Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:01 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Talking Will the 2014 Lexus IS doom the F30 3er?!

2014 Lexus IS

OK, I just chose that title to stir up trouble.

Just watched video of it being introduced at the NAIAS and had to post....OMG that thing is absolutely butt ugly!! Seriously. What in the world is Lexus thinking?!

Here's the video. It wasn't the photos that I first saw. It was the car in motion in this video. The proportions are just horrible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	is21.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	358052   Click image for larger version

Name:	is31.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	358053   Click image for larger version

Name:	is41.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	358054   Click image for larger version

Name:	is55.jpeg
Views:	602
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	358055   Click image for larger version

Name:	is11.jpeg
Views:	3227
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	358056  

Click image for larger version

Name:	is3.jpeg
Views:	607
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	358057   Click image for larger version

Name:	is4.jpeg
Views:	566
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	358058  

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tim330i; 01-17-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: formatting edits for home page feature
Ads by Google
Old 01-16-2013, 11:01 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
You made a funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 PM
Estorilblau ///Member

Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport EBII
I actually kinda like the way it looks. The unfortunate reality though is that they have once again managed to disappoint. Lexuses look good and by looking at them you'd think they'd be fun to drive. Get in and it's like riding in an elevator. BORING.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e46, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I actually kinda like the way it looks. The unfortunate reality though is that they have once again managed to disappoint. Lexuses look good and by looking at them you'd think they'd be fun to drive. Get in and it's like riding in an elevator. BORING.
Lexus engineers claim they have engineered this car from the ground up for better handling and performance, and it does seem they have been having some success in this regard.

For example, many, many reviewers agree that the Lexus GS is a very worthy competitor to the current 5 series, with equal or better handling, but much better reliability.

Not sure how you can pan this car when you haven't driven it....

I agree the front end on the F-sport is pretty ugly, the non-f sport model is fine.

But the interior, especially the quality of materials, is head and shoulders above the current three series (I just sat in both yesterday at Detroit Auto show, press preview).

Plus, this car will be much more reliable than its German counterparts.

Probably won't out handle the F30, but is much, much closer, as is the new Infiniti, and the new Cadillacs, and likely new products from Acura as well.

BMW has its hands full, and again many have said it has slipped a bit, especially with the current 5 series....

And Audi sales are going gangbusters....

So my point is, this competition is good for all of us....because the days of Lexus building cars for 70 year olds is changing.

If you haven't driven the new GS, try it....you might not like the styling, but every single review I've read pits it very favorably against the 5 series.

The same may be true with this IS...and we know that the CTS and ATS, even if you don't like their styling, have proven to be reliable, good handling and economical choices to the 3 series, whereas in the past they were a joke.

Things are changing....give Lexus a bit of credit....the new IS is much better than you may think.

Same goes for the new Infiniti.....the are struggling with brand identity, true, but if they hit a home run on a design, and offer it cheaper and more reliably, which they can do better than BMW.....BMW could be in real trouble.

They are getting pressure from all angles, including Audi, the Asians, etc.

I'll bet MB even steals some entry level buyers with its new CLA, although that's FWD.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
The new IS is not my cup of tea. The ATS on the other hand looks fantastic.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
The new IS is not my cup of tea. The ATS on the other hand looks fantastic.
I think your statement, although short, is very important.

Not all cars within a segment truly compete with each other. Consumers shopping in the "3" segment won't really consider all cars equally because they really aren't all the same even though they might be similar in size and price.

Cars have a design language and a personality and consumers typically identify with a particular design language and personality. Within the "3" segment I think the cars are grouped into sub-groups: 3 series, C class, A4 and ATS are close enough in design language and personality that consumers will cross shop them. Infiniti and Lexus are close enough to cross shop them. But how often will and Infiniti buyer seriously cross shop a 3 series, and vice versa? I think thats less common.

I guess what I'm saying is, Infiniti and Lexus are probably going to end up battling each other for a small piece of the "3" segment, while BMW, Audi, Merc and Cadillac will battle for the lion's share.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
Lexus engineers claim they have engineered this car from the ground up for better handling and performance, and it does seem they have been having some success in this regard.

For example, many, many reviewers agree that the Lexus GS is a very worthy competitor to the current 5 series, with equal or better handling, but much better reliability.

I read a review on the new IS few weeks ago. Lexus let a number of reporters test drive it around the treck while the car was fully camouflaged. According to them, much stiffer and much better handling. Will need to test for myself. Looks are of secondary importance, most of the time we spend is inside the car, so we can't even see how it looks like. Handling is more important.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Early previews of the car say that's mostly just Lexus marketing talk.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: e46, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
Early previews of the car say that's mostly just Lexus marketing talk.
sources please?

The reviews I've read so far seem to to the contrary.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Estorilblau ///Member

Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport EBII
Quote:

Every Lexus I've driven to date has either been very boring, or has been lacking in some way when compared to other vehicles I've driven. BMWs, Maseratis, Mercs, Audis, etc. Lexus has always left me wanting for more when I've driven them.
BECAUSE OF THIS, Lexus is working from a hole that they need to climb out of. When a car company comes out with a new design or vehicle, I don't just wipe the slate clean. They have a lot to prove to get me in their corner.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: 997TT/335xi/R500
Quote:

I agree the front end on the F-sport is pretty ugly, the non-f sport model is fine.

But the interior, especially the quality of materials, is head and shoulders above the current three series (I just sat in both yesterday at Detroit Auto show, press preview).

Plus, this car will be much more reliable than its German counterparts.

Probably won't out handle the F30, but is much, much closer, as is the new Infiniti, and the new Cadillacs, and likely new products from Acura as well.

BMW has its hands full, and again many have said it has slipped a bit, especially with the current 5 series....

And Audi sales are going gangbusters....

So my point is, this competition is good for all of us....because the days of Lexus building cars for 70 year olds is changing.

If you haven't driven the new GS, try it....you might not like the styling, but every single review I've read pits it very favorably against the 5 series.

The same may be true with this IS...and we know that the CTS and ATS, even if you don't like their styling, have proven to be reliable, good handling and economical choices to the 3 series, whereas in the past they were a joke.

Things are changing....give Lexus a bit of credit....the new IS is much better than you may think.

Same goes for the new Infiniti.....the are struggling with brand identity, true, but if they hit a home run on a design, and offer it cheaper and more reliably, which they can do better than BMW.....BMW could be in real trouble.

They are getting pressure from all angles, including Audi, the Asians, etc.

I'll bet MB even steals some entry level buyers with its new CLA, although that's FWD.

I have to say that I love my 5-series. I cross shopped the competition excluding the Lexus because in my humble opinion it is underpowered. I think BMW hit a home run with the 5'er and its sales volume seems to agree.

Current: 2012 M-Sport 550i X-drive Dinan Stage 2, 1973 911 with 930 Motor (340 hp 2200 lbs).

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 911 Turbo, 2005 911 Carrera S, 07 BMW M Coupe, 07 335 XI, 05 Mercedes R500
Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by getz View Post
I have to say that I love my 5-series. I cross shopped the competition excluding the Lexus because in my humble opinion it is underpowered. I think BMW hit a home run with the 5'er and its sales volume seems to agree.
I did not really cross shop the 750i with Lexus. I had driven my cousins LS and I can see why he likes it but after an extended test drive of a 750 I was sold.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
OMG that thing is absolutely butt ugly!! Seriously. What in the world is Lexus thinking?!
+100! Exactly my thoughts when I saw it for the first time!

Old 01-17-2013, 12:26 AM

Mein Auto: 528, CTS
Old 01-17-2013, 12:52 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Japan used to make good looking cars, what happened?
Old 01-19-2013, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
Japan used to make good looking cars, what happened?
It all started with the 2009 Acura TL and its hideous looking "beak-like" front grille. I thought that was just about the ugliest looking grille I ever saw--until Lexus came up with this one. If Lexus intended to make that awful TL grille appear better by comparison, I think they succeeded.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:38 AM

Mein Auto: F30 335i Superman M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Lined View Post
Exactly

2013 BMW 335i Sedan Estoril Blue II M Sport 2PF|6MT|ZDH|ZTP|Coral Red Leather|688|508
2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R
Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Angry

That's a 1000x uglier than an ATS. Oooops, why did I bring that up?

EDIT: where did that red frown come from? Stupid iPad.

Last edited by krash; 01-17-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i MSport
Dear Lexus,
The photoshop smudge tool isn't for designing taillights. Also, Audi called and wants their grill back.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin951 View Post
Dear Lexus,
The photoshop smudge tool isn't for designing taillights. Also, Audi called and wants their grill back.
Hahahaha Awesome!

2013 335i M-sport xDrive 'Superman Combo'
Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Premium, Technology, Sport auto, Rear-view camera, Park Distance Control, HK
ED: May 28, 2013
Redelivery: Aug 12, 2013
Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 C350 Sport
Lexus is grasping for an identity with the advances at BMW, Merc, & Audi...even Infiniti is stepping it up.

2011-2014: Mercedes-Benz C350 Sport W204//Arctic White//P1//Split Folding

2010-2011: '11 128i E82//6AT//SpaceGray//Value//Heated Steering//Heated Seats//Moonroof

2009-2010: '06 325i E90//6MT//Sapphire Black//Beige//Dark Burl//Premium//Cold

2006-2009: '02 325ci E46//5MT//Steel Blue Metallic//Grey//Premium//Heated Seats
Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Lexus has a real bad identity crisis.

Through the years; Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porshe have always managed to maintain a signature look.

Lexus, even though they make great cars, has always blended in with the generic look of Asian imports: Toyota, Nissan, Mazda...

This is their attempt at coming up with a signature look. Terrible!

Last edited by krash; 01-17-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Lexus has a real bad identity crisis.

Through the years; Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porshe have always managed to maintain a signature look.

Lexus, even though they make great cars, has always blended in with the generic look of Asian imports: Toyota, Nissan, Mazda...

This is their attempt at coming up with a signature look. Terrible!
When Lexus first entered the market they made decent looking cars,

The LS400 was somewhat generic and had obviously been influenced by Mercedes but was not what I would consider ugly.

IMO the SC Coupe, which was introduced in 1992, was the best looking car Lexus ever made (I am probably biased because I had one exactly like the one in the picture above). That car felt like it had been carved out of a solid block of steel and was a pleasure to drive. It had a very smooth inline 6 engine, a 5 Speed manual transmission and a suspension that had a great balance between comfort and handling,

But that was then and now is now and Lexus is not making anything that appeals to me.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
When Lexus first entered the market they made decent looking cars,

This is a decent-looking car? Compared to today's cars, the styling is positively ancient.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-17-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
This is a decent-looking car? Compared to today's cars, the styling is positively ancient.
That car is 22 years old.

Here are a BMW and a Mercedes from the same era.

And in that era Lexus was a force to be reckoned with.
The brand was introduced in 1990 and within a few years Lexus was the best selling luxury brand, a position that it held for years.
Lexus was also constantly at the top of the JD Powers reliability list.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-17-2013 at 07:54 AM.