Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 E46 318ci
Rattling noise from door cards

Lately I have been having an annoying rattle from both door cards, I have read that the speakers become lose in the door panels. I have tightened them up and there was still a little noise so I packed them out a little with some clothes. The noise has gone from that location but not it's around the door locking pin area. I did noticed that a few of the plastic pins was snapped! Would this make that much of a issue and make the door cards rattle!?
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 PM

Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Known issue on the coupes. It's the regulator cable. Remove the vapor barrier, reach in and up. The cable running at the top is insulated by a 2-inch section of foam and a plastic clip that holds it to the door. Unfortunately the clip breaks, and the foam ride up the cable, creating a rattling sound that sounds like a loose pane of glass when the cable vibrates against the metal door frame.

If that's the sound you experience, that's the first place I'd look. When I did my door, the speaker housing can make noise, but that cable is the biggest offender. The speaker housing makes more of a creaking (as opposed to rattling) noise.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:03 AM

Ok mate. That sounds like the noise am getting! I will order some clips this week and get it done. It's the most annoying noise!!! :-(
Old 01-16-2013, 10:41 AM

I might sound stupid but what does the vapour barrier look like? Do you mean the large black foam cover on the door?