Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 01-19-2013, 12:03 PM
CR

Mein Auto: Honda
Need Feedback on European Delivery Process

Hi all,
I am trying to get my car by doing the European Delivery and I am a little skeptical about asking these questions to the dealer. I live in Albuquerque, NM .

So, here are my questions, any feedback will be appreciated.

1) Are dealers willing to do this? It is my assumption, they would want you to take a car from their lot, wouldn't they? How much leverage do I have negotiating the final price of the car? In other words, do I have the same negotiating power as with one of their stock cars? Who gets the final word on a price for an ED car?

2) Once you confirm the process, how long does it take to get the car in Europe?

3) The official BMW website claims savings of about 7% by doing the ED, is this true?

4) How long does it take the car to arrive to USA once you tested in Europe?

5) Are there any charges, "hidden" or not, I should be aware of? Like customs, import fees, etc. and any idea approximately how much they are?

6) Last one. Promise. Are you able, during the time in Europe to take the car to other countries like Italy, Spain, etc? Do they have to be part of the EU?

I really appreciate your time and feedback on this. I really want to do this, and since I already had a trip planned with my mother, I wonder if the timing is right.

Rgds,
CR

Last edited by CRM001; 01-19-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: grammar
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 X3 3.5, 14 640i GC
Before everyone starts flaming you, I suggest you read the Wiki at the top of this forum page. It answers virtually all of your questions, and many you haven't thought of yet.

Having said that, DO IT... it is an amazing experience. I have done 6 EDs, 3 Mercedes and 3 BMWs. The savings on a BMW should be around 10% off US MSRP all in if you deal with someone who is an experienced ED sales person and knows the drill.

BTW, I live in Santa Fe part of the year and my most recent ED, a 2011 E90 M3 is sitting in the garage there right now. After researching, feel free to PM me with any more specific questions.

Good luck, Bob
Old 01-19-2013, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li
1) Are dealers willing to do this? It is my assumption, they would want you to take a car from their lot, wouldn't they? How much leverage do I have negotiating the final price of the car? In other words, do I have the same negotiating power as with one of their stock cars? Who gets the final word on a price for an ED car?

Yes dealers are willing to do this, use a board sponsor, since you're in NM try Greg Poland/Jon Schafer

2) Once you confirm the process, how long does it take to get the car in Europe?

Some people have done it within 5 weeks, usually it takes around 3months from when you order to when you pick up (it can be faster/slower)

3) The official BMW website claims savings of about 7% by doing the ED, is this true?

Yes, it can be more, go to bmwconfig.com and use the european delivery spec for building your car, it can be more based on incentives at the time you purchase.

4) How long does it take the car to arrive to USA once you tested in Europe?

It depends, being in NM you can prob get it 8-10 weeks later (getting your car on a truck, then a boat, customs, VPC etc all factor in to the time)

5) Are there any charges, "hidden" or not, I should be aware of? Like customs, import fees, etc. and any idea approximately how much they are?

BMW takes care of all the fees, no hidden charges

6) Last one. Promise. Are you able, during the time in Europe to take the car to other countries like Italy, Spain, etc? Do they have to be part of the EU?

Yes you can travel a lot Europe, but (always a but) you are limited in the time you can spend in Europe (I think it's a max of 14 days on their "free" insurance, you can extend it to 30 days (?) if you purchase their extended insurance.

I am in no way an expert, really only a novice, at this, as 540gone said, check the wiki out, read as much as you can on this forum, and contact Greg Poland/Jon Schafer and start your new car process! V/r, Tim

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)
Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popoemt View Post

Some people have done it within 5 weeks, usually it takes around 3months from when you order to when you pick up (it can be faster/slower)
Or as little as 3 weeks as in the case of my 335d.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 01-20-2013, 02:50 PM
CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540gone View Post
Before everyone starts flaming you, I suggest you read the Wiki at the top of this forum page. It answers virtually all of your questions, and many you haven't thought of yet.

Having said that, DO IT... it is an amazing experience. I have done 6 EDs, 3 Mercedes and 3 BMWs. The savings on a BMW should be around 10% off US MSRP all in if you deal with someone who is an experienced ED sales person and knows the drill.

BTW, I live in Santa Fe part of the year and my most recent ED, a 2011 E90 M3 is sitting in the garage there right now. After researching, feel free to PM me with any more specific questions.

Good luck, Bob
Thank You Bob, Popoemt, Gluhwein, and dkreidel. Specially to Bob for the warning about those "expert" smart assess like MB330 and Pharding...ha,ha!

In any case, I did not mean to create animosity of any kind, just like I did not like to be implied to be lazy or stupid. I am not lazy nor stupid. I am just trying to find and communicate with real people who has done this recently and be aware of what to expect. That's it.

I am also part of other posts, and no matter how stupid or how lazy someone may sound, before posting negative comments I just reserve my opinion and do not answered.

Having said that, I appreciate everyone who pointed me to the wiki search. I will do more research on line for some of my questions.

However, if you don't mind me popping some private questions, please let me know. I will really appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Claudio

Last edited by CRM001; 01-20-2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-20-2013, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
delete

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT

Last edited by MB330; 01-21-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM001 View Post

However, if you don't mind me popping some private questions, please let me know. I will really appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Claudio
We were all "new" here at some point. Obviously, your intention is just to get some information. It's a shame that people will often flame away rather than simply ignore your thread. Some of the members that like to haze newbies have a lot of ED experience and are a very helpful resource that is available to us but you have to take the good with the bad! I'm sure you will get answers to almost anything you can think of asking here.
2008 X3, Alpine White (Ret.) ED: 5.22.08,
2007 328 Convertible, Monaco Blue/Saddle Brown,Sport, (Ret.)
ED: 5.25.07
2005 330 Convertible (Ret.) Sapphire Black/Tan Leather
2002 330 Convertible (Ret.) Silver/Gray Leath
1996 318 convertible (Ret.) Alphine White/Tan Leather
Old 01-19-2013, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Kindly use search feature of this web site and you will find your answers there. It sheer laziness not to invest a few minutes of your time to do your own research before asking questions that have been discussed and answered literally thousands of times.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 01-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
[QUOTE=pharding;7324624 It sheer laziness not to invest a few minutes of your time to do your own research before asking questions that have been discussed and answered literally thousands of times.[/QUOTE]

Actually, for someone who is unaccustomed to the ED page there's a lot of information! The link to the Wlki isn't as obvious to the new user as it is to us who know where to look on the landing page. It would likely help new users if the Wiki link were made more obvious on the landing page, and we might make more friends if we didn't insult them on their first post when they may simply have not noticed the Wiki link

I wonder if we could appeal to the administrator to somehow enhance the presence of the Wiki link on the ED landing page?

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles

Last edited by dkreidel; 01-20-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:32 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
Actually, for someone who is unaccustomed to the ED page there's a lot of information! The link to the Wlki isn't as obvious to the new user as it is to us who know where to look on the landing page. It would likely help new users if the Wiki link were made more obvious on the landing page, and we might make more friends if we didn't insult them on their first post when they may simply have not noticed the Wiki link

I wonder if we could appeal to the administrator to somehow enhance the presence of the Wiki link on the ED landing page?
Thank you. Last year I was a newbie too and there's just so much info to sort through. As tired as some seem to get with newbies' many questions, I tire of the smartass attitude some of the vets respond with. Nothing wrong with pointing them in the right direction but to imply they are lazy and stupid is really unfair.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red)
2013 MINI Cooper Coupe (red)
2014 Ford Fusion (grey)
Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 AM

delete

Last edited by MB330; 01-21-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post

I agree with this. While the "wiki" link is at the top of the page, it's above where one would look ordinarily and the font is no more prominent.

I think it would be better as a "sticky" as the first thread, with a heading like:

"Frequently Asked Questions about ED" and then embed a link to the wiki.

The OP's questions are answered in the wiki, but the fact that he didn't find it first (and bothered to type out a bunch of questions) suggests it's not obvious enough.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:08 PM

delete

Last edited by MB330; 01-21-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 PM
CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB330 View Post
If person first came here and look at the top - he can see J.Spira post - Welcome to the European Delivery Forum - Please Read This First
can be a one way to start looking for answers.
As I see, and appreciate from other members trying to help, It seems several of us are not as smart as you are MB330. Now, I wonder if you could stay put and allow people to post without having a saying on this thread that I initiated. I, we, would really appreciated.

Thanks,

P.S. I didn't attack anyone I just stated the facts that you keep helping me prove...(kidding).
Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
ED Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Kindly use search feature of this web site and you will find your answers there. It sheer laziness not to invest a few minutes of your time to do your own research before asking questions that have been discussed and answered literally thousands of times.
Pharding:

You're a bit harsh...perhaps the poster didn't know what to do, as in how to use the "Search" feature or Wiki.

Lack of awareness is not necessarily laziness, at least in my opinion, and that's all there is to it. You may disagree, which is fine.

But let's try to help. If you don't wish to, that's fine, but you don't have to caution about flaming and then proceed to do just that.

Richard
Old 01-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
ED Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Pharding:

You're a bit harsh...perhaps the poster didn't know what to do, as in how to use the "Search" feature or Wiki.

Lack of awareness is not necessarily laziness, at least in my opinion, and that's all there is to it. You may disagree, which is fine.

But let's try to help. If you don't wish to, that's fine, but you don't have to flame.

Richard
Old 01-19-2013, 08:33 PM

The search function works quite well for finding information in the posts also.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
Old 01-20-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB330 View Post
- My wife get pregnant during ED -what should I do next? etc.

HAHAHAHA!!! ROFL...

The actual answer to that is "don't tell your girlfriend..."

That was pretty funny...

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)
Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 AM

delete

Last edited by MB330; 01-21-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:55 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
That said, try and bite your tongue and don't take things personally, even if they are. If you start sniping at other people and complaining, especially when you're a newbie, you may just find that people ignore you but don't bother telling you. Then you'll lose some good advice from the experienced people.

Incidentally, this is a public forum and the way we educate others and become educated ourselves is not by PMing info with individuals but by sharing it for everyone to see.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. We experienced forum members should be the wise and helpful contributors to these threads. I know I have answered the same questions on tire/wheel threads dozens of times. If someone mocks or attacks a newbie, then the newbie shouldn't be lectured for fighting back. A high post count doesn't give one the right to haze.

Also PMs shouldn't be used for insults either, but they can helpful work-arounds to avoid public ridicule. I have had to use PMs to provide support to members in the past. If you are afraid that you are missing out on some good info, don't be afraid to ask a question - we are happy to help in a safe welcoming environment.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 01-21-2013, 09:41 PM
CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree. We experienced forum members should be the wise and helpful contributors to these threads. I know I have answered the same questions on tire/wheel threads dozens of times. If someone mocks or attacks a newbie, then the newbie shouldn't be lectured for fighting back. A high post count doesn't give one the right to haze.

Also PMs shouldn't be used for insults either, but they can helpful work-arounds to avoid public ridicule. I have had to use PMs to provide support to members in the past. If you are afraid that you are missing out on some good info, don't be afraid to ask a question - we are happy to help in a safe welcoming environment.

Hi again, and sorry but I could not find the answer for this on the Wiki, and if I did it seems I am just confused on the following:

In bmwconfig.com I saved a configuration which by default displays (on the right) U.S.Port of Entry cost, MSRP and Invoice, but the drop down has the option for "European Delivery Munich pick up" (which is cheaper). Which is the cost I should be looking for since I am "picking up the car" in Europe but they will deliver it here to the dealer in the U.S. http://s1.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/iono.gif

Thanks again.
Claudio

Last edited by CRM001; 01-21-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Hi again, and sorry but I could not find the answer for this on the Wiki, and if I did it seems I am just confused on the following:

In bmwconfig.com I saved a configuration which by default displays (on the right) U.S.Port of Entry cost, MSRP and Invoice, but the drop down has the option for "European Delivery Munich pick up" (which is cheaper). Which is the cost I should be looking for since I am "picking up the car" in Europe but they will deliver it here to the dealer in the U.S. http://s1.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/iono.gif

Thanks again.
Claudio
You'll use the European Delivery price (usually, depending on the model of course, you should be able to add $500-1000 on top of the "European Invoice" and that's the price of the car...)

Others more experienced with this can chime in as well V/r, Tim

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)
Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 911 C2S
Quote:

Thanks again.
Claudio
What is up on the next episode of "The View"? Claudio, welcome to Bimmerfest first of all, where the guys speak are often rough but the wealth of information make it worth it. You look at the European Delivery. A typical deal would be to take the Euro delivery invoice and add $1,000 with all options at cost, but it depends on the market, the area, the car you are getting (you have not said yet what are you getting). This is suggested on the worksheet at the bottom, it is all there, and it is indeed all in the search function. We are glad to help you, but for your own benefit, all the questions you ask are very easy to answer either on the wiki, with the search function, or even in the bmwconfig.com spreadsheet.

Now I am sorry for even thinking like this, but what is the definition of troll again?

Last edited by neurom; 01-22-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:06 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Might I suggest to be kind and helpfull to one another?
And can I suggest to change the ED Wicki name in a more attention grabbing one?
Something like:
How my girlfriend got pregnant while doing ED.

Obviously, this topic will not be in the thread.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 AM

We live in the era of Google. Who does anything online without doing a search for it. Think of how many times a week that one typically uses Google each week. Think of how often one searches any web site when looking for something. The Search Button is prominently displayed at the top of every page on this web site. Of course it takes time and effort for someone to do a search. Some look at it as "why should I spend my time time doing my own homework when others will literally do all the work for me?"

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i