Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 02-06-2013, 02:23 AM

Mein Auto: 83 E28
Unhappy My 2 rear windows are very slow.

its very frustrating. if i roll either of them all the way down sometimes they fail to even respond at first. has anyone already went through and solved this? anything helps, i just want to be able to use my rear windows and not have to be nervous. all help is greatly appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 02-11-2013, 02:35 AM
What was that noise??

Mein Auto: E28 M535i, E30 323i
Hi, not heaps but some info spread around the interwebs on this topic.
The rear windows, from what I know are designed to move (close) slower than the front. But not that slow where they creep up.
Several issues need to be addressed in order to cover all culprits.

1/ Sticky Regulators.
Remove the door cards and vapour barrier after you read this: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=654966 and then remove (with a degreaser) what will appear to be gunked up factory issue grease from the regulators.
Apparently it gets quite gluggy and solidifies to a point over time. Remember you are dealing with a 30 year old car.

Then regrease all pivot points and moving parts on the reg with lithium grease. This is a light duty grease typically colored white which is also used on door hinges, hood hinges & latch etc. I remember also reading where it was recommended to use a teflon spray. The main point here is to remove the old grease, clean and replace it.

2/ Window Switches.
Also if you haven't done it, you should pull the switch units out from the centre console and polish up the contacts which can deteriorate over time. Take a read of this, take it easy and don't break anything: http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=21355

3/ Window door guide rubber with felt guide.
After completing the above two steps and you still have no luck (unlikely) then you may want to r & r the door felt guides: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...23&postcount=2

GL and report back and let us know how you went resolving this pain in the butt problem.

Cheers,
PB
Old 02-15-2013, 01:33 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Try swapping your window switches first, then clean and lubricate the rubber and felt guides with some good spray silicone libricant. The worst case would require you to take the door panel off, inspect, clean and relubricate the window regulator mechanism.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:01 AM
What was that noise??

Mein Auto: E28 M535i, E30 323i
Curious to know how the OP got on.
Did you fix your window probs?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 04 525i & 84 533i
Cleaning and lubricating the window regulator mechanism made a huge difference when I did mines.