Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 AM
jertronic

Mein Auto: 2008 328 xi sedan
Safelite Autoglass windshield replacement question

I have an appointment for the windshield replacement at a safelite shop through my auto insurance company.

Should I ask for certain standards or a certain brand of glass to be used in the replacement? I have rain sensing wipers with auto dimming mirror.

I wish that I could ask for the best technician in the shop to perform the replacement but I will be going in blind in a sense.

I want to avoid a lousy job on the windshield for obvious reasons. Any tips or experience that can be shared would be appreciated.

I have a windshield with substantial pitting, due to age and and miles, and a few decent chips in the glass.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I went to the safelite in Allston, MA a few years ago, they really mess up on my windshield trims. Ever since that incident, I now use the dealer or JN Phillip for glass work. If you cannot get BMW glass, you should stick with the name brands such as PPG or pilkington.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 PM
jertronic

At the safelite shop the woman explained that I will be getting premium glass with no BMW logo when I inquired as to which brand. She said it would be green tint with green shade. I asked to have one with gray tint obtained for my install instead. She did some checking and said that such an order would come from a vendor and that the cost would be greater. Then she came back and said that she could get one for me - green tint with gray shade - for no extra cost. I have a zero deductible through MetLife.

Can anyone comment on the tint and the shade colors?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:52 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Unless you feel pretty secure about who is doing the job . . . I gotta ask, you're replacing this not because you have a big crack running through it, but because there is simply some pitting, a small handful of chips, maybe tiny ones? I just wonder if you could have most of the pitting and/or chips repaired by a professional using an optical grade cerium oxide polish, and/or certain chip repair kits, it's just something to look into. I have an Invisible Glass kit that I have on hand just in case I got a doozie one day, and that I want to catch it as fast as possible before cracking spreads or something. Of course I'd rather that it was off in the periphery rather than dead ahead straight, but anyway, good luck!

As for tinting, I wonder what the visible light transmission rating is on the tints that you're interested in. Because some aftermarket windshield tints from Llumar for example range in the ballpark from 78-85%. If the difference is small, at least you have the option, if the difference is big, it's something you'd have to think about.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 335Xi, 2013 X1
I just had mine done. The guy came to my house and I stripped my car down for him watch him take out the window with an adapted sausaw and then helped put the trim and wipers back.
He said he has not had a customer help him in years. I felt bad for the guy my car was having a bad bout of dealer envy and kept going to and from the dealer and missing appointments like crazy. Then I had to go and buy a cowl because the one on the car was broke.

Last edited by Leekay07; 01-15-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:16 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Had mine done. BMW glass Pilkington with no BMW logo and rain sensing system. By the way the sensor was attached to the glass and was tinted the same as the factory. Had a couple of pucker in the corners which the tech said would come out with heat. One did one didn't so called them up and the tech came out corrected the problem in short order. Cannot tell the difference at all between the OEM with the logo and without.

No advice
TAKE YOUR CAR TO THEIR SHOP
Why
Because this time of year the temps are cold and you get a better job done with the temps are closer to room temp not 30 F or so.
Your car your call but if I had to do it over again that is what I would do...
I am totally satisfied with them and they did this around Thanksgiving...
Old 01-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Had mine done. BMW glass Pilkington with no BMW logo and rain sensing system. By the way the sensor was attached to the glass and was tinted the same as the factory. Had a couple of pucker in the corners which the tech said would come out with heat. One did one didn't so called them up and the tech came out corrected the problem in short order. Cannot tell the difference at all between the OEM with the logo and without.

No advice
TAKE YOUR CAR TO THEIR SHOP
Why
Because this time of year the temps are cold and you get a better job done with the temps are closer to room temp not 30 F or so.
Your car your call but if I had to do it over again that is what I would do...
I am totally satisfied with them and they did this around Thanksgiving...
this.
i had a windshield replaced by safelite back in September. perfect job, but i would bring it to them vs having them come to you unless you have a heated garage.
i got a st gobain sekurit windshield, same mfr as OEM. no issues with the rain sensor
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 01-15-2013, 04:11 PM
jertronic

The Safelite shop is 1 mile from my house. The car will be left at the shop as I won't need motor transportation until late afternoon. Luckily this is not the same shop where X-Man received a poor quality install. I am 4 miles west of the Allston shop.

Planning on a positive post summing up the new windshield in a few days whether green with green shade or green with gray shade.

The outside temperature was 55F for Brady on Sunday. But, with 3-6 inches of while stuff forecast being at dawn tomorrow bringing the car for a shop installation is a must.