Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 135i & '11 328xi SWgn
New Michelins

I just replaced my OEM 215/40/18 front tires with 225/40/18 Michelin non-Run Flats, and the OEM 245/35/18 back tires with 245/40/18 Michelin non-Run Flats. This is on my 2009 135i with M Sport package, and the replacement tires are Michelin Pilot Sport All Season tires.

What a HUGE difference in ride quality and quietness. I got 25,000 miles out of the original run-flats, but would have swapped them out earlier if I had known what a big difference they would make.

Best of all, my local BMW dealer did the mounting/balancing swap for $120. Thanks to others on this forum who pointed me in this direction.
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2013, 05:56 PM
135 Driver

Mein Auto: 135 Convertible
I have a 2009 135 Vert with the sport package...just got it in December, and the tread on the OEM run flats is still good...better than 50%, but I have no idea how many miles are on them. I'm debating on whether to keep them till they need to be replaced or go ahead and ditch them for some non-run flats. I know I'll be happier with the new tires, but it's hard to get rid of good tread. Decisions, decisions.

My question is what are you (or others) doing about flats or other potential emergencies? There's no room for a small spare in the trunk like a 3 series, and I've been told that sealant/compressor kits won't work if the seal on the rim is broken. They will work ok if a tire is low, but not a flat. I drive a lot in the mountains, where there are lots of pot holes and rocks, etc. and I'd hate to spend hours stranded waiting on a tow truck.

Do you have a backup plan, or just going to take your chances?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBP3 View Post
I know I'll be happier with the new tires, but it's hard to get rid of good tread. Decisions, decisions.
I change when tire tread depth is 4/32nds not 2/32nds like legally required.

A very informative video on tread depth.

http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=5

Quote:
My question is what are you (or others) doing about flats or other potential emergencies? There's no room for a small spare in the trunk like a 3 series, and I've been told that sealant/compressor kits won't work if the seal on the rim is broken. They will work ok if a tire is low, but not a flat. I drive a lot in the mountains, where there are lots of pot holes and rocks, etc. and I'd hate to spend hours stranded waiting on a tow truck.

I keep these two items in all my vehicles, even those that have a spare.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...Tire+Inflation

Quote from above site. "the temporarily sealed tire is ready to be driven for up to 125 miles (200 km) at speeds up to 50 mph"

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CAM...30-129923572-2

I figure if one doesn't work the other might?

Ps. My son also has a 2009 135 Vert

Last edited by Norm37; 03-13-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
You can certainly get a spare tire like this one
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...82E88-KIT.html

while there is not room under the trunk, most people put it above the carpet and strap it

Fix a flat is ok but of course if you get a big slash on your tire its not going to work. mainly works for small puncture leaks.

Quote:
I have a 2009 135 Vert with the sport package...just got it in December, and the tread on the OEM run flats is still good...better than 50%, but I have no idea how many miles are on them. I'm debating on whether to keep them till they need to be replaced or go ahead and ditch them for some non-run flats. I know I'll be happier with the new tires, but it's hard to get rid of good tread. Decisions, decisions.

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 135i Convertible
Unless you plan to track the car I would leave the runflats on...no use in throwing away good rubber.

And some of those who ditch the runflats carry a can of fix-a-flat, just in case.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:30 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Any time you switch out of RFT's you will get a very big improvement in ride quality. Took mine off the 335is @ 1500 miles & put them in my storage shed. They will be my last change when its time to sell the car. The 135is will get a tire swap right after break-in. I carry a flat fix package in the car + AAA if its a bad flat.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV Build Thread
Cobra Coyote First Start.
PAST:
Very, Very Long List

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 03-05-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:51 PM
1 Converted Addict

Mein Auto: 135i M-Sport 6mt Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
Any time you switch out of RFT's you will get a very big improvement in ride quality. Took mine off the 335is @ 1500 miles & put them in my storage shed. They will be my last change when its time to sell the car. The 135is will get a tire swap right after break-in. I carry a flat fix package in the car + AAA if its a bad flat.
+1, RFT suck. I would never use them again. Last two cars I bought gave the new tires to the dealer and had them put on before leaving lot. Kept RFT in storage until I gave car back. Drive quality is night and day.

PSS|PPK|PE|LUX H8 V4's|CDV Delete|
Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 135i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerbitini View Post
I just replaced my OEM 215/40/18 front tires with 225/40/18 Michelin non-Run Flats, and the OEM 245/35/18 back tires with 245/40/18 Michelin non-Run Flats. This is on my 2009 135i with M Sport package, and the replacement tires are Michelin Pilot Sport All Season tires.

What a HUGE difference in ride quality and quietness. I got 25,000 miles out of the original run-flats, but would have swapped them out earlier if I had known what a big difference they would make.

Best of all, my local BMW dealer did the mounting/balancing swap for $120. Thanks to others on this forum who pointed me in this direction.

And you had no problem putting those tires on the existing wheels that previously had tires that were 10 mm thinner? I have always wondered if this was possible...this may help to dial out some of the perceived understeer that this car has. I am about to take delivery of a 2010 135i M sport and it likely needs new front tires soon. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:13 PM
135 Driver

Mein Auto: 135 Convertible
In reading about the inflation kits it seems some have warnings that the sealant will harm the TPMS and others say they are safe for them.

Anybody have their pressure monitors ruined by one of these kits?

My daughter has a 335D and needs tires soon. I am recommending she ditches the run-flats. She will likely get a spare tire/jack kit for the trunk, but with my 135 vert I don't have room for a spare. Looks like my only option is a sealant kit and AAA.

I just need to find one that won't add $200 to the mix for a new TPMS.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
but with my 135 vert I don't have room for a spare. Looks like my only option is a sealant kit and AAA.
What about first trying the plug kit I mentioned in my first reply?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CAM...=31-95701346-2

Quote:
If you do need the sealant a set of 4 sensors and required valves are $192 at tire rack. They might sell them individually?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...TPMS&package=W

Last edited by Norm37; 03-15-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:03 AM

Quote:
but with my 135 vert I don't have room for a spare. Looks like my only option is a sealant kit and AAA.
What about first trying the plug kit I mentioned in my first reply? If that works you won't need the sealant

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CAM...=31-95701346-2

Quote:
If you do need the sealant a set of 4 sensors and required valves are $192 at tire rack. They might sell them individually?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...TPMS&package=W

Last edited by Norm37; 03-15-2013 at 10:23 AM.