Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325Ci Coupe
Thumbs down Transtunnel "CLUNK" on newly purchased car

Hey guys, this is my first post and I wish it was under better circumstances. I JUST purchased a 2004 325Ci 5-speed from a reputable BMW dealership and am having problems already . She drove perfectly on the test drive and all the way home, but now she knows she has been paid for and wants to act up LOL.

I am getting a loud CLUNK/CLICK noise that sounds as if the drive shaft was hitting something underneath my car. Its coming from underneath my armrest when it is under acceleration and especially going up a hill. From the mid to high end of 1st gear and into low to mid of the 2nd gear it really knocks pretty noticeably. It doesn't happen at very high speeds nor RPMs. WHAT IS IT?

I just bought this thing and LOVE the car, but being that it is my first BMW, I am lost.

I WANT to be a BMW guy, I hope you guys have some good news so I can stay here and not go back to my Nissan forums
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Could be one or more of the following:

Motor mounts

Trans mounts

Giubo ("Flex Disc")

Driveshaft center bearing

Diff bushing

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Could be one or more of the following:
Motor mounts
Trans mounts
Giubo ("Flex Disc")
Driveshaft center bearing
Diff bushing
Is this a pretty common occurrence on these cars? I have found a few threads that have talked about it but the OP never really says what the problem was in the end. Just trying to get my facts straight before I go hunting down BMW salesmen and/or driveshaft mechanics
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourrid View Post
Is this a pretty common occurrence on these cars? I have found a few threads that have talked about it but the OP never really says what the problem was in the end. Just trying to get my facts straight before I go hunting down BMW salesmen and/or driveshaft mechanics
All those which Bob mentioned are some typical things which need to be changed once in a while. Not exactly big problem, just normal.

Problem it would be if checking all those, and it wasn't one of those causing the sound.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr122 View Post
All those which Bob mentioned are some typical things which need to be changed once in a while. Not exactly big problem, just normal.

Problem it would be if checking all those, and it wasn't one of those causing the sound.
That's why I am trying to nip this in the bud ASAP. If it is a transmission problem, the dealership and I will be "going to the mattresses"

If it is a driveshaft problem, I will probably save myself the trouble and just fix the thing properly

Last edited by Yourrid; 01-22-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
If you just bought it, bring it back and make them fix it. If you start working on it, or bring it to another shop, any leverage, or recourse you have will be lost.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
If you just bought it, bring it back and make them fix it. If you start working on it, or bring it to another shop, any leverage, or recourse you have will be lost.
The dealership is over 200 miles away so bringing it back and letting it sit will be a feat all in itself. I need to get it in the air to see whats going on first before i start throwing the "L-word" at them. (Starts with L and rhyms with "Yemon")
Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Quote:
The dealership is over 200 miles away so bringing it back and letting it sit will be a feat all in itself. I need to get it in the air to see whats going on first before i start throwing the "L-word" at them. (Starts with L and rhyms with "Yemon")
You're going to start threatening them with the lemon law on a nine year old car when they haven't even attempted to fix it yet? Usually, for the lemon law to apply they have to have attempted to fix the same problem a few times and failed, and usually it only applies to newer cars. I think that you might get further with them if you started out in a less adversarial way.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
You're going to start threatening them with the lemon law on a nine year old car when they haven't even attempted to fix it yet? Usually, for the lemon law to apply they have to have attempted to fix the same problem a few times and failed, and usually it only applies to newer cars. I think that you might get further with them if you started out in a less adversarial way.
I didn't mean to come off very serious with that comment. I don't know the ins nor outs about the lemon laws so I wont pretend I do. It was just a passing notion is all...

Well I got it up in the air and turns out that its the center support bearing. Took a good grip of the front drive shaft and shook it, center support gave way pretty well. Heard some clunking behind the exhaust shield. Front joint held together no problem though. No movement at all on the side going into the transmission.

Took a look at the rear diff to see if the rear driveshaft was moving and it wasn't, so its got to be the center bearing. Parts are on the way for it and im trying to hunt down the BMW salesman that sold it to me to see what he can do about it, but I have a feeling this will be coming out of pocket since it is used and so old.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Quote:
... im trying to hunt down the BMW salesman that sold it to me to see what he can do about it, but I have a feeling this will be coming out of pocket since it is used and so old.
Around here, they have to be very clear about if you are buying a car that is "as is" or if it has some warranty. If "as-is" and they didn't deliberately cover up a problem, then you are out of luck. Of course, they will sometimes still do something as a good will gesture, if they made enough profit off the sale.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: '03 525i
Quote:

Well I got it up in the air and turns out that its the center support bearing. Took a good grip of the front drive shaft and shook it, center support gave way pretty well. Heard some clunking behind the exhaust shield. Front joint held together no problem though. No movement at all on the side going into the transmission.

Took a look at the rear diff to see if the rear driveshaft was moving and it wasn't, so its got to be the center bearing. Parts are on the way for it and im trying to hunt down the BMW salesman that sold it to me to see what he can do about it, but I have a feeling this will be coming out of pocket since it is used and so old.
I hope that you are planning to replace the "guibo" while you are in there. Same amount of work, don't go back in later, etc. etc.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Assuming it is a 5 speed car just remove the center shift surround, boot, and under boot and then you can actually SEE the driveshaft and can drive it that way. Might help you pinpoint the noise.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....