Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: GTI
X3 q5

Probably the wrong forum, but can anyone recommend any good comparison videos of the X3 35i and the Q5 3.0T?
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i GC pending
You may want to search YouTube but I suspect there will be few (if any) videos for the Q5 3.0T. I just hit the dealer lots (states) around mid December. Look at some of the Audi forums including AudiWorld and Audizine. The former, it seems, has more activity for the Q5 where Zine is better for the S/RS series.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Pretty early for that -- but those are good sites. I am still looking for a (US spec) Q5 TDI review with no luck.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 PM

Looked around. Most are the "look what the four wheel drive does on rollers" videos. That doesn't answer my questions on acceleration, handling, etc.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 AM

Those roller videos are a joke. Like the "obstacle course" at Land Rover dealers. Google your question, you should get some results there -- but probably not videos, just reports/first drives/etc.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:10 PM

So, I've driven both extensively. I find the Q5 to be more "car-like" with softer handling, brake pedal and interior detail. The X3 is more truck-like with stiffer handling, brake pedal and austere interior detail. The navigation system on the X3 is light years ahead of the Q5 with better controls, detail, screen size and input control.

Best of both worlds? Q5 supercharged 3.0 V6 with BMW brakes, BMW i-Drive and BMW service converage (why should I have to pay an extra $820 for Audi service contract).
Old 02-08-2013, 01:52 PM

The cost of the "free maintenance" is built into the BMW purchase price. Nothing is really "free" -- except food stamps, EBT cards, and "free" cell phones.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennk View Post
...I find the Q5 to be more "car-like" with softer handling, brake pedal and interior detail. The X3 is more truck-like with stiffer handling, brake pedal and austere interior detail. The navigation system on the X3 is light years ahead of the Q5 with better controls, detail, screen size and input control....
I drove both back to back except my Q5 was a hybrid. I liked the Q5 much better. The X3 was less comfortable but I felt no more connected to the road. I would only consider it with the DHP option to get the softer Comfort suspension setting for long trips. But unfortunately, a chunk of the poor ride is the tires.

Contrary to your experience, I especially liked the Audi Navi better. ([EDIT] THe CA said the BMW Navi was the new version but I am not sure.) I felt it required too many interactions. The voice enabled Google search on the Audi was great.

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 02-08-2013 at 04:54 PM.