Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
No Major Issues

Browsing through all of these threads, I have yet to see a major electrical or mechanical repair on these cars that most seem to run into and complain about (beside the HPFP which has seemed to calm down on the latter series vehicles). On other forums I paruse due to my other vehicles' issues, it's all about every different problem you can think of and the cars are of the same vintage as ours. So what I have become of aware of to this point is:

-I may have to replace my mechatronic sleeve (can do myself!) down the road for a
leak.
-If I go beyone 120K and my HPFP fails I will have to replace myself which I have a
link to a DIY for saved (looks easy enough).
-Tires are expensive.
-Turbos will eventually go out (but my SA repaired my waste gate acuators under
a TSB which may or may not help extend life...IDK). These seem the most pricey
potential replacements at 7K.
-electronic waterpump may go out around 80-100K (and is also a DIY and separate
from the inside of the timing cover and easy to replace but unit is pricey).
-Need to replace my spark plugs around 45K (easy).
-do oil and filter changes more frequently yourself.
-EXPENSIVE Battery replacement is possible at one point and a little complex!
-Transmission filter and drain needs done at approx 100k (there is a DIY on You Tube
and kit available for around $250.

From the cars I've owned over the years, these issues seem normal and I have done more and harder ones. Anyone have any other common more complex and pricey repairs that can lay you flat on this bad boy?
Ads by Google
Old 01-19-2013, 02:58 AM

Mein Auto: 325i E92 Coupe
In view of your findings about possible water pump failure, you may like to consider regular coolant changes as the coolant is used in part to lubricate the pump...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof

Old 01-19-2013, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Intake valve cleaning do to DI design.

Intake valve cleaning do to DI design.
I didn't see that one listed.
Coils and Injectors.(are a maybe)

Last edited by ctuna; 01-19-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
When the time comes you can replace the runflat tires with non-runflats, saving a significant sum.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:41 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Water pump failures are not caused by lack of coolant changes which is an internal fluid problem issue. The ones reported with pictures show the electronics shorting out do to water infiltration especially salt water from those states that use it. Also the plastic housing is prone to cracking which again is more related to heat than any coolant issues.
Heat and water infiltration seem to be the common theme.

Intake valve cleaning. Hard to say because GM does not have this issue on their DI engines but VW and Audi have the worse issue BMW some as well. It has been reported by one poster that has 180K miles on his car that he had to have the valves done at 50K or so miles and changed oil to one with a higher flash point and changed more regularly than BMWs CBS recommends and has not had that return.

Turbos last forever unless you beat hell out of them. Most turbos will be fine when the engine is toast unless---you run the crap out of the engine when the oil is cold and I guarantee you will blow turbo seals and have what is called a lazy turbo(s) requiring replacement since they will not boost or boost to the psi the DME is requesting.

I don't have any issues with mine period. However I don't beat hell out of it or mod hell out of it either...
Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
I'm definitely replacing the run flats with non run flats! This thing is way too stiff! Good call. I don't beat on my engine when cold so hopefully no Turbo issues and mostly freeway driving. What is "DI design" regarding the intake?
Old 01-20-2013, 05:32 AM
Princeton

Mein Auto: 2008 335cxi
DI = Direct injection.