Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 02-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Drivetrain Malfunction... Again!!!

So, exactly one month later I get the same error and scary as #*%$ trembling feeling throughout the car.

I got out of the car for about 25 minutes around lunchtime today, put it in reverse, rolled back about 3 feet, then all hell broke loose. I got a ding, an engine light, a "drivetrain malfunction" iDrive message, the car switched to neutral, and started vibrating and making a shaky noise. I couldn't change to drive or reverse, so I finally got it in park and killed the engine. I waited a few seconds, restarted it, and it started normally and did fine. I was going to go straight to the dealer, but I called and couldn't get a loaner right away. I had to be back at work in 30 minutes, so I decided to hold off. I'm planning on taking it in tomorrow to see what they say.

The same exact thing happened on January 16th. They attributed it to low power steering fluid, reset the system, and topped it off. No idea if that's what's going on here or if that was a coincidental finding.

This is really getting frustrating. In the last month I've had to bring my car in 3 times with problems! I haven't gotten stranded or anything horrible, so I'm not too irate, but this is getting ridiculous...

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Ads by Google
Old 02-15-2013, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Time to trade it in for a new 2014 coming in March.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:38 AM

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
Southern,

Sorry to hear that. I have been around cars along time & can't imagine low power steering fluid could possibly cause those serious symptoms. As a interested potential 6er buyer I have been reading these forums for almost a year, and must say the 2012 model does seem to have quite a few complaints
of these kind of problems- " drivetrain malfunction" could mean almost anything, but fuel pump issues is probably the most common one I have read. Good luck - let us know how you make out.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
This Drive train Malfunction is way too common across the board. My wife's X6 too.

BMW XDrive is crap. I'm not saying it to taunt you or argue with you. I'm saying it because it occurs way too often to so many BMW XDrive models.

I hope this issue gets resolved.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App
Old 02-16-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Southern,

Sorry to hear that. I have been around cars along time & can't imagine low power steering fluid could possibly cause those serious symptoms. As a interested potential 6er buyer I have been reading these forums for almost a year, and must say the 2012 model does seem to have quite a few complaints
of these kind of problems- " drivetrain malfunction" could mean almost anything, but fuel pump issues is probably the most common one I have read. Good luck - let us know how you make out.
I've been paying attention (for my own interest) to this issue and the common denominator seems to be XDrive. A lot of complaints about that in the F10 forum as well and the F10 is not a new model.

I think BMW just doesn't want to admit it

Old 02-16-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
This Drive train Malfunction is way too common across the board. My wife's X6 too.

BMW XDrive is crap. I'm not saying it to taunt you or argue with you. I'm saying it because it occurs way too often to so many BMW XDrive models.

I hope this issue gets resolved.
I also recall others having similar messages. Didn't TopDown have a similar issue a few months ago?

I hope they actually do something this time and not just put a BandAid on it. Three times in a month is excessive, especially since they don't have a loaner for me. Arranging to be picked up and brought back is extremely inconvenient. When they call Monday I'm going to try to ascertain whether or not they did anything to fix the underlying cause rather than clearing the errors and topping off my fluids. If not, then I think I might have to have a chat with the Service manager.

Any other suggestions for dealing with this kind of situation? This is all new to me.

Nice little dig at the xDrive, Itin. Shoulda expected that. lol. I suppose it could be the cause. All I know is it's scary as hell, and a nondescript message tells you to drive cautiously.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD

Last edited by southern6er22; 02-16-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:10 PM

I would go right to the service manager + demand a loaner. This is a $100,000 premium car not a Chevy Impala. Good points about the Idrive, I have not spent much time in the other model boards- so it could be a common denominator. But I still don't believe for a minute the symptoms your describing area low fluid levels.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
I also recall others having similar messages. Didn't TopDown have a similar issue a few months ago?

I hope they actually do something this time and not just put a BandAid on it. Three times in a month is excessive, especially since they don't have a loaner for me. Arranging to be picked up and brought back is extremely inconvenient. When they call Monday I'm going to try to ascertain whether or not they did anything to fix the underlying cause rather than clearing the errors and topping off my fluids. If not, then I think I might have to have a chat with the Service manager.

Any other suggestions for dealing with this kind of situation? This is all new to me.

Nice little dig at the xDrive, Itin. Shoulda expected that. lol. I suppose it could be the cause. All I know is it's scary as hell, and a nondescript message tells you to drive cautiously.
Nah man lol. I'm not trying to taunt you. This is a serious issue that needs immediate attention from BMW. I may be wrong but from what I read, it seems to be an issue isolated to Xdrive.

I don't know about what can be done with a car owned outright. My guess is that it gets a little tougher since BMW doesn't own it and now it's in your best interest, not theirs. I know in leasing, you can request a trade assist and dealerships would rather do that than Lemon the car since they own it. I'm more savvy in leasing. I never owned a brand new car before so I can't help you much. All I know is, research the laws in your area. Be firm with the dealership in what you want. Get corporate involved if need be. Good luck!

Last edited by Itinj6; 02-16-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:16 PM

Thanks! I'm hoping its just a minor issue that will require a simple part switch as opposed to having to use "the L word" lol. I haven't been left stranded or put in a dangerous situation because of it, so I'm trying to be patient and polite for now. That being said, I doubt I'll take the car back until they have convinced me they actually did something to correct the underlying problem.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Mine was fuel injectors... First one bank and then the other a few months later.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650 x-drive m-sport
"Ctrl, alt and delete"!! I believe that these cars are just over-computerized. I can remember at least a half dozen times in the past two cars I owned that shutting down and restarting cleared everything and the car was fine.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post
Mine was fuel injectors... First one bank and then the other a few months later.
How long did it take to fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie99 View Post
"Ctrl, alt and delete"!! I believe that these cars are just over-computerized. I can remember at least a half dozen times in the past two cars I owned that shutting down and restarting cleared everything and the car was fine.
I'm with you on the merit of Ctrl+Alt+Delete given my unofficial capacity as JV tech support at work. My age means I get called every time a toolbar goes missing or a computer freezes. FML. But I digress. #notbitter

Unfortunately, the reoccurrence coupled with the physical manifestation and the error message worry me that there may be more to it than just a fluke.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 F10 550xi M-Sport
My buddy had this issue on his 2011 550 rear wheel drive and his 2012 550 xdrive. He lemoned both and now drives an X6 which had a drive train malfunction error code pop up as well. I had this issue on my 2012 550 xi and the way it was fixed after they changed the low pressure fuel sensor and low pressure fuel pump was they finally changed all injectors and spark plugs. I never had the problem appear again after that.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Why would the car vibrate and make noise in neutral if it's an X-drive issue? In neutral the engine is decoupled from the rest of the drivetrain. A vibration is more likely a fuel, spark, related sensor or computer problem. For your sake Southern, I hope it's just another fluke. I had a similar issue with my E39 M5. I disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes, then reconnected and never had the problem again.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 650 x-drive m-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
Why would the car vibrate and make noise in neutral if it's an X-drive issue? In neutral the engine is decoupled from the rest of the drivetrain. A vibration is more likely a fuel, spark, related sensor or computer problem. For your sake Southern, I hope it's just another fluke. I had a similar issue with my E39 M5. I disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes, then reconnected and never had the problem again.
Bonz, this would show that there was no "mechanical" issue and puts the blame squarely on the computer.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 AM

Fuel and spark issues can be something other than the computer. Didn't Southern say iDrive indicated "drivetrain malfunction"? Does that imply it's mechanical? TopDown had the injectors replaced. Could be anything in the drivetrain, hardware or software. But my point is, I doubt it's xDrive related if the car was shaking in neutral.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750li
I had drivetrain malfunction error but the error went away when the car was turned off for an hour but the check engine light stayed on. The next day the light was off. Brought it to BMW and they said the engine had two misfires. Had similar problems in my F02 and it was due to faulty spark plugs.

EDIT: The error above occurred in late December, I was just told what had happened and I don't think anything was done about it since the error went away. Earlier today, I received another drivetrain malfunction error. Both errors appeared after driving through stop-n-go traffic. I stopped soon after, went into Macys, came out thirty minutes later and error was gone. Car driving smoothly since. Will take the car in for service in a couple thousand miles to replace rear right tire and they can address the issue then.

Alpine White - Silverstone II Extended Merino Leather - Driver Assistance Package - Executive Package - 20" M light alloy wheels Style 343M - Bang & Olufsen Sound System - M Performance Black Kidney Grille

12 650i / 09 750li / 06 750li / 03 745li / 00 540i

Last edited by hammadurb; 02-18-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 PM

Question to those of you who have been with BMW for a while: Am I being unreasonable thinking that my dealer should have a loaner for me in the event of these malfunctions that require them to check out the car?

It is extremely inconvenient having to get a ride to and from the dealer when this occurs. We're talking about a $100k car that is just over a year old and, obviously, still fully covered under the warranty. I have my dad's truck for the time being, so I'm not truly high and dry. However, I paid them a lot of money to drive a BMW, and three times in the last 30 days I've had to go without my car (and be inconvenienced by pick-up/drop-off).

Is this a problem with my dealership or true of BMW across the country?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
No, you are entitled. Bigger dealers have more than a 3-series. Call BMW, NA for an equivalent car.

I just can't believe what you are experiencing with ths car! No wonder the true market depreciates them so heavily. No wonder I can't put pen to paper and hand over 100K. Better make a trade OR a dealer assist and lease your next 6er until you know you have a quality product.

Read into the lemon law requisites for your state.

Last edited by Ace535i; 02-18-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace535i View Post
No, you are entitled. Bigger dealers have more than a 3-series. Call BMW, NA for an equivalent car.

I just can't believe what you are experiencing with ths car! No wonder the true market depreciates them so heavily. No wonder I can't put pen to paper and hand over 100K. Better make a trade OR a dealer assist and lease your next 6er until you know you have a quality product.

Read into the lemon law requisites for your state.

I feel exactly the same. As much as I like the 6 series, the first year depreciation is a killer.
And the '12 model year seems to have had a large number of problems that don't sync with a $100K top of the line car. Hopefully the '13 ( and soon '14) will be better. But I do have a problem with both issues. Mercedes does not seem to have as many first year issues or as steep depreciation. Add it the trickle of important features ( new Idrive/soft close) I have not been able to bring myself to pull the trigger.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 AM

I have always been given a loaner with BMW even with my lower cost E92 M3. As long as I've scheduled in advance so that one is available.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
I have always been given a loaner with BMW even with my lower cost E92 M3. As long as I've scheduled in advance so that one is available.
What about impromptu events when the car had a problem and there isn't time to schedule for a loaner?

I can see not giving everyone a loaner for scheduled maintenance (unless booked in advance, like you said), but the unscheduled visits are a real problem.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 650
I think the free loaner decision is a dealer by dealer perk...usually dependent on if you bought the car new from that dealer. That said, you absolutely should receive a loaner while they diagnose problems with your $100K car that is still under factory warranty. If anyone deserves a loaner while their car is in the shop, it is perhaps the most helpful ambassador that the BMW 6 Series has on the information super highway. You know, the guy that helps the rest of us figure out how the car's technology actually works in the real world. Unacceptable.

Even if they don't have a BMW for you due to last minute nature they need to pay for Enterprise or Hertz or something if you bought the car new from them....we have so many dealers here in SoCal that the free loaner perk seems ubiquitous as dealers offer perks to differentiate themselves trying to earn new car business (I have 5 dealers within 20 miles of me for example)
Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesA View Post
If anyone deserves a loaner while their car is in the shop, it is perhaps the most helpful ambassador that the BMW 6 Series has on the information super highway. You know, the guy that helps the rest of us figure out how the car's technology actually works in the real world. Unacceptable.
If I end up writing to BMW NA, I think I may quote the above as a letter in support of my argument. lol. All joking aside, thanks for the responses, guys.

*UPDATE*
I called for an update today around lunch, and they told me they opened a ticket with BMW as they found a fuel line problem. At that time, they said they were waiting to hear back from BMW, and they'd get back to me with an answer. Still haven't heard from them, but I'm at least glad to know they're doing something about it...

Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Sorry to hear about the drivetrain issues. I had the same warning on my Dinan 550, but it was a software issue. Anyway, my dealer supplies loaners generally equivalent to the car one drives. If they run out of loaners, they supply an Enterprise rental car. Usually it's a POS, but it's a free ride none-the-less.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)