Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-19-2013, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: Buying
Why BMW Owners Wash Their Cars More Than Others

Intersting

www.openaccessmarkets.com/Blog.html
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
How about because the damn brake dust is so hard to remove (even with Sonax wheel effects).

BMW CCA Member
Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i, manual blk/blk
Written by someone who has never owned, let alone appreciated, a BMW. There is a sizable group out there who believe that BMW drivers are after status and prestige. They are usually envious and bitter people. For many people, cars are an appliance and that's fine, and I wouldn't recommend BMW to those people. I wash my car because it looks better to me when clean and the aforementioned brake dust. I also enjoy the process of washing the car. It's a therapeutic escape that allows me to caress and marvel at my baby. Yeah, I went there...
Old 01-19-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themust View Post
Written by someone who has never owned, let alone appreciated, a BMW. There is a sizable group out there who believe that BMW drivers are after status and prestige. They are usually envious and bitter people. For many people, cars are an appliance and that's fine, and I wouldn't recommend BMW to those people. I wash my car because it looks better to me when clean and the aforementioned brake dust. I also enjoy the process of washing the car. It's a therapeutic escape that allows me to caress and marvel at my baby. Yeah, I went there...
Says on the last line: BTW I own a 535i
Old 01-19-2013, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i, manual blk/blk
Don't confuse me with the facts. Just killing time on a flight from San francisco to Atlanta to watch the niners kick some falcon butt!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Fastman

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
@themust. Take another look at the article. The author confesses to owning a 535i.
Black matte grill
M5 spoiler
K&N filter
Old 01-19-2013, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 550i
here's why I wash my car more than most: I'm a clean freak. I'm in my car a lot and I like to be comfortable. Knowing it's clean makes me comfortable. My first car was a 1993 Nissan Alitma. I treated it the same way. My second car was a 2002 Maxima. Cleanest car on the block. My wife's previous car, an infiniti g35, stayed clean. her current car - a lexus rx350. stays clean. and so does my 550. it's just how I am and has little to do with BMW - although the car looks great when polished.

I'm a male, I guess I'm middle class, whatever that means and it wasn't a sacrafice to purchase my car. Interesting article but mostly useless.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i sport pack
Ya I kind of just enjoy washing my car on the weekends. It relaxes me and I like things clean. The author who wrote this is a Douche Bag and had nothing better to write. Clearly he's stereotyping us BMW/luxury car owners... He should have his 535 revoked!
Old 01-19-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleedom View Post
Ya I kind of just enjoy washing my car on the weekends. It relaxes me and I like things clean. The author who wrote this is a Douche Bag and had nothing better to write. Clearly he's stereotyping us BMW/luxury car owners... He should have his 535 revoked!
Its curious that you took it so personally and negative. I took a positive message from it - BMW owners are loyal and repeat buyers. What pissed you off so much about it?
Old 01-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
I've probably owned Bimmers too long to consider them prestige anymore. Honestly at one point I thought so. Many people do. A coworker showed up in a used 2012 C class Benz some weeks ago and said he bought it for his wife because she got her bachelors and wanted to feel as if she accomplished something in life. I smiled, then (laughed to myself outside a little). I didn't want to disrespect his logic. The thing is BMW, Merc and Audi are still perceived by many as a status symbol. They think It's not so much the fact that you can afford the car, but more so the fact that you can afford the repairs.

I wash my bimmers on average about twice a week, but I would do that to any car. A clean car IS a happy car and from experience also a bit less troublesome. It's not because its a bmw, (well kinda) but more so its a modern car. I'm not in a 2011+ car, but I've been asked that before on both of them. So washing the car pays off in the sense that most people have NO CLUE what type of BMW it is so they give you some crazy off the wall compliments, and it lasts longer or retain its value better.

The best comment on my car: "that's a nice M5 mahn."
The best comment on my X5 was back in 2011: "that's the 2011 right, I'm thinking about getting one."
Old 01-19-2013, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: A Car
Well to be honest, i wash my cars once (At most twice but that rarely happens) a week because . . . i like to keep ALL my things clean and in top condition.
That's including gadgets, cars . . . everything.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535i
I just enjoy washing my car. I also like listening to music.....and watching hockey on TV.

2008 535i Platinum Grey/Grey Dakota/Sport/Premium/Paddles/Bamboo/Nav/PDC
Old 01-19-2013, 08:52 PM
BMWs since '87

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi (LCI)
Hmmm, I've washed mine 2 or 3 times since August and have yet to wax it. I think I cleaned the interior once too. Wonder what that says about me aside from the fact I work full time and seem to never have time to do anything...
Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 AM

Just washed mine!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 328i convertible 1996
I wash mine like onces I week but how do I get that dang brake dust to go away I downshift instead of uses breaks as much as I can help please haha
Old 01-20-2013, 12:12 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rok8man
Mein Auto: BMW 535i
I get my car washed because a) I have a carbon black and its hard to keep clean and you can see dust and dirt very easily and b) the car washes are free from the dealership which is like two minutes from me.

I fit the demographic that the blogger was pointing to. I have always dreamt of owning a BMW and I had to wait a long time for it and now that I have one I am sold on BMW quality. Went on a four hour road trip yesterday and the seats were unbelievably comfortable. I didnt feel tired once.

I dont know why BMW owners get a bad rap for being a d*bag... I for one certainly am no and never will aspire to be one
Old 01-20-2013, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
I just washed mine today too! I changed out to ceramic pads last summer because the god awful brake dust was unbearable. I don't want to spend 2 hrs washing my car, only to go 5 miles and my wheels are black from the dust.

Others:
2006 Corvette Conv, Z51,6sp (wife)
2007 Honda CBR1000RR Sold
2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (wife) Sold

Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Just washed and waxed mine. Don't know about this guy but i like washing my car because its relaxing in a zen kind of way. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1358728751.428983.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	358547

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access
-FBO, custom Cobb E30 map, Performance Gearing LSD.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaazaa View Post
Just washed and waxed mine. Don't know about this guy but i like washing my car because its relaxing in a zen kind of way. Attachment 358547
I totally agree there is something relaxing about washing a car.

BMW CCA Member
Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim165 View Post
I just washed mine today too! I changed out to ceramic pads last summer because the god awful brake dust was unbearable. I don't want to spend 2 hrs washing my car, only to go 5 miles and my wheels are black from the dust.
The brake dust is annoying. I guess the good thing for me since I have black gloss wheels is after 5 mile they look like matte black ones.

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access
-FBO, custom Cobb E30 map, Performance Gearing LSD.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Well,, I stopped,,,,and don't wash my car any more,,,,
I only use McGuire's clear quick detailer and quick wax spray every weekend. And dust it offf once or twice during the week ... The only thing I wash now are my wheels ,,
I enjoy keeping my baby clean,, and it's like therapy for me. It's all in my head ,,but the car feels better when its clean,,,,and shiny
Old 01-21-2013, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
Well,, I stopped,,,,and don't wash my car any more,,,,
I only use McGuire's clear quick detailer and quick wax spray every weekend. And dust it offf once or twice during the week ... The only thing I wash now are my wheels ,,
I enjoy keeping my baby clean,, and it's like therapy for me. It's all in my head ,,but the car feels better when its clean,,,,and shiny
I agree with you - a Cali duster and quick detailer can keep your car looking very good with minimal work. That said, I do enjoy washing my cars (I enjoy the result more than the process, though).
Old 01-22-2013, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: E60 525i
I spend about an hour every week to wash my car and another hour every 2 weeks to wax it. It's joyful when I see my car become shiny again and smooth when touch.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i Sport
Author misses one of the reasons I wash my car. I do a better job than the cheese eating teenagers at the local car wash. $15.00 for a basic, car is not thoroughly dry when you leave and badly streaked when you get home, wash. Add $5.00 for the "wheel deal" and $3.00 for the presumptive tip = waste of time and money.
I only use the car wash when it is too cold to do it myself and to get the salt and winter debris off the car.
I think the "wheel deal" pisses me off the most. The rims don't get touched unless you pay the extra $5.00. Clean body and dirty wheels = waste of time and money.
Thanks for letting me rant!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBCWitter View Post
...I do a better job than the cheese eating teenagers at the local car wash...
How do you know they eat cheese? What does that mean?