Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Persistant cooling leak from expansion tank

I've been plagued in the last few weeks with a coolant leak that just refuses to go away. I recently had to change out the heating/cooling thermostat underneath the expansion tank, and now I can't stop a leak from that area.

Best I can tell, the leak is coming from the two holes at the bottom of the expansion tank, where they sit on the mount. One has a pin clip to hold it in place, the other just sits by friction. It's the latter that seems to be wedging just a bit loose, and causing a slow, small drip. The part is the "Cooling Water Connector" that I just cannot get to stay flush after assembly. You can see it here on the great DIY:

DIY Cooling Replace, post #14, picture #5. It just wiggles around too much in the housing, there's probably a good 1/8" of play at least.

I've tried simply reseating, adding some silicone putty, but nothing I can think of will get that connector to sit flush consistently. Only other thing that comes to mind is a real adhesive or something to truly bond that connector/mount area to the tank, but I really don't want to resort to that.

Anyone have ideas??
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoisin View Post

Anyone have ideas??
Have you checked the o-rings inside those 2 ports?

I don't think removal of the tank to replace the A/T thermostat should be enough to flatten them out, but you never know.

It's usually tanks and thermostats get replaced one time together, so the o-rings are possibly not designed to be re-used.

Maybe carefully extract the problematic one, soak it in some coolant mix to make it more pliable, and reseat it?

Other than that, maybe there is a hairline fracture at the bottom of that one port.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:16 PM

Update - I ended up using some metal tape to add a bit of width to that pipe. That was enough to get the friction fit to work again. It took some effort to get things back together, but a hammer made things work ok. I did it by wrapping the slide-out part with 2 layers of high temp metal tape, putting the tank back on, then hitting the top of the tank with a rubber mallet (and the bottom, somewhat) until things came together. Best I can tell, the slow drip has stopped.

I could probably have also gotten a new expansion tank and the lower slide-out piece, but this solution wasn't half bad. And now I have extra metal tape!

The o-ring is kind of embedded into the tank, and I figured I'd just leave it alone and try the metal tank. I didn't really see an easy way to wedge it out like you were suggesting. I think the problem came from me just mucking around down there and damaging the o-rings in the first place, since I am pretty new to all this.