Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Coffee Extraordinaire

Mein Auto: 2001 740i Sport
New rear deck subs.

Granted I have to cut the plastic up to make them fit. Considering the cost I can live with that. The two outers fit with no trouble the inners do not fit because the plastic is way to shallow by 1/4". Should have some pics of them installed tomorrow.

With only the two it make one hell of a difference. Now I just need the AUX/Ipod integration kit.

The new speakers look a lot bigger, but they are the same size. Camera trickery because the new ones are taller.

Ads by Google
Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
Try making 'fit rings' out of MDF. Cheap and easy to work.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 01-28-2013, 12:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
I built the area up with dyno mat on mine
Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 AM
Coffee Extraordinaire

I cannot build up the mounting surface. The covers will not fit back on. The frames/baskets are a bit thicker on top plus they have good excursion.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 88 BMW 735i
try getting some from partsexpress man they are 5 1/4's. plus the speakers they used then are home speakers they are 8 ohms so if u got a factory amp you will kill it using 4 ohm speakers
Old 01-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Coffee Extraordinaire

should have specified. They are 6 ohm 60W rms. not 4 or 8 ohm
Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espresso View Post
should have specified. They are 6 ohm 60W rms. not 4 or 8 ohm
they shld say 8 ohms... from what i read in these models they had 8 ohm speakers in the rear deck... and from i read if you have a factory amp they are not made to work with a smaller load then 6 or 8... so if your getting a replacement try 8 ohms man. or try bsw. they sale kits. or just ask them they will tell you more on that man..
Old 01-30-2013, 06:08 AM
Coffee Extraordinaire

Well 6.4 were pulled out so 6.2 went in.

Doesn't matter much though because once I get all the small stuff fixed to my liking I will be installing a few subs I the trunk.

I only paid $45 for all four.

Last edited by Espresso; 01-30-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Well 6.4 were pulled out so 6.2 went in.

Doesn't matter much though because once I get all the small stuff fixed to my liking I will be installing a few subs I the trunk.

I only paid $45 for all four.
ok then y worrie about that if you putting sub n trunk? idk maybe its just me. are you gonna use them as mids
Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Coffee Extraordinaire

I cannot do the subs until after my shoulder surgery, fix a PS leak, sunroof rear drain & the headliner. THEN about that time my daughter will be born. So in June or so I will worry about low end. I already have the amps, etc. Just cannot lift it all. When & if I feel up to it, I will do it.

I also still have my Suburban project to finish.

Right now I have the rear deck plastic sitting on my dining room table. This stuff is easy for me I just have a hard time right now due to a severely degraded left shoulder, but my son helps me most of the time. Putting in the deck subs just because I want to. Considering I had to take the old ones out because they sounded absolutely horrible(have to remove the plastic to disconnect the harness at the back). Having to reglue the fabric, c-pillars, headliner etc it is only an extra hour to cut plastic. I have nothing but time right now. Better get it all done before the baby is born

Obviously not earth shattering, but anything is better then speakers just making noise because they are blown & cannot move.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
I cannot do the subs until after my shoulder surgery, fix a PS leak, sunroof rear drain & the headliner. THEN about that time my daughter will be born. So in June or so I will worry about low end. I already have the amps, etc. Just cannot lift it all. When & if I feel up to it, I will do it.

I also still have my Suburban project to finish.

Right now I have the rear deck plastic sitting on my dining room table. This stuff is easy for me I just have a hard time right now due to a severely degraded left shoulder, but my son helps me most of the time. Putting in the deck subs just because I want to. Considering I had to take the old ones out because they sounded absolutely horrible(have to remove the plastic to disconnect the harness at the back). Having to reglue the fabric, c-pillars, headliner etc it is only an extra hour to cut plastic. I have nothing but time right now. Better get it all done before the baby is born

Obviously not earth shattering, but anything is better then speakers just making noise because they are blown & cannot move.
nice man keep the good work up... if i stayed closer i wld help.. i own my own car audio business so its nothing for us
Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 AM
M is my favorite letter!

Mein Auto: 2000 740i m-sport
Where did you buy the new ones, at 45$ for 4 I'd like to do mine. I don't want an earth shattering experience and would like to keep my trunk uncluttered. Thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Coffee Extraordinaire

I got them here locally. Not sure where they would be in the USA. The company is based out of Miami, Fl though.
Here are the ones I got. But mind you they are DEEPER than the originals so the plastic bottom needs to be cut out. I have a video of them in the car I am trying to upload. Youtube is being troublesome right now.

http://www.miyakocatalog.com/cat/pro...roducts_id=649