Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-26-2004, 01:39 AM
dean phillips dean phillips is offline
Registered User
Location: england
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: x5
Twin Turbo ?


Will the new twin turbo diesel from the 5 series saloon be fitted to the X5 ? It seems a very obvious thing for BMW to do. I`ve asked my dealer and he says not, but It`ll go in the 6 series and the 7, basically to bump up sales of the less easily sold models. The X5 here in the UK sells very strongly with a 12 month waiting list, diesels longer.
Autocar magazine says the new diesel will go in everything, they are usually accurate.
On a different note, picking up my new X5 diesel next week. I have the X5 diesel already a 2002 model, which has been the best all round car I`ve owned. This replaced an ML, which was a pile of you no what !
I`ve had the old X5 chipped from day one and will get the new one done as soon as possible. It will take the new engine to the 260bhp / 600nm mark. Has any body had any diesel tuning experience ? I`ve chipped quite a few cars and had nothing but positive results.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 07-26-2004, 04:30 AM
andy_thomas andy_thomas is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: London
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,587
Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean phillips

Will the new twin turbo diesel from the 5 series saloon be fitted to the X5 ?
Probably. But expect to see it do service in the 535d first for a little while, just in case the turbos start blowing up (BMW diesels are very good but early turbo failure is not unknown).
Quote:
It seems a very obvious thing for BMW to do. I`ve asked my dealer and he says not, but It`ll go in the 6 series and the 7, basically to bump up sales of the less easily sold models. The X5 here in the UK sells very strongly with a 12 month waiting list, diesels longer.
Autocar magazine says the new diesel will go in everything, they are usually accurate.
Autocar is still labouring under the misapprehension that the new 3er coupe/cab will be called the 4 series. Sometimes I think their journos have been sniffing a little too much petrol and quoting from six-month-old copies of Motor Trend...
Quote:
On a different note, picking up my new X5 diesel next week. I have the X5 diesel already a 2002 model, which has been the best all round car I`ve owned. This replaced an ML, which was a pile of you no what !
I`ve had the old X5 chipped from day one and will get the new one done as soon as possible. It will take the new engine to the 260bhp / 600nm mark. Has any body had any diesel tuning experience ? I`ve chipped quite a few cars and had nothing but positive results.
Watch your turbo. If it goes boom, BMW GB won't touch it with a bargepole and you'll have a 1,500 repair bill. Try one of the UK boards to find out how diesels have responded to chip/tuningboxes. The news is not always good.

Personally I wouldn't ask the engine to produced 600Nm. The crank for the twin-turbo had to be redesigned to cope with 560Nm, and the engine will be working hard in your two-and-a-bit tonne truck. It already has 369 lb-ft/500Nm.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-29-2004, 01:43 AM
swindonhost's Avatar
swindonhost swindonhost is offline
PR02ZAC do u need a lift
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 197
Send a message via Skype™ to swindonhost
Mein Auto: X5 2003 3.0D / others mad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean phillips

I`ve had the old X5 chipped from day one and will get the new one done as soon as possible. It will take the new engine to the 260bhp / 600nm mark. Has any body had any diesel tuning experience ? I`ve chipped quite a few cars and had nothing but positive results.
Hi Dean I've had mine sonce day 1 also, Birds performed the Mod enabling retention of the BMW warranty. No problems at all this end

The new X5 should be a real cracker with a chip.
__________________
1990-1998 E30 320 SE 215,000 MILES NO RATTLES
1998-1999 NISSAN 300zx Twin Turbo
2000-2003 E46 330 Se 4 Door Saloon, Xenon,Leather,Radio Nav, Voice, Split Fold, Phone, Step
2003- X5, 3.0D All options except, Adjustable rear seats and moving cargo platform.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-29-2004, 03:10 AM
andy_thomas andy_thomas is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: London
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,587
Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by swindonhost
Hi Dean I've had mine sonce day 1 also, Birds performed the Mod enabling retention of the BMW warranty. No problems at all this end

The new X5 should be a real cracker with a chip.
A subtle difference - Birds will honour the warranty, but it's not the same warranty. Dinan does something very similar.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-29-2004, 03:40 AM
swindonhost's Avatar
swindonhost swindonhost is offline
PR02ZAC do u need a lift
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 197
Send a message via Skype™ to swindonhost
Mein Auto: X5 2003 3.0D / others mad
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_thomas
A subtle difference - Birds will honour the warranty, but it's not the same warranty. Dinan does something very similar.
Accepted, Birds cover it for 3 years or 60k miles

thats the lifetime of my driving it.
__________________
1990-1998 E30 320 SE 215,000 MILES NO RATTLES
1998-1999 NISSAN 300zx Twin Turbo
2000-2003 E46 330 Se 4 Door Saloon, Xenon,Leather,Radio Nav, Voice, Split Fold, Phone, Step
2003- X5, 3.0D All options except, Adjustable rear seats and moving cargo platform.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms