Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Sedan
How to identify potential engine/tranny issues when test driving

Rookie here! I don't know much about cars, but I do know what I like!!

I'm planning on doing some 2011 3 series sedan test driving this weekend, but needed some tips. Can anyone throw out a few tips I should keep in mind while test driving? I'm concerned I might oversee an engine and/or transmission (auto) issue. The few of issues I thought about were:

1) Does the engine sound normal,
2) With my foot on the brake, does the car shift smoothely when changing gears from Park, Reverse and Drive, and
3) Do the gears shift smoothely when accelerating.

Does anyone think I missed anything else crucial?
Ads by Google
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
If it is a 2011 and less than 50K miles you have BMWs 4 year/ 50K mile bumper to bumper warranty so anything not normal can be covered. Strongly suggest driving some at the dealership to get a feel for what is normal. No one here can tell you what to look for regarding engine and transmission operation. You never said manual or automatic, 328 or 335. Do more research to understand the differences between those two cars and drill down to what makes sense for your requirements. Take your time, repeat take your time, and post what you observe when you drive the cars after getting some test seat time.
Again you have little to be concerned about since you will have factory warranty.
If you are not a DIY guy you need to establish a relationship with good independent BMW shop once you are out of factory warranty or better yet seek out a CPO car, Certified Pre-Owned which is at the dealership. That will get you 6 years from date of delivery and 100K miles coverage whichever comes first...