Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-26-2004, 01:39 AM

Mein Auto: x5
Twin Turbo ?

Will the new twin turbo diesel from the 5 series saloon be fitted to the X5 ? It seems a very obvious thing for BMW to do. I`ve asked my dealer and he says not, but It`ll go in the 6 series and the 7, basically to bump up sales of the less easily sold models. The X5 here in the UK sells very strongly with a 12 month waiting list, diesels longer.
Autocar magazine says the new diesel will go in everything, they are usually accurate.
On a different note, picking up my new X5 diesel next week. I have the X5 diesel already a 2002 model, which has been the best all round car I`ve owned. This replaced an ML, which was a pile of you no what !
I`ve had the old X5 chipped from day one and will get the new one done as soon as possible. It will take the new engine to the 260bhp / 600nm mark. Has any body had any diesel tuning experience ? I`ve chipped quite a few cars and had nothing but positive results.
Ads by Google
Old 07-26-2004, 04:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean phillips

Will the new twin turbo diesel from the 5 series saloon be fitted to the X5 ?
Probably. But expect to see it do service in the 535d first for a little while, just in case the turbos start blowing up (BMW diesels are very good but early turbo failure is not unknown).
Quote:
It seems a very obvious thing for BMW to do. I`ve asked my dealer and he says not, but It`ll go in the 6 series and the 7, basically to bump up sales of the less easily sold models. The X5 here in the UK sells very strongly with a 12 month waiting list, diesels longer.
Autocar magazine says the new diesel will go in everything, they are usually accurate.
Autocar is still labouring under the misapprehension that the new 3er coupe/cab will be called the 4 series. Sometimes I think their journos have been sniffing a little too much petrol and quoting from six-month-old copies of Motor Trend...
Quote:
On a different note, picking up my new X5 diesel next week. I have the X5 diesel already a 2002 model, which has been the best all round car I`ve owned. This replaced an ML, which was a pile of you no what !
I`ve had the old X5 chipped from day one and will get the new one done as soon as possible. It will take the new engine to the 260bhp / 600nm mark. Has any body had any diesel tuning experience ? I`ve chipped quite a few cars and had nothing but positive results.
Watch your turbo. If it goes boom, BMW GB won't touch it with a bargepole and you'll have a 1,500 repair bill. Try one of the UK boards to find out how diesels have responded to chip/tuningboxes. The news is not always good.

Personally I wouldn't ask the engine to produced 600Nm. The crank for the twin-turbo had to be redesigned to cope with 560Nm, and the engine will be working hard in your two-and-a-bit tonne truck. It already has 369 lb-ft/500Nm.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:43 AM
PR02ZAC do u need a lift

Send a message via Skype™ to swindonhost
Mein Auto: X5 2003 3.0D / others mad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean phillips

Hi Dean I've had mine sonce day 1 also, Birds performed the Mod enabling retention of the BMW warranty. No problems at all this end

The new X5 should be a real cracker with a chip.
2003- X5, 3.0D All options except, Adjustable rear seats and moving cargo platform.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by swindonhost
Hi Dean I've had mine sonce day 1 also, Birds performed the Mod enabling retention of the BMW warranty. No problems at all this end

The new X5 should be a real cracker with a chip.
A subtle difference - Birds will honour the warranty, but it's not the same warranty. Dinan does something very similar.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:40 AM
PR02ZAC do u need a lift

Send a message via Skype™ to swindonhost
Mein Auto: X5 2003 3.0D / others mad
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_thomas
A subtle difference - Birds will honour the warranty, but it's not the same warranty. Dinan does something very similar.
Accepted, Birds cover it for 3 years or 60k miles

thats the lifetime of my driving it.
2003- X5, 3.0D All options except, Adjustable rear seats and moving cargo platform.