Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 318i
Any ideas where this oil leak is coming from?

I started to notice drips of oil on my garage floor in the last few months and finally lifted the car to see where this leak is coming from. By looking under I cannot determine exactly where is the leak. By looking in the engine compartment down, there is nothing visible to tell me an oil leak. So where is this leak coming from? Rear main seal? Oil filter gasket? What are the typical oil leaks that would cause this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(15).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	361665  
Old 02-10-2013, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 528i
I'm in the same boat. Check by the oil filter housing area, that's where mine appears to be forming. I will tackle it once this miserable winter leaves NY already.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Be american, get a bimmer

Mein Auto: 00' 540i, 87' benz 300DT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgreene39 View Post
I'm in the same boat. Check by the oil filter housing area, that's where mine appears to be forming. I will tackle it once this miserable winter leaves NY already.
you aint lying... im tired of winter. Helpfully spring comes soon!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Clean your engine really well and then watch for the leak. At this point, it could be from ANYWHERE.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 95 525iT w/S52, 03 530i
I am in process of solving a similar problem with my 530i. Oil pan has been wet for 2-3 months but source is not obvious from below. Try looking under the valve cover on the block to see if there is any obvious signs of leakage. You can do this from the engine bay with a flashlight. In particular, look at the engine block behind the oil filter housing and under the intake manifold. This will definitely require a flashlight. My problem is at least partially due to a failing CCV system that must have been cracked and was leaking oil onto the block. I may also have an oil filter housing gasket leak but no way to tell yet. The CCV on my car failed big time ~10 days ago and I was suddenly burning tons of oil. I replaced the CCV and all hoses this week and found the engine block behind the oil filter housing and underneath the intake manifold was covered in oil. I also found the power steering hoses are leaking and contributing to what is dripping from my car. The best way to inspect these is to drop the plastic cover underneath the engine. My car has about 130K miles on it.

Last edited by mda185; 02-10-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mda185 View Post
I am in process of solving a similar problem with my 530i. Oil pan has been wet for 2-3 months but source is not obvious from below. Try looking under the valve cover on the block to see if there is any obvious signs of leakage. You can do this from the engine bay with a flashlight. In particular, look at the engine block behind the oil filter housing and under the intake manifold. This will definitely require a flashlight. My problem is at least partially due to a failing CCV system that must have been cracked and was leaking oil onto the block. I may also have an oil filter housing gasket leak but no way to tell yet. The CCV on my car failed big time ~10 days ago and I was suddenly burning tons of oil. I replaced the CCV and all hoses this week and found the engine block behind the oil filter housing and underneath the intake manifold was covered in oil. I also found the power steering hoses are leaking and contributing to what is dripping from my car. The best way to inspect these is to drop the plastic cover underneath the engine. My car has about 130K miles on it.
Im at 130K now also. Dealer replaced the Oil filter gasket maybe 3-4 years ago. My CCV is new. My Valve cover gasket is still orginal and I will focus on that. Will definitley go over the engine with a flashlight more thorough. Thanks