Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-02-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
X5 3.0 Trany problem

Hello to all of you Beamer heads

I recently experienced a small problem with my X5 trany. (02 X5 3.0)

I was driving it several days ago and my 'Trans fail-safe prog' light came on. at the time it came on it seemed to be stuck in 3rd or forth gear. (It is and Automatic) when pulling off from the stop sign, it took a little bit to get going because of being in 4th gear. So I put it in Manual drive to see if I could put it into 1st gear and so on and shift it myself, bus as i proceeded to go I looked at my display to see what gear I was in as I shifted manually and it just seemed to skip around from gear to gear randomly on the display. I couldn't feel it shifting as the display said.

fortunately I was right by my home so I pulled it back into the garage asap!

I dont know if it is a mechanical prob. like fluid/filter or if it is the trany computer unit?

I did notice about a week or so ago the when I was driving that sometimes it reved a little higher befor shifting into the next gear. 1st and 2nd gear would get up to about the red line befor shifting. shifting is smooth, no klunking or such.

HELP!
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Your symptoms are eerily similar to mine, I'll be watching for any responses in this thread, and adding any input or results that I can.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:14 AM

Similar issue here. I recently noticed that my 01 3.0 will shift very hard from 1-2, a little less hard from 2-3 and normal for the other gears. No warning light though.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 E53 3.0d Mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeithgilbert View Post
Hello to all of you Beamer heads

I recently experienced a small problem with my X5 trany. (02 X5 3.0)

I was driving it several days ago and my 'Trans fail-safe prog' light came on. at the time it came on it seemed to be stuck in 3rd or forth gear. (It is and Automatic) when pulling off from the stop sign, it took a little bit to get going because of being in 4th gear. So I put it in Manual drive to see if I could put it into 1st gear and so on and shift it myself, bus as i proceeded to go I looked at my display to see what gear I was in as I shifted manually and it just seemed to skip around from gear to gear randomly on the display. I couldn't feel it shifting as the display said.

fortunately I was right by my home so I pulled it back into the garage asap!

I dont know if it is a mechanical prob. like fluid/filter or if it is the trany computer unit?

I did notice about a week or so ago the when I was driving that sometimes it reved a little higher befor shifting into the next gear. 1st and 2nd gear would get up to about the red line befor shifting. shifting is smooth, no klunking or such.

HELP!
I had trans failsafe problems on my 2003 3.0 E53 x5 and repaired 2 months ago. The problem was MAF sensor and O-rings on the inlet air intake. Once these two were replaced I never had a problem since.
I also heard that the bad alternator will cause this problem as well. I hope this helps.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 x5 4.4i
I have a 2001 4.4i auto and it was perfect untill one day the trans fail safe mode light came on. I was stuck in like 4th gear . It was the the transmission that just went out. No signs or anything. The repair facility said it was a broken drum in the transmission. 2800.00 repair. We had it repaired now we make complete stops between reverse to drive and baby it .. Im so sorry to hear this for you.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
Since you guys are getting the trans fail safe message, the easiest way to find out why you have the message is to have the car scan for trouble codes. It may not be the cheapest way, but it's a lot cheaper than driving around with a problem in the trans in which you can do additional damage to the trans.

It could be something as simple as low fluid due to a leak. A battery that is past it prime will cause the Trans fail safe message if it can't supply enough voltage for the electronic components, or a failing alternator.

If you want to DIY you'll need to get some scanning software to communicate with the BM Trouble U. I use Carsoft 6.5, BMW Scanner 1.4 and the app Torque.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:12 AM

Mine was actually doing this after it was completely rebuilt.... Turns out the supplier of the rebuild components got ahold of a bad batch of shift solenoids! The new shift solenoids all were ohming out at 10.3 and 10.4 ohms. Book says these should be 15 to 17 ohms. My problem appears to be unique an not applicable to anyone else's situation, but went away when these three shift solenoids were replaced.

I have a decent OBD II code reader, but not the BMW one... What is the best way to obtain this capability as a DIY'er?

Keep in mind I just DIY'd removal and replacement of the trans/transfer case, starter, intake manifold, alternator... well, the whole right side of the engine really.... Replaced the oil separator valve & lines while I was there and resting

Last edited by ronzoni89; 04-03-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 AM

Regular OBD II readers were made just to read trouble codes related to emission components. Our BMW have different module such as parking distance control, Dynamic stability control, ABS, EGS, etc, etc. You will need to get specific software that can read these BMW modules.

More info can be obtain at this website bimmerforums.com they have a forum section dedicated to diagnostic software for the BMW.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 AM

If, after replacing the torque converter, I still having hard shifting, higher RPM's before shift and slippage but the trans fluid looked free of metal shavings would it be safe to think that replacing the valve body would more than likely resolve my issue?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:27 AM

What have you done to the X so far? Have you check to make sure the fluid is adequate? Have you brought the car in to get it scan? Throwing parts at a problem is not the right way to fix the problem. You have to identify the problem first.