Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 650i Convertible
Heater won't work - I think

When I set my controls to heat either by idrive or by defrost all I get is cold air at first it's a little warm then just blows cold. When I put it to manual mode the center front fresh air duct on passenger side has warm to hot air sometimes. It's weird I put my hands on the outlet of the secondary pump and it has pressure and is hot.
Same with the heater core metering valve. Anyone have ideas it's freezing outside!!!! Burrrrrr!
Old 01-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Given that these cars do not have water temperature gauges only oil temp gauge then it is difficult to discern if it is the water thermostat at fault, as if the car cannot get up to temp then the heater will not work anyway, perhaps this may be the issue, or if memory serves there is a stat on the heater matrix????

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 01-12-2013, 05:41 PM

I feel the hoses and they are on both ends which means there is good heat.
Also I think the water for the heater comes from a different leg on the radiator and goes to another water pump ( not the main) then to a valve control unit then to the core. The hoses are all burning hot before and after so I know the water is good.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Have you checked the iDrive climate settings? There is a setting that can turn the heat almost completely off.

Check out this post for instructions.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 01-13-2013, 12:56 AM

Hi yorgi I think you are talking about the blue and red torso settings if so I tried that makes no difference what it's set to it still blows cold or sometimes warm on right center and cold on driver side. When you push defrost it should go automatically to heat and it doesn't . I'm so confused about where to start.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:01 AM
Marine

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
I am not sure if this vehicle is the same as one I had before. I had an issue exactly the same as this with a previous vehicle. It turned out to be the Blend door motor which turns the valve for the vents from hot to cold. Since you are getting very minimal heat in certain areas I believe the valve is stuck shut.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:56 AM
Michael

Hi! you are correct there is an aux water pump for the heater, had a quick look at the TIS . I reckon following your checking the main hoses for heat you need to check this aux pump is passing water through ie inlet outlet at least then you know heat is getting to the heater matrix/core. I think looking at the TIS will give you some good ideas to fault find???

Old 01-15-2013, 10:55 PM

Ok so today I really checked things out and I couldn't find anything. But then I moved the car and found a puddle underneath the transmission pan. It was coolant, I couldn't find a leak anywhere. I don't know if there is a drain incase the heater core/matrix starts leaking? I tried to see the core inlet hoses- for leaks- but I can only see one the other is really buried looks ok. The only thing I can think is the core is leaking and dripping on the ground, but even if the core is leaking wouldn't I still get some heat. The leak is not that bad. If it is the core has anyone change one out is it very hard I know the dash may need to come out but I'm not sure.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:06 AM

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
Are you sure that "leak" is not just water condensing on the air conditioning unit? These normally drip around the transmission area.
The heater core matrix is inside the cabin so normally if this leaks it is inside the car.
Have you checked the coolant level? With the car cold you can open the expansion tank cap and you'll see the "float" that indicates the coolant level. If it was low coolant though you would get a message in iDrive if it was significantly low.
There is a way to bring up the water coolant temperature in the instrument cluster, perhaps it's worth checking that too.
Here's a video of how to bring up the coolant temperature:

Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 AM

Hi Rebel the level of coolant needs topping off maybe every 2 weeks. It could be condensate water but I didn't run the AC, I will try again. Now that you mention it I don't remember seeing any color to the liquid. I know that if the core leaks its usually in the car on other cars but I was thinking this car might have a drain to the outside some how. I'm gonna try using a scope camera and scope it through the fresh air filter to see what I can see.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
It sounds like you have multiple problems? If you are losing coolant every 2 weeks, you have a leak. Check all of your hoses, & the bleed line for leaks. I would also closely inspect the expansion tank for cracks. One last item would be to inspect the weep hole on the front center part of the engine. If this is leaking, the coolant pipe is bad.

Find the heater core return hose, & disconnect it. Then check to see if the heater core return hose has water flow. If not starting looking at the heater control valve. The valve has flow for the driver & passenger heat. It would be hard to believe both sides of that valve have gone bad, but possible.

It really sounds like you have a blend door problem, that allows the heat into the main ventilation system. Google BMW blend door problems for more on that problem.

Good Luck!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:32 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
My car never be able to use the heater, probably only produce a little warm wind. I paid couple of visit to the dealer, still the same. California weather somehow make me just go with it and I almost forget about this issue. I'll go check the iDrive tmr morning to see what I can do with it.

BMW CCA ID: 473647
Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 PM

Herb I think you are right! I looked and found coolant residue on the bottom of one of the coolant lines. So I think I found the leak. But as for the heating I found that when I first turn on defrost and put my hand to the windshield really fast I can feel great heat then it goes to freezing cold. So looks like my heater is working but the doors are not landing on the heat side but pass over it to another duct. Is there a way to push like 2 buttons or something and reset the climate control settings to default?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:23 PM

I would run it by the dealer & ask for some assistance in checking the settings. Hopefully you will get someone to at least look at it for free, if not look for a forum member near you.

Good Luck!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
I would run it by the dealer & ask for some assistance in checking the settings. Hopefully you will get someone to at least look at it for free, if not look for a forum member near you.

Good Luck!
Herbp you said free .... I wish! My dealer charges a toll fee if I just drive by their lot..LOL
I took out my laser temp gun today and took temps of every hose. Seems as if they are all getting correct flow as all of them ranged from 120-180 degrees. I even opened up the filters to the cabin and checked inside (don't know if it was the core/matrix or the condenser) but it was 90 degrees so I think that is fine. As the car sits still the heater seems to work but when I drive the air gets cold like air somehow is getting into the cabin filters and in to the car. I checked the blend doors from the cabin filters I can see them opening and closing.
Now what ?????????
Old 01-31-2013, 02:34 AM
Michael

Have you checked the operation of the secondary pump?? this is the pump that pushes the water through the heater matrix, the heat you maybe measuring is radiant heat, it does not mean it is being pumped around the whole system, without this pump working as soon as the distribution fans switch it will cool the water quite quickly, hence the circulating pump!!! Just a thought as you seem to be exhausting most avenues in your search!!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 PM
Marine

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
You might need to do a little more research but this is what I was able to come up with just by glancing through a couple sights. I am sure my information is wrong about your year so double check that. I am sure that most of the 650s are the same in this area. I believe that the part that you are looking for is #22.

http://www.bmwpartsunlimited.com/par...gramCallOut=22
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicus View Post
You might need to do a little more research but this is what I was able to come up with just by glancing through a couple sights. I am sure my information is wrong about your year so double check that. I am sure that most of the 650s are the same in this area. I believe that the part that you are looking for is #22.

http://www.bmwpartsunlimited.com/par...gramCallOut=22
Thanks for the diagram Medicus I don't know if that actuator will be the one that would stop hot air from coming up when I hit defrost as well. Maybe it's the heater core temp sensor?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:57 AM

So I took the valve apart yesterday I left the unit attached and just removed the electronics.

Basically these are solenoid valves which use a coil when energized to suck the metal valve up or force it closed depending on the polarity.
Look at the last pic the one on the right or bottom since its not rotated. Observe the burn in the back center and how it is bubbled just slightly. The other one you can see the copper wires and it looks normal. This looks like a problem to me I'm gonna order a new one and see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359917344.882093.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	360578   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359917360.445555.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	360579   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359917378.453155.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	360580   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359917402.034195.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	360581   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359917432.959295.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	360582  

Old 02-03-2013, 02:19 PM

Looks like you found the culprit. Let me know where you find the best price. I am going to have to buy one, before summer!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:00 PM

Hey Herb I just ordered a used one from eBay guaranteed to work or I get my money back. It came off a wrecked BMW that had only 50k miles on it.
I'll take a chance for 55.00 plus free shipping.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:24 PM

That is not a bad price. Who did you buy it from?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Michael

That certainly looks like corroded terminals and hopefully is the cause, worth checking gaskets as it must have failed somehow, good diagnosis !!!! Well done!!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
That certainly looks like corroded terminals and hopefully is the cause, worth checking gaskets as it must have failed somehow, good diagnosis !!!! Well done!!
We will see after I install the new one. Hope it solves the problem.
I'll let you all know soon.......
Old 02-03-2013, 06:53 PM

I got it from eBay seller
Oem_parts_only

I can try and get you one if you need let me know. I saw a few just look up the part number.