Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-09-2013, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 325i
DSC-BRAKE-ABS problem

so for a couple days my dcs, abs and brake light in red would pop up.... then I would shut the car down and the lights would go away after a few feet of driving. This happened for a couple days and now the three lights are always on. then the service engine light came on the same day that the three lights stayed illuminated. I cleaned the Wheel speed sensors and that didnt seem to fix anything. Wires all looked good after I inspected them aswell, even though Im sure there could still be an internal problem.

I still have my gauges all working correctly, and brake fluid is at correct level... and E-brake is down

Any other ideas before I take it in to get checked out?

Last edited by RyanBMW17; 02-09-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Have to troubleshoot your wheel speed sensors. Find out if one is bad.

Best to pull codes asap.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Coupe OR Never

Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
One of the wheel speed sensors (if you are lucky)
Or
DSC pressure sensor (mounted on master cylinder.) Not expensive or difficult to replace. Just need to bleed the system properly.
Or
ABS module (mounted on master cylinder as well). If this is the case, you will have to look at the rebuild options. Buying a new one is not much of an option
Old 02-10-2013, 02:40 PM

Ill take it in this week, is buying a new one not an option because of the expense? or is it something hard to come buy, or another reason?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Coupe OR Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBMW17 View Post
Ill take it in this week, is buying a new one not an option because of the expense? or is it something hard to come buy, or another reason?
I think the new ones running for a few grand. Don't know why it is so expensive.

When it happened to mine, it was the DSC pressure sensor (about $100 part).
When it happened to my friend, it was the ABS module. He sent it in for a rebuild. It cost him about $200 including the shipping etc. And I think they warranty it for at least a year. He put the rebuilt one in and all the lights disappeared.

Are you taking the car to BMW service? I would try to get the codes read somewhere else first to see what they are. Your car will drive like that no problem. Your brakes will function. You just won't have the ABS and DSC systems. That's all.

Keep us posted...

Last edited by iskoos; 02-10-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:54 PM

well whenever I have taken it to an autozone to get it read... ive been told they cant read it because a computer is burned out or some other matter. I have taken to atleast 6 autozones just to besure and none could read it. But that just could be they are using a basic scanner,but im not sure. Is there anywhere else to take it that you know of. I would rather repair the car if I can save money.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Coupe OR Never

Quote:
well whenever I have taken it to an autozone to get it read... ive been told they cant read it because a computer is burned out or some other matter. I have taken to atleast 6 autozones just to besure and none could read it. But that just could be they are using a basic scanner,but im not sure. Is there anywhere else to take it that you know of. I would rather repair the car if I can save money.
Well actually those autozone scanners will probably not be able to pinpoint the problem.
I have one of those simple scanners. When I scanned my friend's car, it found bunch of codes including one for wheel speed sensor, one for tranny etc. But then we took the car to an indy shop. There they used a laptop to diagnose the car and they found that the ABS module was defective. Once the module is bad it causes several codes to show up.
If it was me, I would first try to check the wheel speed sensors and see if any of them defective. Checking is not very difficult but not very easy either (at least time consuming).
Then try to find an indy shop with a proper diagnostic tool to scan it. You have time; driving the car in that condition will not hurt anything. I drove mine for about 2 months before getting it fixed.

Last edited by iskoos; 02-10-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:53 PM

Thursday is the earliest I will have time to get any codes read, If this is a wheel sensor or some other easy fix. When I replace it, will the dash lights shut off on their own or will I need to have them cleared?
Old 02-11-2013, 04:28 PM

I was also thinking about buying a peake tool to view the codes myself... does this seem like a good idea?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Coupe OR Never

I never used that tool. For a simple code reader, it is a lot of money. And for the problem you are having, it may not give you much info.
For the amount of money you will spend for that little gizmo, you can build more usable diagnostic tool if you have a laptop handy.
Search here and you will find the info you need. There is a thread that explains how to do this set up.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i W/O CDV
I know it sounds ridiculous, but I had a similar experience when my battery was dying. Replaced it, issue resolved.

If I remember correctly, most auto parts stores can check the battery's output.

Los Angeles BMWCCA Member#415991

Last edited by whinojosa; 02-12-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:19 PM

yes I have also read that the battery could be an issue. Mine seems fine but a test could never hurt. I believe the car will tell me the volts if I hold the left gauge button down and turn the ignition on and cycle through the setting correct? I have been in there to reset my inspection before.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 PM

iskoos there is no link in your post from what I can see
Old 02-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Coupe OR Never

Quote:
iskoos there is no link in your post from what I can see
Hi, There was no link in my previous post. I said you could find it by searching. But here you go:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=code+reader

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...st+code+reader

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...iagnostic+tool