Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 X5
2000 X5 Timing chain rattle

I gave a 2000 X5, with 147,000 miles on it. It recently started making a noise, that I thought sounded like the fan hitting something. I took it to my mechanic and he said that the noise was coming from the timing chain. He said it us 20 hours of labor to fix, plus parts. According to Kelly Blue Books, the car is only worth about $5,000. So, doing the timing chain would cost at least half that. Any advice in what to do with it.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2013, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 x5 4.4i
well here is my 2 cents .. i have a 2001 x5 4.4i . We have the exact same issue . Our mechanic said these are chains so they dont break easily . He installed a timing belt tensioner that took out some minor slack and also he upgraded our oil to the libro molly ( i think ) and the noise is minor from the chain ..
Old 03-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
It's not the chain that is the problem, it's the plastic chain guide that will break apart and cause the chain to flay around and that could leave to a jump chain which can leave to bent valves.

You can do nothing and hope that nothing else breaks (wishful thinking).

repair the engine (Big bucks and hope that nothing else break on a 13 years old BM Trouble U).

or sell it and let the new owner deal with it. (You'll get more for a running BMW versus a broken BMW).

Last edited by upallnight; 03-13-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 X5
2000 X5 timing chain rattle

I had the timing chain and plugs replaced. My mecanic said that the vanos on the passenger side is not working (probably seals needing to be replaced). He said it should run fine, without the vanos active. I got it back and it ran good for s few days, then wouldnt start . I checked the codss and it had p0011, p0171, p1341; p1355, p1357 and p1351.

I brought back to him, and he said the bolt on front of vanos came lose. He reset the timing, using the cam lock down kit. This time tightening the vanos bolts a lot tighter. The car ran good for a few more days than all the codes came back.

Should i try taking to BMW, somewhere else or try to sell as is? Assuming my mechanic cant fix.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
If you didn't have those codes before the repairs, then they must have done something wrong. Get them to fix it since it's their screw up.