Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-30-2013, 05:41 PM
johntampa johntampa is offline
Registered User
Location: Tampa
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Car dealer sold me 335i claiming to have CPO

I was wondering if anyone has any comments on this.

I recently bought a 2008 335i and was told that it had CPO and that there was about 1 year and half of warranty left.

I ended up buying the car only to find out today, day 6 of ownership, that in fact there is no CPO. To make matters worse, it turns out I have a number of things that need to be repaired on what was supposed to be a clean car.

The transmission was leaking, the washer fluid pump needs to be replaced, bulbs in the headlights need to be replaced, and there was some oil in the engine that the BMW service were suspicious about.

Since, I don't have any recourse I went ahead and had them do these repairs except for the washer fluid pump.
So that's $1,000+ today, and $400 for the wind washer pump which wasn't urgent and was leaking slowly. Also, they said they didn't see an oil leak and think the oil may be there from a prior oil change, however I feel like there might be some other serious issue going on.


The problem is that the salesman that sold me the car told me the car was worth 2K more because of the CPO and was using that as a selling point to get a better deal. Since I took his word that car had CPO, I didn't feel the need to go get the car checked out immediatley, which would have allowed me to get get out of the contract.

The salesman also told me the car was clean because the certification process requires that.

So I am on day 6, do I have an recourse? I haven't contacted the car sales place but I was wondering what my best course of action is?

Is there anything I can do?
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM
sunny5280 sunny5280 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,610
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntampa View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any comments on this.

I recently bought a 2008 335i and was told that it had CPO and that there was about 1 year and half of warranty left.

I ended up buying the car only to find out today, day 6 of ownership, that in fact there is no CPO. To make matters worse, it turns out I have a number of things that need to be repaired on what was supposed to be a clean car.

The transmission was leaking, the washer fluid pump needs to be replaced, bulbs in the headlights need to be replaced, and there was some oil in the engine that the BMW service were suspicious about.

Since, I don't have any recourse I went ahead and had them do these repairs except for the washer fluid pump.
So that's $1,000+ today, and $400 for the wind washer pump which wasn't urgent and was leaking slowly. Also, they said they didn't see an oil leak and think the oil may be there from a prior oil change, however I feel like there might be some other serious issue going on.


The problem is that the salesman that sold me the car told me the car was worth 2K more because of the CPO and was using that as a selling point to get a better deal. Since I took his word that car had CPO, I didn't feel the need to go get the car checked out immediatley, which would have allowed me to get get out of the contract.

The salesman also told me the car was clean because the certification process requires that.

So I am on day 6, do I have an recourse? I haven't contacted the car sales place but I was wondering what my best course of action is?

Is there anything I can do?
Unless you have something in writing I'm afraid you have little recourse. My advice would be to speak with the selling dealer and see if you can work something out. Be nice as they'll be more likely to work with you. If they refuse chalk this up to experience and let it go.

It's never fun to buy a new vehicle and then have to immediately spend money to fix unexpected problems. Hopefully this will be all the repairs necessary for quite a while and you can put this behind you.

But I have to ask: $400 to replace the windshield washer pump?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 PM
lqaddict's Avatar
lqaddict lqaddict is online now
Salz und Pfeffer
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 912
Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Who did you buy your car from? You should look up your locality legal code for implied warranty on the used cars, some states regulate used car market and the implied warranty periods and require the dealerships to have a customer signed order to refuse the warranty, I.e. sold "as is" to void implied warranty. Did you signed any such papers?
Find out if you have the implied warranty on your car and the terms, and then take it with the schmucks who sold you a junker.
Good luck.
__________________
BMW CCA Member 454031
Save the manuals

Last edited by lqaddict; 01-30-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:12 PM
johntampa johntampa is offline
Registered User
Location: Tampa
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: 2008 335i
I live in Florida and I believe I have 3 days in which I could void the contract.

I traded in a G35 to buy this 335. I hardly ever had problems with the G, but I had 140,000 miles.

So I am really flaberghasted that a 37,000 mile BMW could have all these problems already.

At this rate it seems like I better buy an extended warranty.

On the positive side, the car itself is really sweet, and looks awesome and has some serious power w/ all the extras.

I thought BMWs were supposed to be reliable, but I don't have that feeling right now.

Also, I really feel the bumps on the road which is kind of disappointing.

Initially I was very happy after purchasing this car, but now I'm kind of leery about how often things are going to break down on this vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:35 PM
sunny5280 sunny5280 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,610
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntampa View Post
I live in Florida and I believe I have 3 days in which I could void the contract.
Unlikely. "Buyers Remorse" laws tend to apply only to home solicitations (i.e. where they come to your home). I'd investigate if Florida has a buyers remorse law and what it applies to. I wouldn't be surprised to learn you have no recourse under this law. That's the way it is here in Colorado and it's widely misunderstood. Enough so the last few vehicles I purchased specifically had a document I had to sign stating what the law covered and that I undestood as much.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:40 PM
sunny5280 sunny5280 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,610
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntampa View Post
I thought BMWs were supposed to be reliable, but I don't have that feeling right now.
Don't let this be indicative of the quality of BMW. With so few miles it may be the prior owner didn't take good care of the vehicle. Or you just happened to get a bad one.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:15 PM
ptrcd003 ptrcd003 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 560
Mein Auto: 328i LCI
Did you not get the CPO in writing? Did you not even call a BMW dealer and verify that the vehicle is still under warranty?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:17 PM
johntampa johntampa is offline
Registered User
Location: Tampa
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Unfortunately I didn't get it writing. I guess I am too trusting of people.

The dealer did confirm no CPO.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 PM
mr29 mr29 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ohio
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 574
Mein Auto: bmw
if you have 3 days grace still take the car back and after its all signed and etc call the bbb on the dealership they took you for a sucker

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 PM
johntampa johntampa is offline
Registered User
Location: Tampa
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: 2008 335i
The funny thing is I sort of liked the sales guy because he wasn't pressuring me to buy the car.

I don't know if he just made an honest mistake, but I really don't how he could have mistaken it as having CPO.

So I will go back and be cordial about it and see if he will do something for me.
If it was an honest mistake maybe he can offer me something, but I can't imagine they would compensate me with some type of refund.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntampa View Post
The funny thing is I sort of liked the sales guy because he wasn't pressuring me to buy the car.

I don't know if he just made an honest mistake, but I really don't how he could have mistaken it as having CPO.

So I will go back and be cordial about it and see if he will do something for me.
If it was an honest mistake maybe he can offer me something, but I can't imagine they would compensate me with some type of refund.

>AHEM<

The best con man is the one you just know is a good guy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Salesman 001.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	359932

Realize:
  • The people you purchased from are dung
  • They lied, and will lie again
  • Talk is so cheap that it's worth nothing at all
So, now, NO FEAR! Ask for compensation, i.e. fix the problems, the best you can hope for. After you get all you can get, keep complaining to them that the car was sold to you with issues, issues not disclosed, and contact govt types as may apply as well as a scorching Yelp review and notice on all BMW boards.

Serve it up cold.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 PM
mr29 mr29 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ohio
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 574
Mein Auto: bmw
from my under standing the cpo is removed by the bmw dealer so the dealer knew full well what was up before he sold it to you

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 PM
sunny5280 sunny5280 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,610
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr29 View Post
from my under standing the cpo is removed by the bmw dealer so the dealer knew full well what was up before he sold it to you
Do we know the selling dealer was a BMW dealer?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:08 PM
mryakanisachoad's Avatar
mryakanisachoad mryakanisachoad is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: brooklyn,ny
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 570
Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Unhappy

That's messed up

Car salesmen never seem to do the right thing

Last edited by mryakanisachoad; 01-30-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 PM
mryakanisachoad's Avatar
mryakanisachoad mryakanisachoad is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: brooklyn,ny
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 570
Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Small Claims Court is your friend...


Car dealerships hate small claims court because everyone hates used car salesmen if you know what I mean ...

Last edited by mryakanisachoad; 01-30-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-31-2013, 03:19 AM
deanpeterson deanpeterson is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 3 Series 328328i
Scary - buying a car from a dealer is just painful! So many angles and upgrades - rather go to the dentist! Used to be guys you could pay to go in and do it eh!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-31-2013, 06:36 AM
chris328's Avatar
chris328 chris328 is offline
unbekannt
Location: Hell
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
i see this happening all the time / similar posts. so many sketchy car dealers out there. i knew this kid once and his dad was a car dealer, the kid turned out to be a huge prick. i would never buy a used bmw.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 AM
deanpeterson deanpeterson is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 3 Series 328328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328 View Post
i see this happening all the time / similar posts. so many sketchy car dealers out there. i knew this kid once and his dad was a car dealer, the kid turned out to be a huge prick. i would never buy a used bmw.
But buying new is as bad isn't it - the upsells and the warranty and what about the magic spray in the interior so lasts 30 years and on and on! I googled but can't find anyone that does this for you now - I know there was a business created because people hate dealing with car guys period! Last time I bought new - was under warranty BUT every time I went there I had to do things to keep the warranty up - flush this - drain that - I check my receipts at the end of the year as I work for myself - am out $1,500 for getting oil changes and keep up warranty! After that I went to mr lube - dealership is on big push to fix it all - money is in service - manger of service is on huge kickback bonus program! Makes me want to buy a horse!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-31-2013, 07:12 AM
chris328's Avatar
chris328 chris328 is offline
unbekannt
Location: Hell
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
yeah well i should probably say that isn't true for ALL dealers. i lease and the guy i went through was cool. i am about to get a house so buying is not in my cards.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-01-2013, 06:39 AM
vrmoreno3 vrmoreno3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Alabama
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 68
Mein Auto: 2008 335i
I read as much as I could. If bought from a BMW dealer, they typically always CPO a used car if is within the time frame for doing so. Also, I think only BMW dealers can CPO a BMW, your ordinary used car dealer or any other dealer cannot do this to another manufactures vehicle.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM
furby076's Avatar
furby076 furby076 is online now
IntarWeb Stalker
Location: 95 Feet Under
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,940
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Document everything. Document your conversation (so you can recall it).
1) Go to sales manager, be nice, and explain the situation. in all honesty if the guy claimed it state that. Also, if a week after you bought it all these things broke then they knew about it - but be nice. Cause it won't help if you are not. The sales manager might help. Back in 2000 I bought a dodge intrepid and the sales person said I would get a CD player installed and to bring car back a week after I bought it. I bought the car and the sales person decided that was not part of the deal. I spoke with the sales manager, he reamed out the sales person, and installed a cd player. So yes this can work
2) If it doesn't work check the laws and call a lawyer and go to court. Don't mention law or court to the sales manager...if you do he will shut down
3) If step 1 doesn't fail also contact BBB and file a claim


EDIT: AFTER you do step 1, come back here and tell us the name of dealership and sales person so we can avoid that place and person. If the manager fixed it no need to do so
__________________
"Booberry" -ED 2013 335xi | B45 | ZMM | ZDA |Heated Seats | HK |EBII
My Drive Style

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 PM
sunny5280 sunny5280 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,610
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
EDIT: AFTER you do step 1, come back here and tell us the name of dealership and sales person so we can avoid that place and person. If the manager fixed it no need to do so
I'll probably catch hell for this because I did the last time I suggested this but what is to say the OP didn't misunderstand the situation? We only have his side of the story. Not trying to blame the OP but it's unheard of for a buyer to be thinking one thing and the seller another.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 AM
furby076's Avatar
furby076 furby076 is online now
IntarWeb Stalker
Location: 95 Feet Under
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,940
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
I'll probably catch hell for this because I did the last time I suggested this but what is to say the OP didn't misunderstand the situation? We only have his side of the story. Not trying to blame the OP but it's unheard of for a buyer to be thinking one thing and the seller another.
I understand what you are saying. What if the OP is wrong or mistaken? Well, we have no way to tell. We could argue, all day long, possible *IF* scenarios. What's the point? Without the dealer providing their statement (obviously won't happen) our words/thoughts/etc would be worth less than poop.

This is an issue we see all the time. People want to chime in with their two cents and argue with zero knowledge. Right now the only knowledge to this situation is the one the OP provided. As such, we can either offer advice (which is probably what he/she wants), we can do nothing, or we can argue with him with zero knowledge of the situation. We would be correct with option 1 or 2, and 100% incorrect with option 3.
__________________
"Booberry" -ED 2013 335xi | B45 | ZMM | ZDA |Heated Seats | HK |EBII
My Drive Style

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 AM
sunny5280 sunny5280 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,610
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
I understand what you are saying. What if the OP is wrong or mistaken? Well, we have no way to tell. We could argue, all day long, possible *IF* scenarios. What's the point? Without the dealer providing their statement (obviously won't happen) our words/thoughts/etc would be worth less than poop.

This is an issue we see all the time. People want to chime in with their two cents and argue with zero knowledge. Right now the only knowledge to this situation is the one the OP provided. As such, we can either offer advice (which is probably what he/she wants), we can do nothing, or we can argue with him with zero knowledge of the situation. We would be correct with option 1 or 2, and 100% incorrect with option 3.
I would argue option 1 is really no different than option 3. We're offering advice on the assumption the OP was misled by the dealer. As it is it has been my observation most accusations of being misled tend to be more about misunderstanding. Without hearing the dealers side of the story our advice is based on incomplete information and therefore just as worthless.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 AM
furby076's Avatar
furby076 furby076 is online now
IntarWeb Stalker
Location: 95 Feet Under
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,940
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
I would argue option 1 is really no different than option 3. We're offering advice on the assumption the OP was misled by the dealer. As it is it has been my observation most accusations of being misled tend to be more about misunderstanding. Without hearing the dealers side of the story our advice is based on incomplete information and therefore just as worthless.
That's where I disagree.
Option 1 is giving advice based on the assumption the OPs story is correct
Option 3 is giving advice based on the assumption that our imagination is correct

Option 1 advice is based on someones account (true or false)
Option 3 advice is based on pure fiction

We are giving advice on the assumption the OP is right. To be honest, going the other route could spawn of hundreds of potential stories and answers. What if the OP dated the sales agent and the sales agent broke their heart. So the OP is lying. What if the OP just wants to be mean to the dealer cause the dealer didn't give them coffee. What if the OP is just trolling. What if the OP was told the car is not CPO, but is deciding to spin a different story. What if the OP is an Audi fan and wants to make BMW look bad? The list can go on. What does it matter to us? If we give the OP advice based on he/she tells us then the OP can do what he/she wants with it and moves along. If we are argue with the OP, on something that we have no argumentative basis, then we are getting nowhere. We can come up with arguments all day and we have no facts.

put it this way. In a court of law. If the OP was in court, you and I were in court, and the dealer was not in court. The judge would laugh at you and me and kick us out. The OP would tell his/her story, and without the dealer being in court the OP would win.
__________________
"Booberry" -ED 2013 335xi | B45 | ZMM | ZDA |Heated Seats | HK |EBII
My Drive Style

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cpo sales legal


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms