Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-23-2013, 12:26 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
Cool E36 official firearms thread.

We talk about firearms in the OT thread an awful lot, and while it's OT to BMW, it gets talked about frequently enough to probably use it's own thread.

SO: the main purpose will be to openly discuss and share photos of and about firearms. This IS NOT to be a political thread, we all have our opinions about it and this ain't the place for it, so check it at the door. This is going to be a friendly thread about reviews, acquisitions, advice, and general discussion.

Okay so there will be some ground rules
  • No attempts to buy or sell any firearm, ammo, or components
  • keep politics to an abosolute minimum
  • no fanboy circlejerks
  • do not post pictures or videos of you or anyone else engaging in risky or otherwise illegal behavior
  • always use proper safe firearm handling techniques
  • do not take any legal advice from here, we're not lawyers and thusly not liable for anything stupid or illegal that you or someone may or may not do
  • it is okay to post pictures from hunts, but no blood/gore please
  • use common sense when posting, if it seems wrong, it probably is.
This list will be amended as time goes on I'm sure but these are a few of the basics that immediately come to mind.

With all that, let us get started?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
^He's been drinking beer and destroying pumpkins with brake rotors and sledge hammers.

So, pretty much just doing man stuff.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
I for one, can't wait to watch how this thread progresses, and I am putting my opinion in now: This thread will be closed by moderators, with at least 1 ban.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
I just love blowing **** up

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
I for one, can't wait to watch how this thread progresses, and I am putting my opinion in now: This thread will be closed by moderators, with at least 1 ban.
I admit I do have the feeling that i have a million sets of eyes on me right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
I just love blowing **** up
why do you think I was a combat engineer for 4 year? Essayons.

I think that if we keep it clean and responsible there should be no reason for the thread to be locked. Granted if someone comes in here acting stupid and evokes the ire of the ban hammer, i'm sure this'll be locked tighter than a bank vault.

Quote:
^He's been drinking beer and destroying pumpkins with brake rotors and sledge hammers.

• '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Poet of Signature Quotes

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328is
Shall we start off with guns owned?

Marlin .22 Bolt Action with Nikon scope for wussies and little girls to learn to shoot.
MAS-36 WWII French rifle, never fired dropped once. 7.5mm
K98 8 mm German Mauser WWII rifle, with Eagle and Nazi markings still attached (I'm not a Nazi, they are more collectible that way)
Japanese Arisaka 7.7mm WWII "Last Ditch" rifle
Japanese 28 gauge single round shotgun
Winchester 12 gauge pump
And a Beretta 92FS Stainless with Tritium night sights.

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
So let it be written, so let it be done.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJon View Post
Shall we start off with guns owned?

Marlin .22 Bolt Action with Nikon scope for wussies and little girls to learn to shoot.
MAS-36 WWII French rifle, never fired dropped once. 7.5mm
K98 8 mm German Mauser WWII rifle, with Eagle and Nazi markings still attached (I'm not a Nazi, they are more collectible that way)
Japanese Arisaka 7.7mm WWII "Last Ditch" rifle
Japanese 28 gauge single round shotgun
Winchester 12 gauge pump
And a Beretta 92FS Stainless with Tritium night sights.
Sure.

My collection currently consists of of
  • Glock 23 Generation 4. 3.5lb trigger, extended slide stop, factory sights.
  • Remington 870 express, 12ga. all synthetic
  • Remintion 700 SPS .308 Nikon ProStaff BDC 3x9x40, Harris bipod, all synthetic stock with X-mark trigger and heavy barrel
  • Ishapore 2A1 7.62x54 NATO (Indian service rifle based on the Lee Enfield SMLE)

Quote:

• '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Now, on topic for the off topic: I'm looking to get a handgun. I think I want something that will be useful as home defense, will be fun to practice shoot with, and won't have terribly expensive ammunition. When I did my research (3 years ago, before leaving VA) my conclusion was the Glock 23.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Keep in mind I've never owned a hand gun, though I have fired several rifles and shotguns. Even killed a few beasts in my day.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-23-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Now, on topic for the off topic: I'm looking to get a handgun. I think I want something that will be useful as home defense, will be fun to practice shoot with, and won't have terribly expensive ammunition. When I did my research (3 years ago, before leaving VA) my conclusion was the Glock 23.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Keep in mind I've never owned a hand gun, though I have fired several rifles and shotguns. Even killed a few beasts in my day.
I happen to carry a G23 every day, I enjoy it. pros are it's size and endless aftermarket, cons, .40 ammo gets expensive. the G19 is the exact same gun but it uses the 9x19 round which is a lot cheaper to shoot at the range. There's an ongoing debate about .40 vs 9mm and the effectiveness and in short, .40 doesn't do a whole lot more, but it's a little bigger, and hits a little harder and has a lot more felt recoil than the 9mm.

for all around range/EDC use the G19 has my vote. unfortunately for you, they're on national backorder

Quote:

• '06 325xi 6MT
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
Quote:

I have a 23 and it is a great pistol. I also love my Kimber 1911, XD45, Kahr K40...etc. Everyone has an opinion on what is the best pistol and they are almost all right. Remember, guns are like motorcycle helmets, the best one is the one you have when you need it. Look around and find what is most comfortable and is a quality product. Then learn the safety rules and practice, practice, practice.

“In the olden days I always got the impression that TVR built a car, put it on sale, and then found out how it handled – usually when one of their customers wrote to the factory complaining about how dead he was.” -Jeremy Clarkson
Old 04-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
Quote:

I have had automatics and revolvers. Good home defense, hunting and fun to shoot. Look into Colt .357 Mag revolver or even Smith & Wesson Revolvers. I will stack them for accuracy aand reliability over any automatic. My Colt .357 revolver replaced my 45 auto in my 2nd & 3rd tours in Viet Nam.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:31 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitsjaf2009 View Post
Look into Colt .357 Mag revolver or even Smith & Wesson Revolvers. I will stack them for accuracy and reliability over any automatic.
This^

When a revolver goes "click" (VERY rarely) on a bad round, you just pull the trigger again. When an autoloader goes click, you go "OH SH!T!!!" and start trying to jack another round up the spout.

I like autos. I've had a bunch of 'em, but for "must work every time" I'll pick a revolver, no question.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
One more reason why!!! Great example.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:08 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: Ducati 916
Quote:
That's a sweet gun, especially for CC with the single stack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDavis View Post
The sig is a fun gun to shoot they are great guns to
I'll be getting a full sized 9mm, its going to be my duty gun for work, and will be double as home defense. I loved the 226 I held, 10 seconds in my hand was all I needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitsjaf2009 View Post
I have had automatics and revolvers. Good home defense, hunting and fun to shoot. Look into Colt .357 Mag revolver or even Smith & Wesson Revolvers. I will stack them for accuracy aand reliability over any automatic. My Colt .357 revolver replaced my 45 auto in my 2nd & 3rd tours in Viet Nam.
How expensive is .357 ammo though? I know around here the .357 and anything in .45 is stupid expensive to shoot. Seems like most people nowadays dont really want a revolver as their home defense gun if they have children.

If I was looking for an inexpensive all around gun, you cant really go wrong with a Springfield XD or a Glock, assuming it fits your hands. The Springfield XD is better than the Glock IMO, the trigger is better, and the grip is 10x better.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:38 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Two of my favourites may not sit so well with others, have always been the HK USP in .40 S & W, and the Glock 20 in 10mm.

http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/usp_general.asp

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g20gen4

EDIT:

The 92FS is a nice gun, but I've always had a little hesitation for the 9mm. dunno why.

Last edited by jonesin; 01-23-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Poet of Signature Quotes

I have also always like the Sig Sauer P226. Available in either 9mm or .40. Good gun, nice for CC too.
But I have always wanted a Rock Island .45 ACP in OD Green. I loved that gun from the moment I saw it. Just need an extra $500.

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
Old 02-14-2013, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
Quote:
I have also always like the Sig Sauer P226. Available in either 9mm or .40. Good gun, nice for CC too.
But I have always wanted a Rock Island .45 ACP in OD Green. I loved that gun from the moment I saw it. Just need an extra $500.
Jon, be careful with the Rock Island 1911s. Some are very good guns but I have seen a few which make me question their quality control. If you get a good one, it will be great. If you get a bad one, you will not be pleased.

“In the olden days I always got the impression that TVR built a car, put it on sale, and then found out how it handled – usually when one of their customers wrote to the factory complaining about how dead he was.” -Jeremy Clarkson
Old 02-20-2013, 06:21 AM
Poet of Signature Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Koopman View Post
Jon, be careful with the Rock Island 1911s. Some are very good guns but I have seen a few which make me question their quality control. If you get a good one, it will be great. If you get a bad one, you will not be pleased.
Just saw this post, don't know how I missed it. Thanks for the advice. I was a little worried about them due to the somewhat low price point for a 1911. I will definitely exercise extreme caution if I do go this route!

Quote:
Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Two of my favourites may not sit so well with others, have always been the HK USP in .40 S & W, and the Glock 20 in 10mm.

http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/usp_general.asp

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g20gen4

EDIT:

The 92FS is a nice gun, but I've always had a little hesitation for the 9mm. dunno why.
I hate Beretta and I hate the 92FS, but it is a reliable firearm, and is available to civies in 9mm or .40 caliber.

love me some HK pistols but they are too rich for my blood.
the 10mm Glock is a monster to be reckoned with, and there is not a single wild hog in existence that doesn't fear the 10mm.

also as a former Canadian military member, what service pistol were you all issued? Browning Hi-Power?

Quote:

• '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Yea that's the conclusion I came up with back in 2010. The 9mm packs a punch, but maybe not on a drugged out whacko?

I'm open to other brands, too. I'm not loyal to glock by any means, though I've heard that since they're very foolproof, they make a good gun for a first timer.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Currently I only have a WWII era Winchester Trench Gun. (Model 1912). And even that is in storage at a museum until I get around to getting my PAL and a firearms vault. In this rental townhouse, there really is no need for me to have a firearm on site.

Edit, yes I qualified marksman with the Hi-power. Was never a fan though. We also had the Sig 225, but from my experience that was mainly for MPs.

EDIT II:

Evidently we're in the marketfor a new GSP (General Service Pistol)

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2011/...auer-handguns/

Last edited by jonesin; 01-23-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Currently I only have a WWII era Winchester Trench Gun. (Model 1912). And even that is in storage at a museum until I get around to getting my PAL and a firearms vault. In this rental townhouse, there really is no need for me to have a firearm on site.

Edit, yes I qualified marksman with the Hi-power. Was never a fan though. We also had the Sig 225, but from my experience that was mainly for MPs.

EDIT II:

Evidently we're in the marketfor a new GSP (General Service Pistol)

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2011/...auer-handguns/
I just read on a different forum that GB just officially dumped the Hi-power for the G17. I have no idea if Canada will follow suit being that you guys use the same weaponry for the most part.

The US is currently fielding a bunch of off the shelf pistols to replace the Beretta that we use, one of the contenders, is also Glock. I believe that Springfield and and Smith & Wesson are also fielding a polymer pistol as well.

Quote:

• '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-23-2013, 01:02 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Many moons ago, my maternal grandfather had a Ruger revolver in .22 LR. Absofreakinglutely BEAUTIFUL firearm. Accurate. Perfectly machined. Wonderfully balanced. I would LOVE to get my hands on one again.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:05 PM
auto>manual swap crew

Mein Auto: 2 black ones
picked this up about a week ago....I LOVE it

Walther PPQ 9mm

Old 01-23-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHARMDVIPER View Post
picked this up about a week ago....I LOVE it

Walther PPQ 9mm

Those are NICE. A friend of mine has the smaller Walther, I'm unsure of the model but it's a 9mm and it's loud, it kicks, and its really surprisingly accurate.

Quote:

• '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Holy crap Trey, didn't know you were still around!