Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 2.0 Individual
2000 z3 roaster 2.0 individual water leak

HI
My driver's seat is full of water. I also down on the carpet (very wet) and in front of my seat. I thought it had a slight leak between the gasket and the glass my hardtop but I just realized that I also water behind the passenger seat to the floor. I wonder if the water is not from the other. I thought of a water chute clogged
does anyone have an idea? I do not think all this water come seal because I Epense n that water spread to the back of the passenger seat because of the presence of the tunnel between the two sides.
thank you
Ads by Google
Old 01-15-2013, 07:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
It could be the A-pilar problem:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=254611

It could be the inner door seal:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=664050

It could be the top sealing frame (although that leaks into the trunk, not the passenger area:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=650299

It could be a mis-adjusted window:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=666872

I have experienced all of these.

By the way, there is a button at the top of the forum page, on the right, labled "Search this Forum". If you click that and type "Leak", you will find all of these threads and many more.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 AM

water leak Z3 2.0 2000

TAHNKS YOU
iI'm going to look at the A-pillar but I 'm surprised that if the problem comes from this , there is water under my seat (it is far from the A pillar)
I wonder if the problem come from the water evacuations holes that could be blocked
but I don't know where are these holes and hope we don't need to remove the capote
what do you think about?
bye
fred
Old 01-15-2013, 08:53 AM

My personal experience with wet carpet under a seat was from a leaking inner door seal. If you remove the inner door panel, there is a foam or plastic sheet held in place with butyl tape. That butyl seal fails and allows water to run behind the door panel and into the car. It is hard to see the leak because it is hidden by the inner door panel.

Others have found a leak from the heater vents under the windshield:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=459171

A simple pitcher of water or a hose is usually all you need to isolate leaks.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:07 AM

Water leak z3 2000

Thanks for your response
I made water test yesterday evening and the water comes from the join belonging to the hard top (close to the A-pillar). I 'm going to remove the hard top and replace it. Ther is the join on the top of the hard top too (why not it??)
Nevertheless I'm going to follow your advices. I think I 'm going to see behind the door panel to be sure there is noting there but I found nothing on the web and on this forum on "how to remove the door panel"
Could you help me one more time?
I 'm very worried about the status of my leather seats (completely wet) like a sponge...and the winter is not completed...
bye
fred
Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 AM

Look at the Z3 DIY thread, which is a sticky at the top of the forum. Go to Page 4. There is a door panel removal link there.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35961
Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 AM

thanks
I read it but I didn't see on the pic the butyle join which you talk about. I suppose it is behind the insulation at the bottom of the door, aren't you?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 AM

Once the door panel is removed, there is a sheet of foam covering the inside of the door (it's a sheet of plastic on older models; BMW calls the foam "sound deadener"). It is glued on with a strip of tar-like substance. That substance is butyl tape. Often, it dries-out and fails at the bottom of the foam sheet, which allows water to run behind the door panel and into the car.

You mentioned that you know of a leak at the top, so you might not have a door leak.

Once you have the door opened, it's a perfect time to lubricate the window slider tracks as well. The plastic slides might need to be replaced. It might also be a good time to replace the seal behind the outside door handle, if yours is cracked. In my case, it was also time to replace the door speakers.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 AM

Water leak z3

tHANKS FOR THESE PRECISIONS
In fact, I made many tests yesterday evening (-5°C) with my watering can
join on the hard top no leak
join glass (door panel) no leak (you've reason)
join between windschield and hardtop => bingo leak
so I remove my hardtop and put silicone spray on joins
I saw that the hole at the triangular join was a bit blocked but I can put a colson in this hole and the colson can across the join and go out along the triangukar area as I saw on on e topic
I 'm not sure to have understood, I don't understand the interest of this hole, what is this function?
It must be blocked with silicon join or not?
anyway I 'm going to recenter my hardtop and I saw that the joins at the back of the hardtop are very crushed...
thanks
I'm sure that your exterior temperature are not as lower as in France now
bye
Old 03-17-2013, 04:26 AM
GLLOQ

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by leclerfr View Post
tHANKS FOR THESE PRECISIONS
In fact, I made many tests yesterday evening (-5°C) with my watering can
join between windschield and hardtop => bingo leak
so I remove my hardtop and put silicone spray on joins
I saw that the hole at the triangular join was a bit blocked but I can put a colson in this hole and the colson can across the join and go out along the triangukar area as I saw on on e topic
I 'm not sure to have understood, I don't understand the interest of this hole, what is this function?
It must be blocked with silicon join or not?
Bonjour_ Tout d'abord qu'est-ce que c'est qu'un colson ? (Je suis americain, ce terme ne se voit pas chez nous). Je ne suis pas en mesure de parler d'un hardtop, vu que je n'ai que le toit en toile.

Mes deux sous: En ce qui concerne les trous triangulaires aux extremites du pare-brise et le bouchon qui s'y met, si l'eau peut penetrer par ces trous, voilą une source de vos fuites. J'ai resolu ce probleme dans ma Z3 en mettant sur le bouchon une colle impermeable avant de le glisser dans le trou. Etanche!