Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Bavarian Garage

Mein Auto: 328i Coupe
Winter Storage - Question

I store my '03 Zed usually from Nov until April of each year. She's fully detailed, gassed, and tires overinflated, and a battery tender put on before I cover it for the Winter. About every 4-6 weeks throughout the Winter, I remove the battery tender and start the car, letting it run for 20 mins or so. I let it get up to temp, and run the heater, A/C etc to get everything moving. Without driving the car, do you think I'm doing any damage by idling for 20 mins or so? My concern is that without driving it, it's not getting warm enough to burn off an condensation in the oil etc. This method has worked for me for years, but I just got concerned after reading another article about letting the oil condensation evaporate. What say you festers?

2010 328i Coupe w/Sport and Premium Pkg, Space Gray Met
2003 Z4 Roadster w/sport and premium Pkg, Sterling Gray
2010 Mercedes ML350
2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Ads by Google
Old 02-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman519 View Post
I store my '03 Zed usually from Nov until April of each year. She's fully detailed, gassed, and tires overinflated, and a battery tender put on before I cover it for the Winter. About every 4-6 weeks throughout the Winter, I remove the battery tender and start the car, letting it run for 20 mins or so. I let it get up to temp, and run the heater, A/C etc to get everything moving. Without driving the car, do you think I'm doing any damage by idling for 20 mins or so? My concern is that without driving it, it's not getting warm enough to burn off an condensation in the oil etc. This method has worked for me for years, but I just got concerned after reading another article about letting the oil condensation evaporate. What say you festers?
I store motorcycles and the car every winter for about the same period of time. Once the oil has been changed, they aren't started again until spring. I don't see any benefit to starting the car every few weeks, especially with the downside of introducing moisture and contaminants to the oil.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Alan

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
I took the advice of other folks on the forum to NOT start my Z3 periodically, specifically to avoid the oil moisture issue. I have, however, rolled it varying amounts forward and back every month or so to avoid flat spotting the tires too much.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0
Dang, you sure have me beat on winter maintenance.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 00 528, 00 MZ3
This is becoming a consideration for me lately, but my solution may be different than those who live in climates that get more moisture than mine. We get snow and the cold, but we also only get 12 inches of total precipitation, which is mostly snow. While this year has been the longest I have gone without driving the ///M, it only rested for 4 weeks maximum before I was able to get it out to play a bit in dry sunny, but cold weather.

We do not use salt on the roads around here so I don't worry about rust too much. I just wonder if any of you have considered just driving the car when the roads are clear of snow and ice.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Dave

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster 2.8 5spd
[QUOTE=ghpup;7411219
We do not use salt on the roads around here so I don't worry about rust too much. I just wonder if any of you have considered just driving the car when the roads are clear of snow and ice.[/QUOTE]

When the snow is off the roads of Wisconsin, they are still white with salt.....not here!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Alan

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Likewise here in Minnesota. Can't really be sure of no salt until all the snow is gone and several good rains have fallen. Sucks.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:01 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
In Louisville they brine the roads all winter no matter what the weather. Big tank trucks with a perforated pipe across the lane. Takes an hour to dry and makes the cars white. Then it dries to a white powder that persists for days. Then if it should snow or drizzle and try to freeze, the salt powder will keep the streets wet until the salt crystals can be spread. The salt comes up from the Louisiana salt mines by barges on the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers, right to Louisville and to the huge county salt storage igloo up the street from me. The salt trucks spill piles in every intersection, and it takes many rain storms to dissolve the moguls of salt. There is no salt free winter driving here.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:34 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Do NOT start it up unless you are going to actually drive it long enough to get everything fully up to temp.

More harm than good.

Just go sit in it and dream about better days.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 03-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Bavarian Garage

Mein Auto: 328i Coupe
Thanks. The weather's still pretty crummy here in Ohio and the roads are full of white salt residue, so driving it is out of the question for a few more weeks. Think I'll just look at it and wish for an early Spring so I can drive it again.

2010 328i Coupe w/Sport and Premium Pkg, Space Gray Met
2003 Z4 Roadster w/sport and premium Pkg, Sterling Gray
2010 Mercedes ML350
2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 03-04-2013, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Coupe and 2003 Z4
I live in SW Ohio. For me, there are usually 20-25 days during the December through March period when the temperature and the road conditions (sans salt) allow me to enjoy my Z3/Z4. I do put a little more air in the tires during this period.

Last edited by ZEEBOY; 03-05-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: Z3, 2.3 2000, Passat 1.8
Being that yellow jack is from Naples Florida, the car has never the temperatue below the frezzing mark. Now that I store the car here in NE Ohio up on jacks, battery out on a tender with a new oil changed in October going in storage and other oil change in mid March coming out of storage. I was told if you do start the engine during its storage period you should take the car out on the road and get everything warmed up for about after 20 min. so the temperture gauge is reach it operating temp. One other thing I do is placed a 100 watt light buld under the oil pan to keep the condensistation down, does it work? I don't know but it sound good to me.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
... a new oil changed in October going in storage and other oil change in mid March coming out of storage ...
Wow - no wonder oil products are getting in short supply ...

Seriously, why would you change oil that had no running time on it?
Old 03-05-2013, 04:28 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
... why would you change oil that had no running time on it?
On the Scion forum, a person believed that oil started to go bad as soon as its container was opened, said it had a shelf life and began losing its "lubricity", whether it had running time or not.

In the middle of the spectrum, some say that oil loses volume (ingredients) from evaporation, depending on a NOACK rating of volatility.

At the other end, there are those including BMWNA, who say oil can be good for 15,000 miles of running.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:29 PM

From what I can see, the NOACK test measures oil volatility over a period of time at high temperature and exposed to continuous airflow.

Considering that we are discussing undisturbed oil in an enclosed, sealed crankcase at low temperatures in the winter, I'm more than comfortable with starting up on that fresh oil in the spring and running it a few months until the fall ....
Old 03-06-2013, 03:15 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Oil changes more often than once a year on a low usage vehicle are wasting oil. Why would oil sitting in the crankcase "go bad" faster than oil in an engine being driven?

Jack stands are not a good idea, as you are leaving the suspension in an abnormal position, fully extended.

And temp gauge to normal is NOT fully warmed up. On our M Roadster and E46 M3 the oil is not fully up to temp for at least 5+ minutes after the water temp is fully up to normal. And then there is the tranny and diff. Better to NOT start it at all.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)