Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1989 325i
Possible Vacuum Leak?

If my '89 325i is going down a hill, and I'm not pushing the throttle, eventually the check engine light will pop on. It also happens when it's idling after it has been running for more than five minutes. The fault code is 1222, which is lambda control 1. This however, doesn't tell me too much, just that it's running either too rich or too lean for longer than 10 seconds. What is the best way to trouble shoot and find the problem?

To my understanding this could be a defective engine temp sensor, bad injector valve, incorrect fuel pressure, secondary air leak, defective air flow meter, bad compression, or bad intake valves. I would hope something as simple as replacing the O2 sensor would do the trick, but I'm thinking it's a vacuum leak somewhere and I don't know how to find it.
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 PM

Another detail I forgot to mention, as soon as the check engine light comes on, any increase in throttle will turn the light off immediately. If I'm at a traffic light and the light pops on, a small rev of the engine turns the light off.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:54 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
well the 2 tests that you could do to help diag the problem would be a fuel pressure test and a vacuum test. thatll knock out a few possible problems. the other thing, the car could just need a tune up. new plugs, cap and rotor.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 AM

It has new plugs and filters. All fluids are good to go. Cap and rotor hasn't been checked yet though. How does one go about performing a vacuum test and a fuel pressure test? If it's a complex answer I'll just Google it.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:01 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
vacuum test just get the tool and plug a t fitting into a vacuum line and start engine.

fuel pressure is remove fuel line post filter (or entering fuel rail) put t fitting in and attach tool and start engine.

they are pretty easy tests. hardest part is getting the tools.