife and I bought a CPO E90 in September. Since owning it we have had various problems with it. First problem was that one of the self leveling zenon headlight's had to be replaced. The headlight would come on but wouldn't self level. This happened a week after we bought it and the dealer replaced the whole unit under warranty. In October we went to South Carolina and on they way there a warning light came on every time we used our left turn signal. I took it to BMW in Columbia and they found that the driver's side led taillight was defective. They replaced the whole unit under warranty. At the end of November my wife called me in a panic because, after filling up with fuel, the car wouldn't start. It finally started and I took it in to BMW. They couldn't replicate the problem. December, the same long cranking issue happened again. This time the check engine soon light came on. Took it back to dealership and they said it had something to do with a software update. They did the update and said it was fine. Today, wife calls, same long cranking issue after filling up with fuel. I am convinced it has to be the fuel pump.
My question is how many problems do we need to have before we should think about getting rid of this car? Never looked in to lemon law, any advice? We love the car but don't trust it to take it on long trips with the problems we have had. We are going to Florida at the end of the month and don't want to spend time at a BMW dealership on the way or once we get there. FRUSTRATED!
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriver View Post
My wife and I bought a CPO E90 in September. Since owning it we have had various problems with it. First problem was that one of the self leveling zenon headlight's had to be replaced. The headlight would come on but wouldn't self level. This happened a week after we bought it and the dealer replaced the whole unit under warranty. In October we went to South Carolina and on they way there a warning light came on every time we used our left turn signal. I took it to BMW in Columbia and they found that the driver's side led taillight was defective. They replaced the whole unit under warranty. At the end of November my wife called me in a panic because, after filling up with fuel, the car wouldn't start. It finally started and I took it in to BMW. They couldn't replicate the problem. December, the same long cranking issue happened again. This time the check engine soon light came on. Took it back to dealership and they said it had something to do with a software update. They did the update and said it was fine. Today, wife calls, same long cranking issue after filling up with fuel. I am convinced it has to be the fuel pump.
My question is how many problems do we need to have before we should think about getting rid of this car? Never looked in to lemon law, any advice? We love the car but don't trust it to take it on long trips with the problems we have had. We are going to Florida at the end of the month and don't want to spend time at a BMW dealership on the way or once we get there. FRUSTRATED!
Your lucky your car was a CPO. I know its a pain right now but it will settle down. All these things are being replaced for $50 a pop and without it you be looking at 1,000 at a time.

I know it sucks keep going back but I promise it will be worth it.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Don't really have an answer to your question about parting with the car, but regarding the lemon question - lemon laws only apply to original owners of new cars.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 01-12-2013, 09:50 PM

Ok, i have an appointment with the dealership this Thursday. I will update after they look at it again. If I were to guess, i would say it is a fuel pump issue.......could be wrong though.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:51 AM

Mein Auto: 08 E90 335i
If those repairs were not covered by CPO which you're lucky they were, You'd be out 2-3k. The long crank could be the fuel pump though.
"The money powers prey upon the nation in times of peace and conspire against it in times of adversity. The banking powers are more despotic than a monarchy, more insolent than autocracy, more selfish than bureaucracy. They denounce as public enemies all who question their methods or throw light upon their crimes. I have two great enemies, the Southern Army in front of me and the bankers in the rear. Of the two, the one at my rear is my greatest foe."
Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-18-2013, 04:47 AM

Update
Dealership says it is not the fuel pump. After doing testing it was determined that the fuel tank purge valve was defective and not closing all the way. Replaced with a new one, I hope they fixed it. We are driving to Florida later this month and I'm a little worried about taking this car. If I don't have anymore problems between now and then, I will assume they found the problem and we are good to go..........
Old 01-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
hopefully you dont have run flat tires if you do you dont have a spare tire. In November I picked up a used 2007 225I hard top convertible and so far the few issues I have had were covered by car max, I have not had the issues the others have had

good luck

Hondo
Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
The issue with the self-leveling xenon is pretty common. So is the tail-light issue (the newer ones apparently seal better, as the issue is caused by water shorting out the LED cluster). In short, they are just issues that can come up and are well documented/researched before purchase. Almost every car has some nagging little issues like that. That being said, I do not think both items would have cost $2,000 - $3,000 to fix, but I honestly don't know.

The cranking issue sounds like fuel delivery to me and possibly the fuel pump. Depending on mileage, not completely impossible. On my previous car (Ford) the fuel pump went at around 75k miles. I was saddened but not in shock. That being said, the dealer should be able to diagnose the pump if you ask them to, no?

Good luck and I hope the car becomes a bit less of a trouble for you soon!

EDIT:

I was curious and checked RealOEM. A headlight runs around $500 for HID, $1,000 for Bi-xenon, $1,200 for adaptive. Yowzers, that is steep. Plus another hour to install, I am sure. Rear light is $175 best I can tell. So about $1,500 I suppose, but not $3,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY

Last edited by cwinter; 01-18-2013 at 02:13 PM.